Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What Barack Obama thinks of white people

Okay explain how I am taking it the wrong way:

(1) He states:
    There was something about him that made me wary,” Obama wrote. “A little too sure of himself, maybe. And white.”

So, what did he really mean to say?

I think he had to go through a lot of soul searching and didn't try to-excuse this-white wash it. I think that is normal for any young man,particularly one of mixed ancestry. I don't get a "hate whitey" vibe from him at all. He speaks very eloquently. Like the new white boss-I can see that at first. I can also see color fading away as they got to know one another.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Elite Member

I shouldn't attempt to explain this because I'm bound to mess it up, BUT. . .

I think where Obama was coming from is that there are some white people who are confident for no other reason than their skin color. Because they're white, they know they'll be accepted. It doesn't matter if they're smart or dumb--they're white, so they're 'right.'

Although Obama has a white mother, he realizes that he will never be fully accepted by a lot of white people. And even for some who accept him on the surface, the minute he does something they disapprove of, he'll become 'just another angry black man' without regard to his white side.

It's a complex maze that Obama and others in his position navigate. Race is ridiculously complicated even for the so-called mono-racial folk. Being mult-ethnic must be really difficult.

I get it, Obama gets a pass.
    No problem.
    Let McCain speak of Obama's race though. All hell will break lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    LOL! Read it correctly? How is there any other way to read it?
    He clearly speaks badly of white people. I don't give two shits about him having to grow up as a mixed child. There are plenty of children of all races that have it just as rough. Just because he grew up mixed doesn't make his racism okay.
    Maybe you should go back and read it for what it really says, and not as a supporter of his.

NC, I am not suggesting anything. I just posted what HE said. If you can't tell that he speaking unkind of whites then that's your misunderstanding. let a white person speak of Obama in that manner and see what happens.

And I'm not offended, I'm just posting the facts and what the man said. I don't normally get offended over people calling me names. Mama taught me the sticks and stones saying many years ago.
    That part in bold is exactly why I know the opinion of the selected passage will be that he is a racist. In layman's terms, what you interpreted will be completely, utterly wrong.

Are you mixed race? If you are not, then you truly have no way to understand the context. I respect your opinion. Unless you come from a background similar to his, your inferences will be biased, based on the race you are. Honestly, anyone who is black or white, and not mixed, would be offering irrelevant views, as they have no experience from which to pull.

Also, anything which is edited as much as the OP doesn't get my attention. Editing is usually done in a manner which fits the agenda of the person performing the task, hence bias appears, as seen by the OP. When the full article was posted, the meaning becomes much clearer.

He is relating his journey as a mixed man in a country still divided by race. A mixed person in this country sees two sides of two races.

I believe someone who wants to see a racist will see one. Maybe it's a reflection of the undercurrents beneath the skin of the reader. Can you say with one hundred percent honesty you are not racist?

Since I love playing Devils'a Advocate, here is a little test.

Sweetie, you are a white female correct? If you were waiting for an elevator, which finally arrived, only to open and show you eight young ethnic men dressed in hip hop inspired attire, can you honestly say you would not be wary?

It's called learning from history. Regardless of who you are or what culture you come from, history will leave a mark in your psyche, good or bad.

Elite Member

Let McCain speak of Obama's race though. All hell will break lose.
    Or maybe helpful dialogue will come as a result. Don't be so pessimistic. If handled appropriately, all discussions can be useful. Like yours and mine.

I just posted the actual comments that were in reference to white people. If you guys would like to read the whole article, you can clearly click on the link provided.

And are you trying to call me racist with your last statement, Revel?

And yes I want to see a racist, if someone is, so they can be called out on it. Do I go around calling everyone a racist, um no. I think I have called Muhammad Ali, Spike Lee, Malcolm X while on this board, so clearly I have no undercurrents that need to be reflected.

And I could give two shits about him being mixed. Cry me a fuck hand full. There are children that grow up in MUCH worse conditions and with a lot less in life.

Okay explain how I am taking it the wrong way:

(1) He states:
    There was something about him that made me wary,” Obama wrote. “A little too sure of himself, maybe. And white.”

So, what did he really mean to say?
    Here's what he really said:

"There was something about him that made me wary, a little too sure of himself, maybe. And white---he'd said himself that was a problem."

I wonder what the guy was saying, who was talking about himself in such a way. He's likely racist too.

Here's another interesting link: Quotes from the writings of Barack Obama-Truth! & Fiction!

Ooh, this one's good too ... it's amazing what you find regarding such quotes if you just google for a few minutes: http://www.enterstageright.com/archi...eringobama.htm

If Obama was really putting down whites, in two best-selling books, does anybody really think that he would have ascended as far as he has? I mean, let's be serious here. The media, bloggers and Republicans would have ripped him a long time ago if he were really trying to disparage whites. People just choose to interpret his comments in their own way.

And what Obama was going through in regards to navigating around whites is no different than what a lot of blacks have gone through. And I've talked to some white people who have gone through the same thing in regards to navigating around black people.

Oh, so it's okay for Obama to say him being white is a problem, just because the white guy had said it before too. I gotcha. So when a black person calls one of their boys a n*gger, that gives someone of a different race the right to say it too? Um, no I don't think so.

And King, he didn't do it in two books, he did it in his first one. Then he wanted to get in the public eye and changed his tune. He even admitted that his statments hurt him at first.

Elite Member

.So when a black person calls one of their boys a n*gger, that gives someone of a different race the right to say it too?
    Anyone--black or white--should be slapped for using that term. It's why I try to be careful about using degrading words toward other women. It's disrespectful.

I understand some of the mindset of using words meant to hurt you as a means of empowerment, but I can't support it.

Oh, so it's okay for Obama to say him being white is a problem, just because the white guy had said it before too. I gotcha. So when a black person calls one of their boys a n*gger, that gives someone of a different race the right to say it too? Um, no I don't think so.

And King, he didn't do it in two books, he did it in his first one. Then he wanted to get in the public eye and changed his tune. He even admitted that his statments hurt him at first.
    Okay, I stand corrected, Sweetie. If Obama had really ripped whites in one best-selling book do you really think that he would have ascended as far as he's gone?

And you keep forgetting that Obama is half-white, which means he's equally black and equally white. Although in America he's seen as just black.

I don't keep forgetting Obama is half white, Obama himself keeps forgetting it.

Oh and Valley I agree. I would NEVER use that word. I was just using that as an example.

^^If I were going to call you anything, I would not beat around the bush. I never have.

I don't jump to conclusions. I will actually discuss and question rather than point fingers and make accusations. Why would I walk on eggshells on the internet in a political discussion?

Again, seeing a statement in an offensive way. We all have subconscious minds influenced by everything we have sensed. You think that goes away? No. Those thoughts are undercurrents meandering in paths beneath our conscious minds.

You posted an edited version of a full article. I already touched upon that subject. The bias of the editor, even if subconsciously, will choose the editing manner. You felt he made racist comments against whites, thus editing the article to reflect the offense. Enough said.

I am in total agreement that Spike Lee is a racist. I have stated that many times. As far as Malcolm X, he was a racist who saw the err of his ways and was actually murdered for speaking out against racism. As for Muhammad Ali, he has quite a few character flaws. I also have to look at the time in which he grew up in. I believe his interpreted racist behavior actually stemmed from a militant stance against the racism he faced. I do not have enough knowledge of his background, quotes, stances, etc. to say definitively how I perceive his character as it pertains to hatred, therefore I will refrain from making any statements regarding it.

Obama is speaking about growing up mixed. If you are going to discount his ethnicity as a fundamental element of that passage, you are going in with your eyes closed. It's akin to baking a cake without using some type of flour. He is relating his experience as a mixed man in a racist country. He is neither white nor black, which gives him a view of society you, as a white person, and black people will never have.

Dear God, do I need to go back and post the whole f*cking article for you all? Yes, I only posted the parts that were clearly about white's because, get this...that's what the thread title is. ooooo, now you get it?!
    Clearly some people can't use a mouse to click on a link. For the love of Obama.

And most people in America are mixed. I don't there are a lot of pure blooded whites or blacks.

Either way, I see it's okay for Obama to say stuff like this. So the next time someone say's something about another race I do not want to see anyone get all up in arms. If Obama can do it, than so can everyone else.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information