Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Why do Republicans see free universal health care as a bad thing?

Hit By Ban Bus!

My sister who had a stroke and had to quit work is on 100% disability..and keeps getting turned down for federal health insurance

The same thing happened to my mother. After taking a medical leave from her job to undergo chemo and radiation, she had to practically crawl back to work to keep up her health insurance! No way could she have afforded COBRA payments. She was finally forced to stop working just three months before she died! How incredibly barbaric is it that people who are sick enough for SSDI can't get Medicaid coverage? The mind boggles.

Looking back on it, I guess it was something of a blessing that only a year passed between her diagnosis and death. How can people go on like she did for years and years?

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

My other sister had such poor health care she wasn't diagnosed with Lou Gherig's disease until 2 months before she died. She probably had it for years. Yes, she would have died anyway, but we could have done things with her, let her have some fun as she had such a crappy life. They kept telling her she had nueropothy because of her diabetes. She was poor, so she just didn't count.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Quote Originally Posted by nana55 View Post
    My other sister had such poor health care she wasn't diagnosed with Lou Gherig's disease until 2 months before she died. She probably had it for years. Yes, she would have died anyway, but we could have done things with her, let her have some fun as she had such a crappy life. They kept telling her she had nueropothy because of her diabetes. She was poor, so she just didn't count.
    wow, Im sorry about that, very sad.
    My husband lost his brother to LGD last year after a 5 year battle, wayyy longer than they gave him.
    He had no insurance but he had the best care available somehow. I wish I knew how he did it. He lived at a facility that was actually more a rehab live in clinic, but of course there was no rehab for him. He had an RT that was with him 24/7. They took excellent care for him and he went home where he lived almost a year. With all of the equipment he needed, he even had a handicap van that his wife drove so he could visit relatives. My husbands parents paid for addition nursing care so someone would be with him around the clock in case something happened.
    I cant believe your sister didnt get a correct diagnosis. That is horrible.
    Tim was diagnosed about a month after he developed drop foot. I cant imagine him going so long before they told what was really wrong.
    Im sorry for your loss
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Elite Member

Cupcake, I think participating in this forum has been good for you...it seems you were uber-Republican when you began posting here but that your views have softened a bit.

I know this is a "gossip board" but I really appreciate the diversity of people here who post about their experiences. In my life in particular, I am surrounded by people who are at times seemingly brainwashed by Republican talking points, and it is really nice to have a place to discuss different views. I also believe a lot of people who post in this forum know a lot about the world and politics, and I appreciate the chance to learn from their knowledge.

Saw my in-laws yesterday, for instance, and we started talking about Iran and our involvement in the middle east and my SIL said "they attacked us" and I almost attacked her. I told her to stop stereotyping millions of people based on a religious extremist terrorist organization, that "they" who attacked us was not the entire Islamic nation. I then asked her if all Christians bomb abortion clinics.

Today I had to deal with my dad who watches FOX news all day and he and his wife have a ton of misconceptions and misinformation, and all because they isolate themselves and listen to the same opinions day after day. My dad even listens to Rush. He thinks Jindal is great.

I have to bite my tongue a lot and frankly it is really hard for me to try and keep dealing with this. It's nice to have a reprieve here.

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    Cupcake, I think participating in this forum has been good for you...it seems you were uber-Republican when you began posting here but that your views have softened a bit.

I know this is a "gossip board" but I really appreciate the diversity of people here who post about their experiences. In my life in particular, I am surrounded by people who are at times seemingly brainwashed by Republican talking points, and it is really nice to have a place to discuss different views. I also believe a lot of people who post in this forum know a lot about the world and politics, and I appreciate the chance to learn from their knowledge.

Saw my in-laws yesterday, for instance, and we started talking about Iran and our involvement in the middle east and my SIL said "they attacked us" and I almost attacked her. I told her to stop stereotyping millions of people based on a religious extremist terrorist organization, that "they" who attacked us was not the entire Islamic nation. I then asked her if all Christians bomb abortion clinics.

Today I had to deal with my dad who watches FOX news all day and he and his wife have a ton of misconceptions and misinformation, and all because they isolate themselves and listen to the same opinions day after day. My dad even listens to Rush. He thinks Jindal is great.

I have to bite my tongue a lot and frankly it is really hard for me to try and keep dealing with this. It's nice to have a reprieve here.
    Thanks.
    I have never been a Republican, but I have leaned more conservative in the last ten years but grew up in a very Liberal household and a family of strict democrats for generations. Im just trying to look at the WHOLE picture now. I have never been so newsy as this election and bounced around a bit before deciding that Mccain would be a better president for how I viewed things. I strongly believe that everything happens for a reason and I was not upset when Obama won. I just knew that I had to respect him and support him even tho I dont agree with everything. I didnt agree with everything about Mccain either. Im not too newsy these days. Im burnt out and what will be will be. Im just keeping the faith that the right decisions will be made and this country will once again be all it should be.
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

I think the word 'free' in front of healthcare is what sets a lot of people off, becuase it isn't 'free' at all......we will pay heavily in taxes to finance that system. That's fine if it's what you see as the better option, but calling it free is not accurate.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elite Member

It is my understanding that the plan Obama is proposing is not "free" at all, it is making the same insurance companies that cover federal employees offer affordable coverage to working and middle class families who are not covered by their employer's plan or are self-employed. Premiums would be paid by the insured. It just allows the insured to qualify for a group rate.

Am I right? What's the BFD?

I guess with that plan, you would still have that false safety net where if you lose your income you're screwed because you can't afford health care. For those people, the choices would eventually still be bankruptcy v. suffering and death.

I just wish they would figure it all out. i want to see it all in black and white and then see how I feel. Im pretty confused about it all right now. I hear good things then not so good things...errrr
    Rip Mom

yes that's right, Obama took the public option off the table, and any real healthcare transformation isn't happening.

Sorry kids, everybody got had by Obama and the Dems.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

what happened grimm?
    Rip Mom

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    I just wish they would figure it all out. i want to see it all in black and white and then see how I feel. Im pretty confused about it all right now. I hear good things then not so good things...errrr
    Try checking out Health Care Reform Plans - Home.

It looks at a bunch of the plans proposed by various groups, individuals, as well as other countries (5 different countries - I was most interested in those since those systems are actually in use). The site provides basics on the plans, including the impact on the federal government, states, insurers, providers, employers, and individuals. There's even a grid that compares all of the plans.
    Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket...

Thanks
    Rip Mom

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    yes that's right, Obama took the public option off the table, and any real healthcare transformation isn't happening.

Sorry kids, everybody got had by Obama and the Dems.
    Well, Obama can take it off the table. In the meantime, he will have many Americans, such as myself, filing for bankruptcy because they can't possibly pay their med bills(I paid what I could when I was employed). Sooooo...I guess the effin government can pay me unemployment and take care of my bankruptcy. Why can't they figure this shit out. I don't WANT to file for bankruptcy and put this on tax payers shoulders but what the hell do I do??? THIS MAKES ME SOOOO MAD!!!
    I'm not quite drunk enough to really care, but is this her violation of her violation of her violation of her violation of probation or her violation of her violation of her violation of her probation????? ~MontanaMama on LL's latest arrest.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Although the Obama plan is far from perfection, at least something is intended to be done. In my opinion, the best system is that of the European countries like France or Germany: a huge Government-run (either Federally or each state) health system paid through taxes. Of course, those who wanted private medicine could use it

But to be honest, I see this very difficult to happen. The GOP and those who side with it will start yelling "communism" and people will freak out. And the insurance companies, they will lobby fiercely against it, because all their business-scam system will be screwed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information