Page 56 of 57 FirstFirst ... 646525354555657 LastLast

Thread: The VP debate official thread

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Ifil should, frankly, go back in time and hire someone better suited to moderate a debate. She personified FAIL.

Now known as Gail Ifail.

If Gwen Ifill anticipated that her hands would be tied when she moderated this debate, then she should've recused herself.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

I agree, it was a career move, she chose it, and she shouldn't play the victim now that it's over.

Ifil should, frankly, go back in time and hire someone better suited to moderate a debate. She personified FAIL.

I know, how sad is it that it will now be said of her, "She's no Katie Couric"?

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shinola View Post
    If Gwen Ifill anticipated that her hands would be tied when she moderated this debate, then she should've recused herself.
    It may have been too late to do that. Plus, she may have signed a contract that didn't have an out clause.

I realize that I'm the only one defending her, but I really think something was up that hasn't been revealed yet.

Yeesh, I understand how tkdgirl feels when defending conservative values.

*Exit GR stage left*

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

Who wrote that? It is fabulous.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

You can't defend her shitty modding. If she was being influenced to the point that she was acting unfairly, it's indefensible on principle alone. If she couldn't do her job properly, then she shouldn't have been there.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

You can't defend her shitty modding.
    Actually, I can. First, it's my right and just my silly opinion. Also, I'm more sympathetic than most around here, it seems. My playing fair has always been a sore spot for me.

What I meant was that, logically, it is indefensible. You can personaly go ahead and try all you like (anybody can) but as a moderator she was a failure. Whatever outside reason for it happening is irrelevant. Outside reasons are not supposed to affect moderating, and if they do, such moderating is regarded as a failure.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I heard an interview with Gwen this morning. She said she told exactly what to wear and how to behave. She made some funny comments about she was surprised they didn't tell her what color panties to wear too. She said there several times where she wanted to jump on Palin but could not. She hoped Joe would do it. This may all be well and true but why then would you accept the role knowing your mouth would be tied shut?
    That is the lamest excuse. She was the moderator, it was her job to control the flow of the debate. So to say she couldn't is a sign that she didn't do her job.

As soon as Palin announced that she wasn't going to be answering the questions the way Ifill wanted her to, that's when Ifill should have told Palin that she was bound by the same rules that Biden was, whether she liked it or not. But she didn't, and Palin got to coast by without giving any specific answers.

I listen to NPR a lot, and I've always liked Gwen Ifill whenever I hear her on there. She's struck me as a smart, respected, competent journalist from everything I've heard from her. But last night she totally dropped the ball, and it sounds like she let the McCain camp/her bosses intimidate her into giving Palin a free pass. I'm extremely disappointed in Ifill, disappointed that she caved in to the pressure, I really expected more from a professional like her.

Elite Member

Not to defend Gwen, but I just got the feeling that she had a lot of questions she was determined to get through, and she didn't want to waste time backtracking trying to get a straight answer out of Palin. I think Gwen knew Palin was going to bullshit her way through and wasn't going to be pinned down, and I'd like to think that she wanted to give Biden a chance to cover all the important issues and not lose time to Sarah's roundabout incoherent babbling.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I heard an interview with Gwen this morning. She said she told exactly what to wear and how to behave. She made some funny comments about she was surprised they didn't tell her what color panties to wear too. She said there several times where she wanted to jump on Palin but could not. She hoped Joe would do it. This may all be well and true but why then would you accept the role knowing your mouth would be tied shut?
    I believe Gwen may be referring to the agreed rules of the debate. She may have been the moderator, but she still has to stick to the agreed rules. Admittedly, I don't know what they are, but I think someone should look them up before accusing Ifill of not doing her job. The rules for this debate were decidedly different than those of the 1st McCain-Obama debate.

Quote Originally Posted by ana-mish-ana View Post
    Thank you posting that. That reminds me so much of Bernie Mac. Hilarious truth telling.

OMG someone called me a bitter jellus fattie somewhere because I said Palin was dumb.

Thread Information