Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: What Barack Obama thinks of white people

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    So, if Obama experienced racism at the hands of white people it is forgiveable that he may hold (or has held) some negative perceptions of whites and spoken about them disparragingly at times. But if McCain was held for 5 yrs and tortured by Vietnamese there is no excuse in the world for him to harbor prejudices about them?

Another case of do as I say, not as I do.
    No, that's not what I said, it's what you just said. Having an opinion is not the same as repeatedly verbalizing racial slurs.

Obama talked about his experiences with racism, his reflections upon it, and what he learned from it. He acknowledges that some people (white or otherwise) can be racist. Which is true.

McCain talked about his experiences in Vietnam, and flat out called Vietnamese "GOOKS" SEVERAL TIMES. No analysis, no reflection, no growth, just "gooks." He later tried to qualify it as only pertaining to certain Vietnamese, as though that would negate his embrace of using racial slurs. Think what would happen if Obama went around calling people "honkeys" but then said, "no no when I say honkey I'm only referring to a certain type group of white people!!"
    Last edited by lurkur; September 11th, 2008 at 02:12 PM.

Now if I decide to attend a church every Sunday for many years that has a pastor that spews racism, what does that make me? Tolerate of racist views or a racist? What's the difference?

I don't blame John McCain for calling some Vietnamese people gooks. He was held captive and tortured by them for 5 years!! I would call people who did things like that the worst possible names too.

Obama was not held as a prisoner of war by whites. He has no reason, he just hates them.

I agree that McCain has a reason to hate those people but a person running for president who will be dealing with them and other foreign leaders needs to keep his feelings to himself.

Quote Originally Posted by taymarie View Post
    I don't blame John McCain for calling some Vietnamese people gooks. He was held captive and tortured by them for 5 years!! I would call people who did things like that the worst possible names too.
    Like gas_chick said, if you hate them for what they did to you, fine, but keep the slurs to yourself.

Responsible people don't come up with excuses for their behavior. There's no need or reason to justify racial slurs. Two wrongs do not make a right.

Obama was not held as a prisoner of war by whites. He has no reason, he just hates them.
    Um, yeah, and Obama hates his mother's side of the family. That makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Wombat View Post
    Like gas_chick said, if you hate them for what they did to you, fine, but keep the slurs to yourself.

Responsible people don't come up with excuses for their behavior. There's no need or reason to justify racial slurs. Two wrongs do not make a right.

Um, yeah, and Obama hates his mother's side of the family. That makes no sense.
    .....uh....half of the people on this site hate their mothers or fathers or both......why should he be any different?

Are you fucking kidding me?

He wrote his first book 12 years ago, with the mindset that many confused mixed-raced people unfortunately posses... it's hard enough being part of a racial group that's ALREADY stratified by a largely ignorant American society, imagine being young, black, AND white.. having the perception that you're good and bad.. pure and tainted.. us and them.. your entire life. It seems bitter, but I don't blame him for that... it must have been hard having to find a niche in society, feeling obligated to prove his loyalty to his black friends whilst still maintaining a sensitivity to his mother and the similar struggles she probably went through by having a mixed-race relationship.

It's all in context and I applaud him for being brave enough to make his struggles known. He's obviously grown through them. I don't doubt that he still feels torn occasionally, but when all people do is focus on race what do you expect?

^^Exactly!
    Didn't Obama write this book in 1995, thirteen years ago. This thread was posted based on the assumption that Obama didn't grow over the years to become more than just ok with the blood that runs through his veins, and made him who is today..

And that also means, that he hates his family..

Did we not see his maternal family supporting him.. I guess they never read his book. I also take it that Michelle's SIL never read the book either.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by tamjo54 View Post
    Now if I decide to attend a church every Sunday for many years that has a pastor that spews racism, what does that make me? Tolerate of racist views or a racist? What's the difference?
    Why don't you ask Sarah Palin since she was sitting in a church where a pastor was spewing anti-semitism.

....why is that a black-church-only subject?.....

^^What do you mean?

Reverend Wright's comments on Jews......

Have you been to all of the black churches in America, or are you just going on what you heard was said in ONE pastor's church.

SWEET BABY JESUS!!
    Rev. Wright does not speak for all black ministers, pastors, bishops, and his church damn sure doesn't speak for ALL black churches!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Church is singular.....

As the grandmother of bi-racial grandchildren, I do see their confusion sometimes on where to fit in. Especially my grand daughter whose father does not take a part in her life. It seems that many times she wants to deny that she is part black and this hurts me. The two of us have many long discussions on how unimportant the difference in skin color is and that other things matter more.

On the other hand, my other grandchildren who have strong fathers present in their lives seem to handle it. Their problems are the typical problems of any children their ages. But their friends are of such diverse backgrounds that everyone is different, so that makes them all the same.

In the long run, I think the absent father hurts more than anything, even though she has a step-father in her life who is a good man. And I hope that this generation is the one that can get past the race issue in the future. I see Obama as someone that can help these children see the possibilities, even if we adults are not able to let go of bygones yet.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information