Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why Is the Gulf Cleanup So Slow?

Hit By Ban Bus!

The environment impact hurts me more than the loss of jobs.

People may be able to get other jobs - especially in the clean up department but the states themselves depend on tourism and right now no one wants to go to the beaches.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

yes its awful, its very touching and very awful, i wouldn't wish that on anyone. very sad and sad whats happening to the environment and animals, those pictures i posted tore my gut out

Thanks for the pics, Alice. The blog they came from has other interesting posts on the spill and the apparent lies various forms of the US government are trying to tell us. Alexander Higgins Blog - Personal Blog of SEO and Web 2.0 expert and NJ Lead Asp.Net Developer Alexander Higgins.

Thankfully, with the internet and all the technologies we have, there is a chance of finding out the truth and getting the word out. This disaster really brings out the corrupt, secretive and sometimes evil sides of the U.S. government that exists at all levels, and that really depresses me, almost as much as the epic environmental damage.

well right after this tragedy happened, Gov. Schwarzenegger pulled the plug on his plans to allow off-shore drilling of our coast (since we're bankrupt to all hell it would have helped financially) but its big of him to see the costs are worth the potential profit if something were to happen like this.

I just wish the government helped the people instead of the corps and Big Oil. But they have our money (taxes) already and they want more (much more) from Big Oil so we get fucked and ignored while fat cats get fatter.

That said, I have hope that the Gulf will return back to normal. I'm not one of those pessimistic "liberal" fucks at DU that want the Gulf to turn black to make a point.

I also have hope that itll clean up. I dont know how but its hard to believe that as long as the Earth has been around there is nothing around to fix this problem. Surely the Earth may very well have something to clean it up and even get it back to blue. Not in this lifetime of course but maybe. I mean, it filters the water why not something with the oil as well?

^ thats how i see it too, mother nature always wins

Very distressing photos.

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    ok but can i tell you something about that; i was laid off last year and did not go to anyone for handouts. shit happens. i got myself another better job 3 months into a hard search. it is sad, but the beauty of America is that you can up and move somewhere else and do something else, we're all free to do that.

my parents are great examples of that. they didn't like their situation in new york, moved us all to oregon and had a great life for the family, not they're elsewhere.

playing the blame game doesn't get anything done for yourself. at least these people have their healthy and some possessions to maybe help fund a move. people of hurricane katrina lost everything, but some moved elsewhere are doing other things for example.
    I think unless you actually know what's going on with these people, you can't really understand. I was born in Baton Rouge, my dad crawfished those waters when I was a kid. There are people down there in those bayous who the world doesn't even realize exist. And they like it that way. Their fathers & grandfathers worked those waters and that's ALL they know how to do. That's all they are equipped for. They aren't making a whole lot of money doing it, it's their fucking LIFE! They can't pack up their kids and move anywhere else. That fucking water is their LIFE! They are poor - beyond fucking poor, they are busted. They are broke - financially and now by BP. There is no blame game - this is fucking BPs fault and our government needs to fucking man up! I mean, in all honesty, we're talking about people who (many of them) only have maybe an 8th grade education. We're talking about people who aren't going to have a resume or work experience with a company. Who the fuck is going to hire those people? Nobody, that's who.
    People were able to have sympathy and understanding when Katrina hit - well, this is worse than Katrina and will take a bigger toll on many of the same people. It's not as easy as "so move" or "just get another job" - when you were laid off, were you able to get unemployment? Do you think these people will be able to do that? No. Most won't be able to. These aren't people like you and me.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    I think unless you actually know what's going on with these people, you can't really understand. I was born in Baton Rouge, my dad crawfished those waters when I was a kid. There are people down there in those bayous who the world doesn't even realize exist. And they like it that way. Their fathers & grandfathers worked those waters and that's ALL they know how to do. That's all they are equipped for. They aren't making a whole lot of money doing it, it's their fucking LIFE! They can't pack up their kids and move anywhere else. That fucking water is their LIFE! They are poor - beyond fucking poor, they are busted. They are broke - financially and now by BP. There is no blame game - this is fucking BPs fault and our government needs to fucking man up! I mean, in all honesty, we're talking about people who (many of them) only have maybe an 8th grade education. We're talking about people who aren't going to have a resume or work experience with a company. Who the fuck is going to hire those people? Nobody, that's who.
    People were able to have sympathy and understanding when Katrina hit - well, this is worse than Katrina and will take a bigger toll on many of the same people. It's not as easy as "so move" or "just get another job" - when you were laid off, were you able to get unemployment? Do you think these people will be able to do that? No. Most won't be able to. These aren't people like you and me.
    I'm haunted by the birds and animals and those people. I have read quite a bit about that part of the world and I totally get what you are saying, it's not the same as losing your job--they have lost their whole world, going back literally hundreds of years, and many truly don't know anything else. They are part of that land and water, they subsist off it, much like the Native Americans did (and in some cases still do.) I managed to explain it to someone else the other day and made myself cry in the process.

I despise BP, the entire US government, and our corrupt, bought-and-sold presidential weenie, more than I can possibly say. Why, tell me, do idiots go shoot up innocent folks in McDonaldses when there are SUCH WORTHIER TARGETS to be pursued? I don't get that, never have and never will.

p.s. memo to FBI, NSA, CIA etc., no, I would never do any of that. But it surprises me that others do not. Humans are so good at never getting shit right.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post

I didn't know about them until I saw the special and I cried. Exactly everything you said.

THE STARTING POINT: Obama, British PM to discuss BP spill and Afghanistan

Feds: Oil, gas leaking from cap on ruptured well

– Raw Video: Latest images of oil cap

AP – An oil cleanup worker drags bags of oily sand along the stained beach in Grand Isle, La., Monday, July …

By COLLEEN LONG and MATTHEW DALY, Associated Press Writers Colleen Long And Matthew Daly, Associated Press Writers – 14 mins ago
    NEW ORLEANS – [COLOR=#366388 ! important][COLOR=#366388 ! important]BP's[/COLOR][/COLOR] broken well was leaking oil and gas again Monday for the first time since the company capped it last week, but the Obama administration's spill chief said it was no cause for alarm. The stopper was left in plac for now.
    Ever since the cap was used to bottle up the oil last week, engineers have been watching underwater cameras and monitoring pressure and seismic readings to see whether the well would hold or spring a new leak, perhaps one that could rupture the seafloor and make the disaster even worse.
    Small amounts of oil and gas started coming from the cap late Sunday, but "we do not believe it is consequential at this time," retired Coast Guard Adm. [COLOR=#366388 ! important][COLOR=#366388 ! important]Thad [COLOR=#366388 ! important]Allen[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] said.
    Also, seepage from the seafloor was detected over the weekend less than two miles away, but Allen said it probably has nothing to do with the well. Oil and gas are known to ooze naturally from fissures in the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico.
    At an afternoon briefing in Washington, Allen said BP could keep the cap closed at least another 24 hours, as long as the company remained alert for leaks.
    BP and the government had been at odds over the company's desire to simply leave the cap in place and employ it like a giant cork in a bottle until a relief well being drilled deep underground can be used to plug up the well permanently.
    Allen initially said his preference was to pipe oil through the cap to tankers on the surface to reduce the slight chance that the buildup of pressure inside the well would cause a new blowout. That plan would require releasing millions more gallons of oil into the ocean for a few days during the transition — a spectacle BP apparently wants to avoid.
    On Monday, Allen budged a bit, saying unless larger problems develop, he's not inclined to open the cap.
    Also on the table: Pumping drilling mud through the top of the cap and into the well bore to stop up the oil flow. The idea is similar to the failed top kill plan that couldn't overcome the pressure of the geyser pushing up.
    BP said it could work now because there's less oil to fight against, but it wasn't clear how such a method would affect the cap's stability. Allen said the relief well was still the plan for a permanent fix.
    BP and the government are still trying to understand why pressure readings from the well are lower than expected. Allen offered two possible explanations: The reservoir the oil is gushing from is dwindling, or there is an undiscovered leak somewhere down in the well.
    "I'm not prepared to say the well is shut in until the relief well is done," which is still several weeks away, Allen said. "There are too many uncertainties."
    BP and the Coast Guard learned that lesson the hard way after they initially said no oil was coming from the site of the [COLOR=#366388 ! important][COLOR=#366388 ! important]Deepwater [COLOR=#366388 ! important]Horizon [/COLOR][COLOR=#366388 ! important]rig[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] after it exploded April 20, killing 11 workers. Even after it became clear there was a leak, the company and its federal overseers drastically underestimated its size for weeks.
    Robert Carney, a Louisiana State University expert on biological oceanography, said the seepage is far enough away from the well that it could be occurring naturally.
    "You have little bubbles rising up from the bottom frequently; that's the [COLOR=#366388 ! important][COLOR=#366388 ! important]methane [COLOR=#366388 ! important]gas[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]" he said. "Oil would be a little black dot, more difficult to see. But both escape into the water regularly."
    One other possibility: There are around 27,000 abandoned wells in the Gulf. One of them is within two miles of BP's blowout, and there is a second well in the area that is not in production.
    While officials gave no indication that the seepage was from another well, they're not checked for leaks, an Associated Press investigation showed this month.
    Work on a permanent plug is moving steadily, with crews drilling into the side of the ruptured well from deep underground. By next week, they could start blasting in mud and cement to block off the well for good. Killing the well deep underground works more reliably than bottling it up with a cap.
    Somewhere between 94 million and 184 million gallons have gushed into the Gulf over the past three months in one of America's worst environment crises.
    BP said the cost of dealing with the spill has now reached nearly $4 billion. The company said it has made payments totaling $207 million to settle claims for damages. Almost 116,000 claims have been submitted and more than 67,500 payments have been made. [COLOR=#366388 ! important][COLOR=#366388 ! important]BP [COLOR=#366388 ! important]stock[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] was down slightly Monday.
    ___
    Daly reported from Washington. Associated Press writers Erica Werner in Washington and David Dishneau in New Orleans contributed to this report.

Source: Feds: Oil, gas leaking from cap on ruptured well - Yahoo! News
    A cap has been placed but look, theres a leak.

Hit By Ban Bus!

BP's public image problems took a turn for the weirder on Monday, with AMERICAblog's John Aravosis exposing a poorly doctored photo of the company's crisis command center in Houston that had been posted to the official crisis response website. The company has now come clean (sort of) to The Washington Post -- claiming this morning that it was the photographer who snapped the image who was responsible for inserting three extra video screens into a bank of monitors. It still remains unclear, though, precisely why the alterations were even made in the first place.

surge-desk/article/why-would-bp-photoshop-its-crisis-command-center/19561136

my choice - 3. BP just doesn't care

My family and I had fun at the beach but it was really sad to see. No planes flying over with advertisements. No parasailing, etc. There were people there but no where near the number for the month of July. Tar balls look like a pile of dog shit when they hit the shore.

My family and I got in the water anyway. There is going to be some really devastated businesses in Gulf Shores due to this and I can't even imagine how bad it is in Louisiana.

Sign petitions people. Donate money if you can.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Forgive me, I dont mean to be rude, but donate money to who? BP for the clean up? No way in the World.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information