Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do Republicans see free universal health care as a bad thing?

So I will be able to keep my current insurance company. Will it be mandatory to carry it on employees and If I dont want to pay for insurance can I just cancel my policy and get free healthcare?
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

No, in most countries socialized healthcare will pay for most things but not all.. work plans pick up the slack. I would imagine it's cheaper for employers as they usually offer dental (not covered in socialized healthcare for the most part, which is a bit silly but anyway) and drug costs..

If you go to the hospital, you get treated no matter what it is.. broken leg, heart transplant, it's taken care of through taxes.

for instance, if i didnt have work insurance, i would have to pay more for medication.., not the exorbitant prices Americans pay, but a chunk of cash. The costs of medication are regulated so there's no gouging for profit, or very minimal. With work supplemented health plans, the employee pays like a 2 dollar dispensing fee. no copays, nothing like that.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

hmmmmmmmm sounds good to me.
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

it's not perfect, but it's a damnsight better than medical care for profit, with no other choice.. that just seems barbaric.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

My mom just retired from United Healthcare. She worked for another smaller insurance co. that was bought out by United and stayed on the last 2 years with United. She HATED it. They run the company for total profit and nothing else. They will deny your insurance claim unless you call to dispute it. THAT's the big problem with the insurance/healthcare industry, and I don't like that it gets pitched as free healthcare for deadbeats.

If there's anything I would not mind my taxes going to pay for it's healthcare. I know too many people who've had to go without because of various circumstances thrust upon them where they had no insurance for a spell. And even if you're lucky enough to rarely need it, it never fails that some emergency occurs when you're in between insurance. Also tired of seeing people who've worked hard all their lives go bankrupt and lose everything they have because of medical bills through the roof in spite of insurance that they fought tooth and nail to hold on to. It's just inhuman. Especially since a lot of the victims of this current healthcare system are children. I can't even begin to imagine the peace of mind it would have given me to know that whatever happened to my husband and I with regard to jobs, etc. we'd always have health care. I do not understand people who act like their taxes (even if it raises them) potentially going to pay for something like this is a "burden" (but spending trillions on a pointless war is somehow okay?)

Also like to add that every single person I've personally met who actually lived in a country with national healthcare...and used it...had only good things to say about the quality of care they received, many even claiming it way superior to what they've experienced here in the US.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    If there's anything I would not mind my taxes going to pay for it's healthcare. I know too many people who've had to go without because of various circumstances thrust upon them where they had no insurance for a spell. And even if you're lucky enough to rarely need it, it never fails that some emergency occurs when you're in between insurance. Also tired of seeing people who've worked hard all their lives go bankrupt and lose everything they have because of medical bills through the roof in spite of insurance that they fought tooth and nail to hold on to. It's just inhuman. Especially since a lot of the victims of this current healthcare system are children. I can't even begin to imagine the peace of mind it would have given me to know that whatever happened to my husband and I with regard to jobs, etc. we'd always have health care. I do not understand people who act like their taxes (even if it raises them) potentially going to pay for something like this is a "burden" (but spending trillions on a pointless war is somehow okay?)

Also like to add that every single person I've personally met who actually lived in a country with national healthcare...and used it...had only good things to say about the quality of care they received, many even claiming it way superior to what they've experienced here in the US.
    I totally agree with everything you've written here. ::thumbs up::

People need to stop and think: it will be much, much cheaper to pay higher taxes to cover everyone than to pay exhorbitant insurance premiums just for your family. With everybody contributing (except the poorest of the poor) it can't help but cost less. I say, add everyone to Medicare and Medicaid, which are programs already in place and that work very well, and be done with it.

Just recently, our group premiums doubled because my husband's employer decided he no longer wanted to contribute. Of course this did not apply to management, just to the working stiffs who actually generate the cash flow. We'll try to hang on as long as we can.

[quote=CornFlakegrl;1779310]To answer the post question -- because it's not free.[/q

Precisely!!!
    mama mia*
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. - William Arthur Ward

Because Republicans are good friends with the insurance lobbies.
    That, and because Republicans can't stand the thought of "poor" people getting help from a government program.

Cause afterall getting healthcare is like using food stamps and Section 8 housing and only people who get those are poor and lazy, thus wasting taxpayer's money. Just ask my asshole Republcian co-worker.....whose uninsured by the way.

Hit By Ban Bus!

But corporate welfare is perfectly fine!

Im 100 % for the poor receiving anything if they truly are in need. In need is the key word. That means not driving a new Lexus with a ton of gold and diamonds on your body.
    So many people abuse the system and alot of the times the ones that really need the help arent able to get it. It heats me up.
    Rip Mom

^^ Yeah, I know. I would love for there to be free health care, however I am afraid of how screwed up it would be over here...

Things gots to change, but we should do some serious reflection about how to proceed. I have heard truly awful things about the NHS in the U.K. This is from users of the system, but also from my friend who was trained as a doctor there. Absolute horror stories about the patient/doctor ratio while training, the doctor contract and placement bureaucracy leading to big doctor shortages and a disincentive to go into the field, and downright dangerous practices. All due to being run by politicians who know nothing about medicine. She left and now practices in the U.S. (Florida), where she does NOT think it's perfect at all, but believes a government-run system would be a disaster here. I do think there's a middle ground between what could work here and the NHS, I just think some are too quick to jump on anyone who has concerns as someone who's a right-wing dickhead.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Quote Originally Posted by missjuicy View Post
    many see it as a form of communism where the government has control over everything. you have limitations and restrictions that would help the impoverished but would bother the better off.
    Here's what confuses me. I can go to any hospital I need to, whatever doctor I need to (if they're taking new patients, etc.), and get whatever treatment needed without the gubmint saying anything.
    But don't some insurance companies (in the US) say what hospitals/doctors they can go to and what treatments they deem necessary/not necessary??? So it's okay when the insurance companies can 'control' and restrict treatment?

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    So I will be able to keep my current insurance company. Will it be mandatory to carry it on employees and If I dont want to pay for insurance can I just cancel my policy and get free healthcare?
    Here's how it works (for us anyway). Doctors visits, hospital visits, etc don't cost anything.
    Most people have insurance for things like dental, vision, other non-essential treatments, and prescriptions because you pay that out of pocket than get reimbursed via insurance.
    For example:
    My mother, through work benefits, has full dental, 50 or 75% vision, full coverage on orthopedics, etc and prescriptions.
    When we were looking for a new dentist, one dentist required you to pay
    upfront after the procedure, cleaning, whatever than insurance would reimburse you later. Another didn't require the up-front payment and allowed the balance to go directly to the insurance company (nothing out of pocket.)
    Another example would be my mother's orthopedics. They cost about $400 bucks. She pays for that out-of pocket, sends in the appropriate insurance forms than gets reimbursed within a week or so.
    Most employers also have a separate plan for prescriptions.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    Someones going to have to pay for it. Id like to know how they are going to afford this...higher taxes? We all pay then
    Yes, you do, just like you pay for schools, police, fire services, libraries, etc. etc. etc. Are you saying you're willing to pay to have trash collection but not medical care?

In Europe it works various ways. In Sweden most doctor visits have a co-pay of about 20-30 bucks. Dentist is more pricey but is free for kids up to, I think, age 16. Prescriptions are co-pay with a yearly cap. In England doctor visits are free and prescriptions are either co-pay or free, depending on what you're problem is. Surgery is more or less free.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information