Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whistleblower tells of America's hidden nightmare for its sick poor

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Which is why they all go bankrupt. uhhuh.

And no, I won't.
    Never say never,Sugar!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Don't call me sugar, buddy!

I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

Well, I've seen both sides...I have insurance (employer-provided) and I've had excellent care, even for life-threatening conditions, at low cost (max $1500 out of pocket), and I had a mother who was uninsured, lived in ICU for months before she died. I don't feel her care was compromised because they knew she couldn't pay. I don't think the doctors had any knowledge of her financial situation in making care decisions. Fortunately my mom was able to afford basic care, but catastrophic insurance was more than she could afford. I can see where someone who can't afford even basic care could have deteriorating conditions left untreated (like diabetes).

Hell, I haven't had health insurance since my benefits expired at the end of last month. I may end up signing up for COBRA, depending on how much it costs.

COBRA can be scary pricey. Check out catastrophic coverage as well. Higher out of pocket, but it's much more affordable.

Thanks for the advice, Qwerty. My parents told me that they would loan me some money for COBRA if I needed it, so we'll see how it goes.

Idk about anywhere else, but welfare insurance in Pennsylvania seems relatively easy to get. I work in a pharmacy and I've seen people from the neighborhood that I KNOW have good income get insurance from welfare. My father, who's actually very sick, but doesn't qualify for it, has to pay for everything. He doesn't get SSI or anything like that despite the fact that he worked TWO jobs in this country for over ten years. He gets left with nothing. It's not fair, but it's life. Well, my mom's insurance from her job pays for it but only until a certain deductable. This month, he paid over 500 dollars for like 6 presciptions.

Idk about healthcare like in Canada. It would be a huge burden on my taxes, and I'm sorry, but I don't want to have to pay for somebody else. Not to mention the people who will take advantage of the system. Maybe I don't know enough about it, and if I don't, please feel free to educate me.

You already pay for other things for other people, like roads, a military, and schools. Secondly, you pay more through insurance and deductibles than you do through taxes, and with universal healthcare you can't get dropped and you don't go bankrupt. Pretty sure it more than evens out.

Me: any surgery I want, any treatment I want, and with work benefits any drugs i want. How much do I pay? Maybe 20 bucks for an ambulance ride and 2 dollars for a dispensing fee for drugs.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Besides-if you ever get something life threatening,you'll end up down here!
    Total BS. The hospitals here are in no way inferior. Don't believe all that crap about Canadians rushing the border for medical care. It's propaganda designed to scare you people away from wanting a system that looks after everyone.
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

I had insurance when I was admitted to the hospital. My out of pocket costs are so ridiculous that I will probably file for bankruptcy before the end of the year. I've already paid in over $3500 and they want $3000 yet. I'm unemployed and don't see things turning around anytime soon. Yep, good thing I had insurance.
    I'm not quite drunk enough to really care, but is this her violation of her violation of her violation of her violation of probation or her violation of her violation of her violation of her probation????? ~MontanaMama on LL's latest arrest.

Elite Member

We are so far about $2000 in the hole this year. We have insurance through DH's employer, but there is so much beyond the premiums to pay.

We pay $400/month for premiums. That's $4800/year. Then we put $1600 in a flexible spending account to cover copays for office visits and prescriptions. DH has had some acupuncture (not covered) and we've purchased some supplements like fish oil (not covered). I've had a CAT scan and an MRI, on which the coinsurance is 20%, so we owe approximately $500 each after insurance. We have pretty good dental too but I needed a crown this year and it was a 50% coinsurance payment, so another $500. I just had another ultrasound procedure done so I will owe 20% coinsurance on that as well. The only reassurance I have is that we have a $1500 annual out of pocket maximum per person per year. So with the CAT and MRI I am already most of the way there.

So we pay $6400 in premiums + FSA set aside (mostly used up now - I put the crown on there). And we owe another $1500 on top of that plus the supplements and acupuncture. We've got one payment plan set up but I don't think anyone else will let us do that. We're trying to cut back on spending, but with everything going up it's almost impossible. So to pay this stuff, we have to liquidate some savings. Savings we need in case of unemployment.

Hoping for much better health next year! I'm just trying to say that even the employer-provided insurance (the holy grail), can be back-breakingly expensive for lower or even middle income families.

Oh, and I forgot...I just started weekly allergy shots. Found out that even though I don't see a doctor at all and am only in there for 10 minutes (mostly waiting room time), I will owe a $15 copay each week. That's almost $400 by the end of this year. Did I mention we are out of FSA money? So all out of pocket. I want to cry.

The US health care system is in need of an overhaul.

Insurance companies have all the control. If they don't want to pay, they can, and will, find ways around it.

State insurance is no guarantee. In some areas, the income limits are so low, only those in extreme poverty can meet the criteria. In other areas, having the insurance is useless, as many doctors and offices have begun to drop public aid insurance from the acceptance lists; a meical office worker stated to me one reason public aid insurance was being dropped by offices in that area was the number of illegals fraudulently utilizing state benefits.

Private employer insurance is not always what it is cracked up to be. Paying hundreds a month in premiums, after the employer pays its share, then wrangling with the crooks who are trying to say the charges are not covered and/or do not qualify as being posted against the deductible is not uncommon. If you happen to work with people with sick families, there is the chance you can "pay for them". If coworkers use the insurance a great deal, premiums can go up, and the employer is not always open to shouldering the burden.

For those who say the tax burden would be much greater if universal healthcare were implemented, how much of the money saved by not paying premiums would actually go to the "higher" taxes?

Restructuring is desperately needed within America's healthcare system. Removing for profit insurance companies is the first step.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

i need to read this when i get home...i have a feeling i wont be surprised either...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information