Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What makes people vote Republican?

Look, before this turns into a big fight as usual here..and I'll take my share of the blame for that....

My point is, if Dems (and Independants) want to beat Repubs, then instead of dismissing them all as stupid, the better tactic would be to try to understand why they vote that way, and what can be done to win those votes over to the side you want to win.

People are way too quick to dismiss them, and it costs us. We've had 8 years of Bush, and instead of really trying to see where we could make ground, people are more interested in name calling than persuading people to come over.

If the other side is so stupid, then why does the smart side keep losing?

That's all. Something to think about.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; September 12th, 2008 at 03:30 PM.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

^^I agree. People shouldn't just write off the Walmart moms and the hunters as complete idiots without understanding why they vote the way they do. I've been guilty of writing them off without trying to figure them out.

I do agree with that. All the name-calling has done nothing to make them see the light in any way, it just drives them further away. I, for one, think our two party system sucks anyway. I just wish people wouldn't walk the party line and really take a look at the issues that are affecting us now. But alas, like I said, from the Republican side (what I've seen with my own eyes) is that religion is so intertwined with politics that it will be impossible for a good maybe 60% of Republicans to ever vote Democratic due to this.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

^You forgot the Pro-Life hunters........
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    I do agree with that. All the name-calling has done nothing to make them see the light in any way, it just drives them further away. I, for one, think our two party system sucks anyway. I just wish people wouldn't walk the party line and really take a look at the issues that are affecting us now. But alas, like I said, from the Republican side (what I've seen with my own eyes) is that religion is so intertwined with politics that it will be impossible for a good maybe 60% of Republicans to ever vote Democratic due to this.
    I'm totally on board with the two party system sucking.

The only difference I see in the religion/republican thing, and I know it's because of where I live, is most of the repubs I know (and I live with one) aren't religious. They're repubs for other reasons. NYC is not really a hot bed of religious fanatics, so we get a different type of repub here. They're not usually as socially conservative as the rest of the country.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Thats good. I grew up in the Midwest so its a totally different mentality, and thats why my perceptions are totally different. Its hard for me to understand that method of thinking or identify with them in that capacity, so I'm sure it would be easier for me to speak with the Republicans that you are around. When someone's religion and politics are so closely intertwined its almost impossible to understand them or make an effort to, honestly.

I agree January and Witchcurl. I mean aren't democrats supposed to be the party of acceptance and non-judgment? So then why do some seem to always mock Republicans or people who disagree with them? It seems a little hypocritical.

That's one thing I've never understood about (some on) the far left (I'm more moderate, with democratic leanings, personally).... the constant jokes and insults they hurl at the right. It doesn't help the cause at all, it's just divisive. This isn't to say that the Rebublicans don't do it also though.

Yeah, but then most of the people who are so venomous on this board aren't even Americans, thats the ironic thing!

I'm just increasingly growing disillusioned. My only hope now is that the polls are skewed and that Obama will kill at the debates. Enough of this coddling of Palin.

A lot of times my hackles are raised because politics does feel personal to me, because its mine, yours, ours - our future. But when I feel a bit pissed, thats when I step away from the board and get along with my real life. Theres no use spewing vitriol all over and it doesn't help anything.

For the record, I don't believe that all Republicans are "stupid" or terrible people. I do believe that a good bit of them, however, are misguided due to their religious beliefs which overshadow the real issues. Then others are incredibly well-informed and capable of making educated decisions, even if they are different than mine. I think its the religious ones that only focus on ONE issue (abortion and homosexuality) that drive me a bit crazy. I also dislike the Democratic punks who turn all violent during the convention and the ones who never want to engage in healthy debate, just scream and make allegations. That doesn't float my boat either. Thats why I'm Independent anyway.

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

January, I am hoping this election goes like last November's election here in the state of Virginia. All the polls said that Senator George Allen, powerful republican incumbent spending a zillion dollars on reelection, was going to steamroll over his opponent Jim Webb. Webb won, contrary to right wing arrogance, being outspent ten to one and against all polls and odds. He won!

I am hoping and praying for a repeat.

I couldn't make it past the first paragraph. I am so fucking sick and tired of being called some kind of racist nazi who wants to step on the poor and laugh at thier misfortune while praising jesus for my 6 unaborted babies that I homeschool about abstinence.

I am a republican because I don't think that big federal government helps much of anything. Sure, there is more than that, but that's the basics. Nothing to do with race. I'm actually more of a libertarian, but since voting that way does absolutely NOTHING, I am a republican because it aligns more with what I value than liberalism. A large amount of the republican party line isn't what I believe it. That's what happens when you have two parties and a large population to fit into one of the two.

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

Interestingly enough if you look at the disgusting bashing fighting pageant momma boards you will see some of the most ridiculous over the top anti liberal statements of all time. They are flipping out over the possibility of a 'culluhd' man with a 'towel head' name running. That's just the type of attitude and justifications you hear from the under educated subclass.
    Last edited by cheetopia; September 12th, 2008 at 04:47 PM. Reason: cuz I missspeeled

I agreed with some points on this article, although I don't hold all of them up as a good thing. Some of the points are downright backwards. Like this, which I thought is a totally fallible way of thinking:
    Our national motto is e pluribus unum ("from many, one"). Whenever Democrats support policies that weaken the integrity and identity of the collective (such as multiculturalism, bilingualism, and immigration), they show that they care more about pluribus than unum. They widen the sacredness gap.
    This is crap. Who says you have to choose to care more about one? You can do both, choose for yourself (unum) and still be considerate of the greater unit (pluribus.) It feeds into the erroneous mindset that if you criticize your country, you must not be patriotic.

Moreover, "e pluribus unum" can also be interpreted as the differences of many can actually strengthen us as a whole. The U.S. is a melting pot, remember? To say a group is only strong if it's homogenous is unrealistic, and imo, wrong. This is the dangerous part of us v. them thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    What makes people vote Republican?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I think the reason some of us are really angry and do not feel bad about calling people who voted for Bush (or McCain) stupid (I'm not sure I was one of those people however) is that the we are frustrated with people making decisions that continue to harm out country and our future.

It doesn't seem to make rational sense that one would do so and since the word stupid can mean foolish or senseless, I'm not sure why that is such a shock that some would feel that way.

When someone says they hate Bush but are going to vote for a man who is aligned with Bush 95% of the time, that seems foolish to me! It doesn't make sense and I can only believe that is an emotional decision not based on rational thinking.

The far-right have been calling Dems elitists and immoral for some time so I'm not sure why the Dems are getting scolded for this now.

Girl, I ain't about to read all that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information