Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The weakening prospects of Caroline Kennedy for the NY Senate seat

Paterson's office released a statement saying that this AP story was incorrect today.
    Governor's Office: 'No Front-runner' for N.Y. Senate Appointment

By Shailagh Murray

Gov. David Paterson hasn't made up his mind about the New York Senate seat, but the rumors are swirling.

Today's brushfire: An Associated Press report quoting two unnamed sources close to Paterson asserting their belief that his pick will be Caroline Kennedy.

"The AP story is incorrect," said Paterson spokesman Errol Cockfield. "There is no front-runner, and the governor is not on the verge of any decision."

Paterson has said that he will "move quickly" to fill the seat once its current occupant, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, resigns as planned upon her confirmation as secretary of State in the incoming Obama administration. A Senate hearing on Clinton's nomination is expected sometime the week of Jan. 12.

In Washington, Kennedy is generally viewed as an ideal successor to Clinton, who launched her own Empire State political career as an unlikely contender, being a former first lady. Kennedy's stature as the sole surviving member of John F. Kennedy's immediate family would make her an instant celebrity in a chamber stacked with lower-profile types and could accord her a degree of clout disproportionate to her junior standing.

Kennedy's prospects seemed to dim somewhat in recent weeks, once she began to campaign openly for the job. She received mostly poor reviews for her lack of policy specificity; her unwillingness to be more candid about her private life, including her finances; and even her flat speaking style.

But she made up ground on Wednesday, when one of her most prominent critics, state Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver, appeared to reversed course. Silver had repeatedly questioned Kennedy's credentials, but then he told New York City television station CBS 2 HD, "She's obviously very bright and has been around politics her whole life."

On Thursday, Paterson refuted another news report that he was considering naming a senior statesman, like former governor Mario Cuomo or former president Bill Clinton, as a caretaker until the 2010 special election. That approach would allow Paterson -- a former lieutenant governor who rose to the top job when former governor Eliot Spitzer resigned due to a sex scandal -- to avoid controversy as he prepares to place his own name on the 2010 ballot.

Asked about the caretaker approach, Paterson told a group of reporters, "I'm actually opposed to that. It would cause New York to lose seniority, and in the United States Senate, the most effective senators are the ones that have seniority. So, I'm hoping that the person I select wins a primary."

Posted at 3:36 PM ET on Jan 2, 2009

Governor's Office: 'No Front-runner' for N.Y. Senate Appointment | 44 | washingtonpost.com

Quote Originally Posted by ymeman View Post
    Kennedy isn't running for veep standing next to a corpse. The stakes were a little higher. Quit whining.
    Thank you. And nobody would give a damn about Caroline getting that seat if she had actually backed Hillary during the primaries. And people keep forgetting that Hillary's famous name pushed aside a lot of N.Y. politicians who were planning to run for that seat originally. People can't keep acting like it's bad for Caroline, but it was okay for Hillary just because she got elected not appointed.

^What bothers me about Caroline, is that in the NY Times interview she was asked what areas/issues she would like to focus on if she was in the Senate. She couldn't name anything! You know Hillary would have name several things that she would work on while in office.

^^From what I've seen of Caroline she can't seem to form an opinion on anything, which doesn't look good for a future Senator. And she is kind of coming off a little like Palin, but without the pregnant daughter and witchhunter. At least Hillary was clear on her opinions.

But I still think some of the animosity toward her getting that appointment is due to her not backing Hillary.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Thank you. And nobody would give a damn about Caroline getting that seat if she had actually backed Hillary during the primaries. And people keep forgetting that Hillary's famous name pushed aside a lot of N.Y. politicians who were planning to run for that seat originally. People can't keep acting like it's bad for Caroline, but it was okay for Hillary just because she got elected not appointed.
    I disagree. Just because a US Senator is not as highly ranked as the VP, it is still a very prestigious and powerful position. I would expect someone who has spent their entire life in the public eye to be able to speak with more fluidity than your average high school freshman, you know? Because listening to her was like, you know, really annoying and embarrassing, you know?

I swear I do not care that she didn't back Hillary. She sounds like a dumbass and there are many people more deserving and more qualified.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    I swear I do not care that she didn't back Hillary. She sounds like a dumbass and there are many people more deserving and more qualified.
    That's how I feel. But they're being pushed aside, so that a 'name' gets the slot.

How can anyone make the argument that she is more deserving or qualified than Rep. Carolyn Maloney, who is rated A on middle class issues, with a record of voting against war funding, and voting against FISA, fighting for women's reproductive rights, who authored and enacted what was called "the most important anti-rape legislation ever considered by Congress" by the Rape Abuse and Incest National Network, took on credit card companies, serves on the Committee on Financial Services, the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, and the Joint Economic Committee, and was previously the Chair of the Democratic Task Force on Homeland Security.

And that's just one of the people that are being passed over for a woman with no experience but an important family.

I also don't care who she endorsed, nor do I think her endorsement of Obama carried that much weight with voters. Were there really people waiting to hear whom Caroline Kennedy was endorsing before they made the decision on who they would vote for?

Hillary Clinton is not the Alpha and Omega of political figures, and while some people may be angry over her loss, it's incorrect to assume that everyone that dislikes Kennedy for the seat feels that way due to her endorsement of Obama.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

That's how I feel. But they're being pushed aside, so that a 'name' gets the slot.
    Yep, because people are so enamoured (sp?) with that goddamned fucked up assed family and the myth of Camelot. It's just interesting to me how her lack of finesse and poise is met with a suspicious silence from most of the (far) left and is sort of just swept under the rug. I don't care what party someone is from, if you present poorly you present poorly. Period.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    Yep, because people are so enamoured (sp?) with that goddamned fucked up assed family and the myth of Camelot.
    I agree here as well. The mythology has always amazed me, especially when the facts are so contradictory to the myth. America loves to romanticize.....

It's always tempting to impute
    Unlikely virtures to the cute

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Thumbs up Hold the Coronation: Caroline Kennedy’s Senate Chances Sinking Like a Stone

Hold the Coronation: Caroline Kennedy’s Senate Chances Sinking Like a Stone

By: Jane Hamsher Monday January 5, 2009 1:59 pm

When we started to hear all those rumors about the "inevitability" of Caroline Kennedy as David Paterson's choice for the Senate, it sure sounded like the last-ditch attempt of a desperate spinmeister to stop the bleeding. You had to wonder what they knew that we didn't.

Now we know:
    Cuomo now leads Kennedy 58%-27% as the one that voters would like to see Gov. David Paterson appoint to the Senate, with a 54%-34% spread among Democrats only. In last month's poll, which tested Democrats only, Kennedy had a 44%-23% lead. So a 21-point Caroline lead among Democrats has turned into a 20-point Cuomo advantage.
    People have certainly overcome huge obstacles on their path to office before (though this one looks pretty ugly). If Kennedy has the kind of moxie it takes to be a good Senator for the state of New York, let's see her fight her way back and convince people she'd be a good choice.

If it turns out she just doesn't have the taste for public life and isn't willing to do that, it's good to find out now. These kind of numbers certainly give Paterson every excuse he needs to Just Say No.

Sounds like the Kennedy/Lieberman handler, Josh Isay, is a bit distracted though. Doesn't seem like he's quite on his game. Probably has his hands full with other clients like Michael Bloomberg and Bibi Netanyahu at the moment.

Firedoglake » Hold the Coronation: Caroline Kennedy’s Senate Chances Sinking Like a Stone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information