Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is this election such a dead heat? After 8 years of Bush, it has no right to be

Also, on a related note, this country is quite conservative and religious compared to most western countries. I don't think you're ever going to see the left blow out the right in an election. Even after Bush I, who was unpopular mostly due to the economy, Bill Clinton only won with the help of Ross Perot splitting the vote. He didn't get a majority.

I think it's primarly all this culture war stuff, it particularly resonates with people middle aged and older. Throw in the very effective demonization the right has done to the word "liberal" which is now applied to everyone who wants to expand health coverage or believes in global warming, plus the whole Muslim & racial subtext that's being flung at the Dem's chosen candidate, and you've got a very tight race. In the weeks ahead, I think one side or another is going to screw up and tilt the race in a more decided direction. Please let it be Palin who totally shows her ass.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

on a related Palin note, the name "Caribou Barbie" is gaining traction on the blogs and talking head spheres

Congrats, whoever came up with that here.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Sweetie and anyone else that is thinking of voting Republican:
    Do not get caught in the trap of thinking Roe V. Wade is not going to effect you. It will-and most of your personally. You may have had a healthy baby. Let's say that child was born 4 years from now and was NOT healthy. Lets say Downs Syndrome. There are Mothers who can cope beautifully with an imperfect child. I am not sure I could. It should remain every Mothers CHOICE. Palin had her baby and has the support of a large family and lots of money. She can afford that care for an eternity. She had made the decision what works for her will have to work for you. What gives her that right? She seems to be mired in scandal already. If John McCain REALLY loved his whole COUNTRY better than his own conservative supporters,he would not have caved and would have a different,more experienced running mate. He got one for Show n'Tell,instead. This novelty will wear off.
    As a Mother,you have to consider the future for your children. No abortions mean more population. More garbage.More cars. More Global Warming.More crime from hoods whose Mothers never wanted them.
    Lets say in the future you,your daughter,your neice,your granddaugter gets raped. This woman-the pitbull-wants to deny them an abortion. My family is safe-we have the money to fly ours to another country if necessary. There are people on here-people we cyber love-who could not possibly afford that. This ticket does not care about those poorer people. I care.
    Gay rights don't effect your family? Think-could one of your beautiful children turn out to be gay ,years later? Do you love them only if they are straight or do you want their happiness no matter what their preference. Never say what your children will never do,my Mother always told me. We just have to protect all children. Even the children in our future.
    I would rather see 10 abortions than 1 more little abused and tortured baby. My heart cannot take it. If you are religious-and I am-send the unwated pregnancies back to God. He can recycle.
    The dollar is no longer "sound". The national debt will drown our children. Unemployment is high. Jobs have been blithely shipped overseas. Bush has single handedly shoved our whole nation down. No child left behind? Managed to take a decade of bright children down with it. All on the Rebublican watch,with McCain aiding and abetting. No one feels safe. Our houses are even devalued. McCain sounds good. I know he is a decent man,but self preservation has gotten the best of him,I fear. I did not feel that way untill Palin. He is trying to preserve himself at our expense. Obama is an unknown,true. But he is not stupid,nor is he hung up on self preservation. In fact,he needs to step it up a notch! He has a lot of solid people to call upon for advise-and he seems actually willing to take it. Maybe Clinton can get the National Debt back down-I know it will be better.
    One more thing-I know we are disagreeing left & right here-but we all love our families,we are all great people-so lets try to keep it like we do football! A lighter touch,more gentle teasing-no sledgehammer stuff. We are friends and we must not let politics end "us",please.
    Last edited by McJag; September 8th, 2008 at 12:08 PM. Reason: edited to remove Sweetness,who is not and never has been a Mother! Grimm in another matter.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Sweetie had a baby?? Well, then I'll have to vote for Obama ... wtf
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

at this time i'd like to point out how fucking relevant my sig is.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Sweetie and anyone else that is thinking of voting Republican:
    Do not get caught in the trap of thinking Roe V. Wade is not going to effect you. It will-and most of your personally. You,Sweetie have just had a healthy baby. Let's say that child was born 4 years from now and was NOT healthy. Lets say Downs Syndrome. There are Mothers who can cope beautifully with an imperfect child. I am not sure I could. It should remain every Mothers CHOICE. Palin had her baby and has the support of a large family and lots of money. She can afford that care for an eternity. She had made the decision what works for her will have to work for you. What gives her that right? She seems to be mired in scandal already. If John McCain REALLY loved his whole COUNTRY better than his own conservative supporters,he would not have caved and would have a different,more experienced running mate. He got one for Show n'Tell,instead. This novelty will wear off.
    As a Mother,you have to consider the future for your children. No abortions mean more population. More garbage.More cars. More Global Warming.More crime from hoods whose Mothers never wanted them.
    Lets say in the future you,your daughter,your neice,your granddaugter gets raped. This woman-the pitbull-wants to deny them an abortion. My family is safe-we have the money to fly ours to another country if necessary. There are people on here-people we cyber love-who could not possibly afford that. This ticket does not care about those poorer people. I care.
    Gay rights don't effect your family? Think-could one of your beautiful children turn out to be gay ,years later? Do you love them only if they are straight or do you want their happiness no matter what their preference. Never say what your children will never do,my Mother always told me. We just have to protect all children. Even the children in our future.
    I would rather see 10 abortions than 1 more little abused and tortured baby. My heart cannot take it. If you are religious-and I am-send the unwated pregnancies back to God. He can recycle.
    The dollar is no longer "sound". The national debt will drown our children. Unemployment is high. Jobs have been blithely shipped overseas. Bush has single handedly shoved our whole nation down. No child left behind? Managed to take a decade of bright children down with it. All on the Rebublican watch,with McCain aiding and abetting. No one feels safe. Our houses are even devalued. McCain sounds good. I know he is a decent man,but self preservation has gotten the best of him,I fear. I did not feel that way untill Palin. He is trying to preserve himself at our expense. Obama is an unknown,true. But he is not stupid,nor is he hung up on self preservation. In fact,he needs to step it up a notch! He has a lot of solid people to call upon for advise-and he seems actually willing to take it. Maybe Clinton can get the National Debt back down-I know it will be better.
    One more thing-I know we are disagreeing left & right here-but we all love our families,we are all great people-so lets try to keep it like we do football! A lighter touch,more gentle teasing-no sledgehammer stuff. We are friends and we must not let politics end "us",please.
    First off, I never said I was voting republicans. I don't care to vote Dem or Rep., they both suck ass.
    And you must have me confused with someone else because I didn't just have a baby, nor have I ever.

Did anyone see the actual breakdown of who will benefit from the tax cuts under both plans?? Silly but those who earn over 2.9 million will get a $13000 break from McSame and have to pay an additional $529 under Obama. The biggest break was to the working poor at $39,000 annually and went down from there. It was on CNN last night.
    as privileged as a whore...victims in demand for public show, swept out through the cracks beneath the door, holier than thou, how?

lol, it was Sweetness who just had a baby.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

I think it's primarly all this culture war stuff, it particularly resonates with people middle aged and older.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are selling a 'feeling', and 'ideal'.......right or wrong many older people have the rose colored glasses perspective when viewing the past. They recall times when everyone slept with unlocked doors, there were no child molesters, no one had sex until they got married so there weren't any bastard welfare children running around sucking up tax money, everyone stayed married for life, the milkman delivered to yuor door, everyone prayed in school, and doctors still made house calls. They don't want to let go of that vision and it doesn't matter if you can factually remind them of why all those things weren't real to begin with.

It's a feeling of belonging to the most powerful team on the planet. Also there is a feeling of being part of a powerful majority (as they see it) that runs eveything even if they don't benefit individually.........specifically, white and Christian. You get to be superior by association.

It isn't logical, but I suspect it really has a lot to do with it.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

white folks be scurred dat dey need more cracker baybeez

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    I think it's primarly all this culture war stuff, it particularly resonates with people middle aged and older.

They are selling a 'feeling', and 'ideal'.......right or wrong many older people have the rose colored glasses perspective when viewing the past. They recall times when everyone slept with unlocked doors, there were no child molesters, no one had sex until they got married so there weren't any bastard welfare children running around sucking up tax money, everyone stayed married for life, the milkman delivered to yuor door, everyone prayed in school, and doctors still made house calls. They don't want to let go of that vision and it doesn't matter if you can factually remind them of why all those things weren't real to begin with.

It's a feeling of belonging to the most powerful team on the planet. Also there is a feeling of being part of a powerful majority (as they see it) that runs eveything even if they don't benefit individually.........specifically, white and Christian. You get to be superior by association.

It isn't logical, but I suspect it really has a lot to do with it.

That may be true, but my 85 year old WWII veteran mother is so sick of Dubya and his bullshit, she wants an absentee ballot to vote for Obama. Plus Obama's tax plan has an incentive that anyone over 65 who earns under 50,000 a year does not have to file income tax and she is loving that!
    as privileged as a whore...victims in demand for public show, swept out through the cracks beneath the door, holier than thou, how?

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    First off, I never said I was voting republicans. I don't care to vote Dem or Rep., they both suck ass.
    And you must have me confused with someone else because I didn't just have a baby, nor have I ever.
    Just figured out-you were the wrong Sweet! Sorry and duh!! Still-I mean what I say. Everyone think it over more carefully than ever.
    The WORST thing anyone can do is get po'd and not vote at all. This would be a good time to get out and VOTE even if you don't love one 100% . Just go for the 60% or whatever. Don't let it slide and leave it up to others. You ARE the others. Just VOTE.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    on a related Palin note, the name "Caribou Barbie" is gaining traction on the blogs and talking head spheres

Congrats, whoever came up with that here.
    I object on the grounds that it is insulting to caribou. They'd be horrified. Seriously, one of the main objections to drilling ANWR is that it will devastate the caribou, on whom one of the native tribes is dependent for much of their sustenance. Their migration pattern will be gravely affected.

Current politics
    Caribou is traditionally a major component of their diet. Many Gwichʼin people are dependent on the Porcupine caribou which herd calves on the coastal plain in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR). Gwichʼin people have been very active in protesting and lobbying against the possibility of oil drilling in ANWR, due to fears that oil drilling will deplete the population of the Porcupine Caribou herd which they rely on for nutritional and cultural needs. Gwich'in have also actively protested the development of oil in the Yukon Flats National Wildlife Refuge, and a proposed land trade from the United States Wildlife Refuge system and Doyon Inc
    Current politics
    Gwich’in - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Can we go with something like "Moose-killer Barbie" instead.?

[quote=crumpet;1363494]I think it's primarly all this culture war stuff, it particularly resonates with people middle aged and older.

They are selling a 'feeling', and 'ideal'.......right or wrong many older people have the rose colored glasses perspective when viewing the past. [quote]

true but don't forget about the baby boomers. Many people who are now senior citizens were hippies.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by ymeman View Post
    I object on the grounds that it is insulting to caribou. They'd be horrified. Seriously, one of the main objections to drilling ANWR is that it will devastate the caribou, on whom one of the native tribes is dependent for much of their sustenance. Their migration pattern will be gravely affected.

Current politics
    Caribou is traditionally a major component of their diet. Many Gwichʼin people are dependent on the Porcupine caribou which herd calves on the coastal plain in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR). Gwichʼin people have been very active in protesting and lobbying against the possibility of oil drilling in ANWR, due to fears that oil drilling will deplete the population of the Porcupine Caribou herd which they rely on for nutritional and cultural needs. Gwich'in have also actively protested the development of oil in the Yukon Flats National Wildlife Refuge, and a proposed land trade from the United States Wildlife Refuge system and Doyon Inc
    Current politics
    Gwich’in - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Can we go with something like "Moose-killer Barbie" instead.?
    I personally liked "Yukon Barbie" which someone here came up with first. "Caribou Barbie" sounds like "Malibu Barbie" so I can see why it caught on.

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread Information