Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why conservatives love being conservative: a viewpoint torn apart

I know this one conservative whose like you miss perfect. She has some conservative opinions about politics, but she supports gay marriage and she believes in envionmental protection. Hell she 's told me that her own party (republican of course) is so disorganized now that she become an independent ( I guess she does'nt want to switch all the way to the Dem side) so she voted for Nader in the election last year, which was a waste BTW.

I'm luckly my family is mostly Democratic. Were Catholics too but were not so religious and conservative. I guess it's just different in some Catholic families I guess.

One of my closest friends is a social liberal and an economic conservative. Even though we differ substantially, we respect one another's opinions and I like to think we've each learned something from the other.

But then she's an open-minded person and not afraid of opposing viewpoints.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Authority View Post
    I know this one conservative whose like you miss perfect. She has some conservative opinions about politics, but she supports gay marriage and she believes in envionmental protection. Hell she 's told me that her own party (republican of course) is so disorganized now that she become an independent ( I guess she does'nt want to switch all the way to the Dem side) so she voted for Nader in the election last year, which was a waste BTW.

I'm luckly my family is mostly Democratic. Were Catholics too but were not so religious and conservative. I guess it's just different in some Catholic families I guess.
    Moving from the Northeast to FL made me really see another spectrum of Republicans. I found that I don't agree with a lot of people down here.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Found this.. i'd like to go down point by point and rip it apart:

Yes, the world is in a constant state of flux, so really it's like evolution (oooo I know they hate that word)...either you adapt, or you're rendered irrelevant. You need to change with the times or go extinct. The natural world is not immutable, as much as they would like to think it is. Dinosaurs come in all shapes and sizes and modern ones are just as succeptible to the giant meteor of societal advancement as their scaly brethren were to a similar sledgehammer made of rock and iron.

Oh yes, quite energetic. Can't argue with that one, however their energy seems devoted into creating divisions in many ways: Class, income, birthright, religion.. all the old warhorses of entitlement.

That's a crock. Individual as long as you tow the party line and don't question.. if you're white, christian and affluent you have nothing to worry about. If you're 'OTHER', you're born with a societal glass ceiling over your head regardless of what you do.

Until what, the last 30 years? The government has grown more unwieldly under Reagan/Bush than ever before, a bloated ineffectual carcass feeding on itself.

At the expense of everything else, including the environment on which we depend and the happiness of the workers who toil away.

Until it's applied to one of your own, and then the laws mysteriously change..

Which you're happy to shove down everyone elses throats, even using secular government to achieve this.. so much for that 'personal liberty' bit..

As long as those colors don't reach beyond their station..

.. and the massively influential and overreaching military-industrial complex that feeds it..

Provided you're in the upper echelons of affluence, otherwise you're saddled with as much as your demographic can bear to support the oligarchy above you..

Ie: doing away with it altogether..

Again, illegal and stomps all over that 'personal liberty' bit.. government promoting religiously based initiatives AND giving them a tax excempt status? hello, theocracy?

With those pesky protestors kept far away in 'free speech zones' so they don't interfere..

except of course in the case of eminent domain, in which the previously mentioned tenet of 'capitalism' once again stomps all over 'personal liberty'..

.. while supporting, funding and arming corrupt dictators and nutjobs for short term political goals that never work out..

If by 'celebrate' you mean 'undermine with invasive laws in the Patriot Acts 1 and 2, extraordinary rendition, torture, and imprisonment of citizens without due process or access to legal counsel'.. then yes. Very embracing indeed.

Provided you don't tug too hard on the leash, or try to break out of the WASPy box they try to form around the country...

The Roman empire rotted from within as well, with the same tactics..
    you didn't even cite the author and context here. the author is rush limbaugh. it is from an op-ed in the wall street journal. just wanted to clarify.
    All this can be yours for only $19.95!

Was it? Hah figures. I didn't see a name when I looked at it on Drudge Report
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Was it? Hah figures. I didn't see a name when I looked at it on Drudge Report
    i was at drudge today, and i thought he had a link to the story at the wall street journal site; they would have all of the relevant info there. are you *sure* you didn't get it off of snuffmygrandma.com? i can recall you posting stories from there before LOL

I can't believe anyone takes Drudge seriously any more. He hasn't had a scoop in years.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    I can't believe anyone takes Drudge seriously any more. He hasn't had a scoop in years.
    i take him with a grain of salt, personally, same as i do any other website.

... wait, snuffmygrandma.com is a REAL site? Are you fucking serious? LOL

I thought that was a joke! Never been there, I get most of my weird political crap from Drudge, or brietbart
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by miss_perfect View Post
    I'm starting to think that I'm more Libertarian than conservative. I'm conservative on a lot of the issues, but socially, I truly don't care what you do as long as you're not hurting anybody else. For example, personally I would never get an abortion, but I don't support the government (or anyone else) telling another woman that she can't have one.

I didn't grow up in a religious household. My parents, who are both (northern) Republicans, didn't feel the need to drag us to church every Sunday. We went mainly on the major holidays. They always told me that you don't have to go to Church to be a good person.
    I agree w/ you.
    & not every conservative is as extreme in their viewpoints as Limbaugh. This conservative-bashing is somewhat .... bothersome to me.
    A loving person lives in a loving world. A hostile person lives in a hostile world. Everyone you meet is your mirror. -Ken Keyes Jr.

I've found a lot of Republicans are simply (or primarily) fiscally conservative. And not even necessarily in every respect - but many are in favour of reduced government spending and balancing the budget. I can't really fault them for that.

Now, it could be argued that other aspects of the Republican platform (such as anti-gay marriage, anti-environment or staunch pro-life stances) should render them essentially unelectable if voting by conscience... but it would probably do us well to consider that for a very long time the Republican party favoured small, unobtrusive government, with little influence in the private sphere. In recent years I think the party has overstepped its bounds in this area, but I'm willing to bet there are a lot of people out there who voted Republican for fiscally responsible reasons, with the hopes that the party would stay out of people's private/family lives as they are supposed to, and not impose their own morality on the populace. I don't believe the GOP has lived up to this ideal (nor have they to the fiscally conservative ideal), but again, I just can't justify lumping every Republican in together. There are probably many who just believe in some of the long-held ideals of their party, without necessarily towing the party line in every respect.

(For the record, I'm a Canadian NDP, pretty much the opposite of a Republican. But basically I've come to see that they're not all the same, and not undeserving of respect.) That said, this post was interesting and amusing. And Grimmy knows I adore him! (I hope.) I'd just love to avoid some of the extreme partisanship on this board if we could, at least when it's preemptive or unfounded.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

NDP? Psh. No thank you! Go Liberals!

Quote Originally Posted by Algernon View Post
    That's good. Only thing missing is "we have the all-powerful omnipresence to back us up in case any of our ideals don't make sense, or are condradictory. After all, how can you argue with GOD?"

Yeah.
    Exactly.. God can't defend himself!

... wait, snuffmygrandma.com is a REAL site? Are you fucking serious? LOL

I thought that was a joke! Never been there, I get most of my weird political crap from Drudge, or brietbart
    no, it's fake..i made it up, remember? i referenced it in another thread from the last board. LOL you are too much, grimm.

K, well I couldn't tell what you were trying to say in the case

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information