Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why do blue collar workers vote Republican?

SVZ

DOREEEN get mah ham

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Wow, this is just full of all kinds of stereotypes y'all.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

It's also the "They took our jobs!" effect.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Just because someone is a blue collar worker does not make them as a whole ignorant or stupid. This is all kinds of fucked up.

There are plenty of people pulling down massive salaries working white collar jobs that are going to vote for McCain & Palin like the guy driving the brand new 7 series with the fucking sticker on the back of his car for McCain/Palin.

I understand that they are campaigning and pandering to "regular people" or "joe six pack" whatever the fuck; it's fucking insulting to some. And then to have supposedly enlightened people who plan to make the "right" choice sit here on this site and call them as a whole ignorant and uneducated... wtf.

Since this isn't racism what would you call it? Classist? It's still really fucking ugly.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Quote Originally Posted by nycgirly101 View Post
    that, and they get scared by the "higher taxes" the Repubs keep claiming they'll get under democrats
    This is a subject I've wanted to address before.

How many of those workers actually pay taxes? I mean, I know they have taxes withheld from their paychecks (speaking about federal taxes, which is what they're talking about when presidential runners talk about taxes), but don't most of them get refunds equal to what was withheld, if not that, plus more? To me, if you're really just loaning the government money that you're going to get back anyway, why the hell do you care if your taxes are raised? You're going to get it back.

As someone who has paid over 15k in federal taxes for years, and not gotten a refund of any sort, I'm the type that should be worrying about higher taxes. Not someone who, at the end of the day, doesn't really pay any besides loaning the government money till April 15th.

Or am I misunderstanding the whole tax system?
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    Just because someone is a blue collar worker does not make them as a whole ignorant or stupid. This is all kinds of fucked up.

There are plenty of people pulling down massive salaries working white collar jobs that are going to vote for McCain & Palin like the guy driving the brand new 7 series with the fucking sticker on the back of his car for McCain/Palin.

I understand that they are campaigning and pandering to "regular people" or "joe six pack" whatever the fuck; it's fucking insulting to some. And then to have supposedly enlightened people who plan to make the "right" choice sit here on this site and call them as a whole ignorant and uneducated... wtf.

Since this isn't racism what would you call it? Classist? It's still really fucking ugly.
    i understand what you mean but by working class, i don't just mean in terms of the amount of money they make or the type of job they do. i understood it in terms of being working class not only because of occupation but also education level. i know plenty of people that are technically working class but whose level of education and knowledge of the world are anything but, whether through formal education or self-taught.
    there's no denying that in recent years, there has been a shift in terms of blue collar voting patterns, they've been going increasingly to the right. i think it's fair to want to know the reasons.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Gold Member

Like those who make up Barack Obama's inner city voter base (1/2 of whom are probably high school drop outs and welfare queens) have high IQs and are politically knowledgeable.

I'm not a Republican, but I don't think intelligence has anything to do with political affiliation. Those who do believe that show their ignorance.

People who believe bullshit despite direct and incontrovertible evidence that it's a lie are idiots.

Since 98% of what the Rethugs say is a lie, you have your chart.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    People who believe bullshit despite direct and incontrovertible evidence that it's a lie are idiots.

Since 98% of what the Rethugs say is a lie, you have your chart.
    People who believe the Democrats are much better than the Republicans are idiots. 98% of politicans are corrupt and couldn't give a damn about ordinary people.

It's not about "better" it's about deliverables. Who delivers more and who delivers how they say they will. Those are your metrics.

Rethugs lose hands down.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by purple rain View Post
    People who believe the Democrats are much better than the Republicans are idiots. 98% of politicans are corrupt and couldn't give a damn about ordinary people.
    Actually, a few studies have shown that if most people voted their interests according to the issues, then they would vote Democratic. Yet many vote against their economic interests and vote Republican.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Actually, a few studies have shown that if most people voted their interests according to the issues, then they would vote Democratic. Yet many vote against their economic interests and vote Republican.

I think you have to figure election fraud in there, in the last couple elections. But a miserable compartmentalized mind needs an object on which to project it's misery and Republicans deliver on that point, even though it's across the board, not just to the working class. If I had to guess I'd say it's the middle and upper class that delivered the elections to Bush, not the working classes.

I think the question is why so many people whose own personal interests are negatively affected by the policies of a party, continue to support that party when there is another party that could meet their interests in a better way?

It is a curious thought.

^^ it's called splitting.

Splitting people into all good/all bad. Really infantile thought process. Rethugs have done it to dems via the media. It's developmental psychology, people stuck between ages three and six. It can't be explained logically because it's such regressed thinking. Which, personally, I wish people, meaning the dems, would stop trying to figure it out and explain it and instead DEAL WITH IT since the rethugs have been EXPLOITING IT to our demise for the past couple of decades.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information