Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do straights hate gays? (Larry Kramer)

oh those little shits i still haven't gotten my lapdance either
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

*gasp*

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    IThere are many days when I don't get much satisfaction from my job, but there is one thing that does make me proud, and it's that I helped to create an environment for teenagers in which it was ok & safe to be gay.
    that's very cool lobelia..i'm in los angeles and i think there are a lot of open-minded people here..it's a big city and there are a lot of artists of all kinds obviously..

I'm in the south, and would expect a lot of hatred for gays, but I haven't seen any, really. (I know it's out there, I've just been lucky.) I just see lots of disapproval & fear. Can't figure out what these people are so damned afraid of...
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

i'm from the south too and i've seen the hate but mostly llike you said lobelia it's disapproval and fear. A lot of people will let that turn into hate though. I don't understand it either
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

theyre just afraid i'll pork them all, some very butt-centric fear going around.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Yes, people are quite protective of the general butt-area
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    nevermind, im going crazy...must be the drugs,.,.
    It is only fair to SHARE~!!!!
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

I'd never seen much gay bashing till my husband joined the military. Of course, I grew up in New Orleans, a place that spawned Richard Simmons and that has a huge gay district so no one there batts an eyelash when two men hold hands in public or if a man decides to dress sort of effeminately or (insert non-hetero activity here). It's just part of the landscape.

The military was a different story. The Mr knew a number of gays in the military, even roomed with one during AIT, but not everyone was cool with it. We both witnesses some pretty horrible situations where the suspected gays in the unit were dissed. This is another thing I love about the Mr, I've yet to here a bashing thing about gays or race ever come out of his mouth in the 20 years we've been together.

my short answer: because unfortunately most people are stupid and ignorant and it takes them a looooong time to understand and accept any sort of change to the status quo. it defies rationality, logic and common sense.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I still think that hetero men who have such a violent and irrational fear/hatred of gays are desperately trying to suppress their own latent homoerotic tendencies.
    I agree. I also agree the poster who said that people are often afraid of what seems strange or incomprehensible to them.

I have never had a problem with gays and have always had gay friends. The gays I have known have always been kind, cordial, and a lot of fun! Maybe that's why I get upset when they are treated badly or are denied civil rights. There was a stupid "No Gay Marriage"resolution that passed in my state last November. Probably most of the folks who voted for it were pretty decent, but dreadfully influenced by the right-wing hysteria that is so prevalent here in the good ole Bible Belt. I voted against it, because I think gays should be allowed to marry. I have known some gay couples, and as far as I can tell their relationships don't differ significantly from heterosexual relationships. It's really not a big deal to me. I doubt the world would stop turning if gays were allowed to marry.

People who are afraid of gays or hate gays should spend more time with them and get to know them instead of muttering against them. Then they might at least see that they are flesh and blood human beings and are not seeking to take over the world or destroy civilization as they know it.

I think that what we teach our children will make the differece for the future of all equal rights issues. As I have stated before I am catholic and attend church regularly. I firmly beleive that God has created all of us different for a reason. I don't know about you guys but I like knowing that there are different types of people out there. It's funny that this post is up. A couple of weeks ago I took my oldest daughter shopping (she is seven). We saw two women in front of us holding hands and they stopped to kiss each other. I saw my daughter have a strange look on her face so I stopped to talk to her. She asked me why the two women were holding hands and kissing. I told her the truth...some girls like girls and some boys like boys. I also told her that it is normal and you love who you love no matter their gender. She then smiled and said oh so I can love a boy or a girl. I then told her she can love whom ever she wants as long as she is happy and is treated with respect. Sorry for the ramble (I've only had one cup of joe this morning) but I just wanted to show that their are many christians who are not so close minded. I was a dancer when I was younger (no not go-go) and I was exposed to all sorts of people and I am thankful for that. I think it has shaped who I am and how I think. If I had not of been exposed to different people I may not be as open minded as I am. I think sometimes people fear what they do not understand. Can I give all the gay and lesbian gossiprockers a big . I love you all and I pray that you will get the equallity that you deserve!!
    Come on you guys, enough already. Let's ALL go and fuck ourselves for a few minutes and return to the thread refreshed and relaxed. Gossip Rocks poster A*O

I don't have any answers either, other than what has already been stated. I think a large part of it is fear. Fear that someone of the same sex is "looking at you that way" or they will try and "do something to you". Another thing that always comes up and ends up in bloodshed on a board I frequent is the topic of pedophilia. The fundies think all gay men are pedophiles and members of NAMBLA. You just cannot get it thru their thick skulls that comparing the two is apples and oranges. I eventually took the biggest homophobic of the bunch to task privately and after awhile he admitted he really has no problem with gays, that it was basically a big act he was putting up, a macho act if you will. I think that's the problem with a lot of these men, they pound their chests and try to act superior and unaccepting because they are afraid of their buddies thinking they are a girly man.

Luckily I was raised by a bi-sexual parent that instilled in me the value of respecting others no matter what their orientation is. I've been surrounded by many grandmothers and mothers my whole life and can tell you they have been there for me and showed me guidance more so than any member of my extended family or hetero friends. If people don't want to accept gays or bring them into their lives, it is their loss.

I just don't get the Republicans and their high profile gay members and/or family members, using anti-gay rhetoric to get votes.

-Karl Rove's adopted father was a gay man and yet he's the mastermind behind pimping the evangelical right for votes.
    -Dick Cheney, his daughter Mary is pregnant with her and her partner's child, has no problem telling the religious right what they want to hear as well as pushing through ideology into legistlation.
    -Ken Mehlman, former Republican party chair, longtime undercover gay man, and shameless promoter of candidates who politically deny gay Americans rights and recognition.

I just don't get that at all.
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

Self loathing fags that should be strung up by their necks, and their evil straight enablers.

Some people will do anythiing for power, money, or to hide from themselves.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information