Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think the country will be like in 4 years if your candidate wins?

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    We're fucked either way.

That sums it up
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    I think if Obama wins we will be on much better terms with the rest of the world. Yes, even with the Middle East and Russia.

I think Obama will follow through with some of his energy resolutions and we will become less dependent on foreign oil in the next 4 years. Because of this bailout mess and whatever else is coming down the pipe, that funds will be limited so he will not be able to do as much as he'd like. For instance, the $7000 tax credit for purchasing energy efficient cars will probably have to go.

I think he will crack down on hedge funds and oil speculation, and hopefully most speculative securities will be heavily regulated. This will make the stock market less volatile.

I see a revitalization of Detroit and steps to make America more competitive in the automotive industry.
    That's cause Barack Hussein Obama is a muslim and a terrorist so the middle eastern peoples will like him!!!!!!!!111oneoneone He's a traitor!!!111one

Sorry you know I had to do it, lol.

I think if Obama wins it will be like maybe 1993. It won't bring back a million dead Iraqis but it will be like climbling out of the vomit, sputum, and feces soup known as the Reagan and Bush 1 admins. I mean, it will talk him at least one term if not to to move the country into a comparable place to where Clinton got it. Everything is too wrecked it will take a while.

So the economy was really bad, under Reagan and Bush 41? Grandma always told me it was in good shape, back then.

No candidate is going to be able to clean the mess Bush has left. Bush single-handedly ensured everyone will suffer for the better of part of two decades, his eight in office and probably ten after.

If McCain gets in, it will be Bush the sequel.

If Obama wins, we have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post
    No candidate is going to be able to clean the mess Bush has left. Bush single-handedly ensured everyone will suffer for the better of part of two decades, his eight in office and probably ten after.

If McCain gets in, it will be Bush the sequel.

If Obama wins, we have a chance.
    I agree it will take a very long time to get things cleared up if Obama wins- but I agree there is a good chance - but if McCain wins I dont think the US will ever recover.

Quote Originally Posted by ana-mish-ana View Post
    I agree it will take a very long time to get things cleared up if Obama wins- but I agree there is a good chance - but if McCain wins I dont think the US will ever recover.
    I said this to a group of friends, some of whom are staunch McCain supporters and whose friendship contracts are being reviewed for possible intelligence violations:

If this country is irresponsible and gullible enough to elect a liar who can not even manage his campaign properly, I can not say I will feel sorry for this country as a whole when it suffers. I am an American and I am not trying to shove my political beliefs down anyone's throat. I am imploring you to actually pay attention and examine the evidence placed in front of you. You can either fight for another day or place your head in the noose. Vote McCain. Don't cry when we become a third world country.

Conservative pundits will have something to bitch about again. See? Obama will even save their jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    We're fucked either way.
    I couldn't have said it better.

Silver Member

Thumbs down

mccain
    gas, energy -the same
    higher taxes

obama
    higher taxes
    higher energy costs
    another u.s. soil terror attack

another four years of crap

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    The country will be the same no matter who wins....Your individual life will be the same
    See...I guess I don't totally agree with this. Lots of people talk about Clinton (which was the first presidential election I ever voted for at 19) and that things were bad under his presidency, and I just don't remember it that way.

Where I lived during his terms, I recall jobs being plentiful, pay was good, cost of living was low, unmployment was low, health care costs were decent, gas was affordable, etc. I didn't know many people that were struggling during that time.

Under Bush it seems like the cost of everything has tripled, jobs are not plentiful, health care costs are out of control, the dollar has dropped over 40%, etc. I know quite a few people who are struggling, have lost their jobs, can't find a good paying job, etc.

To me, those things affect individual lives in very real ways. And based on the admittedly rudimentary research I've done, a discernible pattern is evident based on the party of the sitting president. I have a hard time writing that off as coincidence.

While I understand that the president does not have a direct effect on a lot of everyday issues, I would say that they at least play a part in setting the tone for policies. And their cabinet members also play a part in setting the tone for the path the government takes.

I obviously haven't seen nearly as many elections as you have, so is what I've observed just a blip and not really connected to who is in office (honestly asking, not being snarky)?
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

My individual life will not be the same. Sadly enough I would probably do better financially under McCain because I have properties, stock, bonds and oil leases, but, but, I cannot with good conscience vote for those that rip off the middle class and are only in it to cover their rich buddies fannies.

At this point I'm thinking a flat tax might not be such a bad thing. At least it would be fair across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    we will be just as dependant on oil in four years...

detroit will not come back in our lifetime....the US auto business will never make a comeback

hedge funds and securities are already heavily regulated, and are not what caused the mess we are in at the moment...

no president is going to make your gas or food prices come down......or create jobs. Never happened, never will. It's not within their power.

there will always be rich and there will always be poor.....no us president will change that fact...they tried that in russia in 1917, with poor results....

the middle class might get a few hundred a year extra refund in taxes, certainly won't be enough to change their lives...the rich will give up a bit more, won't be enough to change their lives either.

health care will be exactly as it is now. will remain that way in my lifetime, no matter who gets elected.

This will be the 6th Presidential election I've voted in......the main factors in my life are pretty much the same now as they were when I cast that first ballot....

Plus ça change... plus c'est la même chose
    a few thoughts. I've voted in five elections and to me the difference between this decade and the last is striking. If I was ten years older and had been an adult in the 70's I'd probably find it even more so. My parents had four children and owned a house by their early/mid-twenties, and had two cars. They never rented.

I had fantastic health insurance on the cheap throughout the nineties, the likes of which I will probaby never see again, at least at that price and probably not provided by my employer. The encroachment into the job market of temp and contract agencies in every field, that offer zero benefits except a paycheck, is downright frightening and was unheard of 20 years ago, I remember being offered a full time job as a trainer at a restaurant chain a few years back and then being crestfallen when told that 'all our employees are contracted through X agency' so there were zero benefits. Recently some nurses brought suit against several temp companies who had illegally entered into a non-compete agreement in their area, effectively capping wages, so that is yet another field that is getting raped by these confiscatory low-lifes. Maybe it's because I've lived most of my adult life at or below poverty level but I sometimes feel I have PTSD from the whiplash of this company swinging back into republican insanity in 2000. The nineties were wonderful years for me, and since 2000 it has been complete suckage. I should add that I have never taken public aid of any kind beyond Pell Grant, and I'm sure I've qualified for food stamps/ heating assistance/whatever many times. I think having a republican sociopath in office is demoralizing for the whole country, and now there is a whole new generation of kids who missed the nineties as working adults and think that 'this is just the way it is'. They missed the Clinton's passing Cobra and trying to ensure health care for as many people as they could. It's so depressing to me that they would have missed what the Clinton administration tried to do for this country. They don't know that when Walmart was growing in popularity it was nauseatingly jingoistic and plastered with signs everywhere that said things like 'made in America' 'buy American' etc etc, and what a complete 180 degree turn it has made. They may not understand how it single-handedly has destroyed locally owned mom and pop stores and continues to, and had a devastating impact on manufacturing and wages in America, as has outsourcing. Clinton can't be forgiven for NAFTA which is a moot point anymore because of China but the sickness that overtakes this country every time we get a republican in office is something I don't see how anyone can miss.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleWasHere View Post
    So the economy was really bad, under Reagan and Bush 41? Grandma always told me it was in good shape, back then.

No, it just depends on what economic sector you were in. I was in college in Reagan's second term and I almost didn't get to go back because Reagan cut aid to students. He famously told us to 'sell our stereos' and crap, I didn't even have one. The best I as a worker have ever had it was 92-2000. And it is not just the policies, it is the subconscious knowledge that democrats are the party of the American worker, they are the party Unions support, for a reason, and republicans are the party of the rich, they are for the rich, by the rich, and about the rich, at the root. The great maneuver of Republicans in the last 30 years or so was to realize that they had to get the common people to vote against their best interests, to they set up a paradigm where with their vote, working people are buying the right to feel 'better than' their neighbor, by recruiting the most powerful 'religious' con-men out there. They became the party of religion by appealing to the bigotry of the most xenophobic working americans. And it's been a great strategy for them, but a devastating one for America.

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

Hey, that crap started in the first Reagan administration. I was a college student finishing up and going to grad school during his first four years and one of the first things he did after taking office was gut the educational system of many grants that people like me were using to pay for college with the same lame assed excuse about us selling our stereos. I heard in his second term he gutted the federal grants and scholarship programs even further. Which is stupid because an educated workforce is a happier, higher skilled, better paid workforce that pays a higher tax burden than a buncha slackers without high school diplomas flipping burgers at Mickey D's all day.

I like some of Obama's ideas about trading volunteer hours towards college money. Smart move.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information