Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Voters say drill

Quote Originally Posted by lurkur View Post
    ??????? Am I on Candid Camera?????????

If you think supply and demand don't effect gas prices, what good will more drilling do for your gas prices??? Isn't that the whole point of drilling? When I pressed you to put things in your own terms, your own opinion revealed everything contrary to drilling, but yet you agree with this parroted talking-points op/ed because why exactly???

You're changing the subject again. The original article, that you posted, was about opening up new drilling, which is also what we have been discussing this whole time. Now you're talking about how come no one complains about existing drilling in Cuba. First of all, people do complain. Secondly, MORE people complain about ANWAR because continuing existing drilling is not the same as starting up new drilling, which would entail massive additional economic and environmental costs to the citizens of the United States before one drop of oil ever pumped out.

And if no one gets the irony of the question about why we allow something in Cuba that we don't allow in the US, then I guess we need naked people on TV with big flashy lights that say "Guantanamo Bay." Oh wait, that did happen. We're so fucked.
    You obviously didn't read what I posted.

And Camp Gitmo? Nice try at deflection. Russia, Canada, Cuba and China are doing exploratory drilling 50 miles off the coast of Florida. Using Gitmo as some excuse is not an answer. So tell me, why do we allow those countries to do exploratory drilling, and not our own?

I'll give you your answer: because environmental groups with powerful strangle holds in DC would go ape shit. Which is why we don't have it for the US- either off the Florida coast or in ANWAR.

As I have said before, when it comes down to the small risk of endangering wildlife (and it is incredibly small thanks to technology) and finding ways to ease the burden on the American people... guess which one the majority will pick.

The posted article already shows that.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    So you put your faith in Obama, in the government, to do something about the energy crisis. I'll put mine where it truly belong- the private sector, where all the advanced in technology, etc. will come from.
    I just want to respectfully point out that this is precisely what Obama proposes we do in his energy policy:

'Obama will invest $150 billion over 10 years to advance the next generation of biofuels and fuel infrastructure, accelerate the commercialization of plug-in hybrids, promote development of commercial-scale renewable energy, invest in low-emissions coal plants, and begin the transition to a new digital electricity grid. A principal focus of this fund will be devoted to ensuring that technologies that are developed in the U.S. are rapidly commercialized in the U.S. and deployed around the globe.'

And here:
    'Clean Technologies Deployment Venture Capital Fund: Obama will create a Clean Technologies Venture Capital Fund to fill a critical gap in U.S. technology development. Obama will invest $10 billion per year into this fund for five years. The fund will partner with existing investment funds and our National Laboratories to ensure that promising technologies move beyond the lab and are commercialized in the U.S.'

Barack Obama | Change We Can Believe In | Energy

Elite Member

Cali, why are you trying to confuse us with facts and logic?

that's leftist commie pinko talk!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Russia, Canada, Cuba and China are doing exploratory drilling 50 miles off the coast of Florida.
    GOP claim about Chinese oil drilling off Cuba is untrue

By Erika Bolstad and Kevin G. Hall | McClatchy Newspapers

WASHINGTON — As Congress has debated energy policy over the past several days, an unusual argument keeps surfacing in support of drilling off the U.S. coastline and in Alaska's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.
    Why, ask some Republicans, should the United States be thwarted from drilling in its own territory when just 50 miles off the Florida coastline the Chinese government is drilling for oil under Cuban leases?
    Yet no one can prove that the Chinese are drilling anywhere off Cuba's shoreline. The China-Cuba connection is "akin to urban legend," said Sen. Mel Martinez, a Republican from Florida who opposes drilling off the coast of his state but who backs exploration in ANWR.
    "China is not drilling in Cuba's Gulf of Mexico waters, period," said Jorge Pinon, an energy fellow with the Center for Hemispheric Policy at the University of Miami and an expert in oil exploration in the Gulf of Mexico. Martinez cited Pinon's research when he took to the Senate floor Wednesday to set the record straight.
    Even so, the Chinese-drilling-in-Cuba legend has gained momentum and has been swept up in Republican arguments to open up more U.S. territory to domestic production.
    Vice President Dick Cheney, in a speech Wednesday to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, picked up the refrain. Cheney quoted a column by George Will, who wrote last week that "drilling is under way 60 miles off Florida. The drilling is being done by China, in cooperation with Cuba, which is drilling closer to South Florida than U.S. companies are."
    In his speech, Cheney described the Chinese as being "in cooperation with the Cuban government. Even the communists have figured out that a good answer to higher prices means more supply."
    "But Congress says no to drilling in ANWR, no to drilling on the East Coast, no to drilling on the West Coast," Cheney added.
    The office of House Minority Leader John Boehner defended the GOP drilling claims. "A 2006 New York Times story highlights lease agreements negotiated between Cuba and China and the fact that China was planning to drill in the Florida Strait off the coast of Cuba," said spokesman Michael Steel.
    The China-Cuba connection also appeared in an editorial Monday in Investor's Business Daily, which wrote that "the U.S. Congress has voted consistently to keep 85 percent of America's offshore oil and gas off-limits, while China and Cuba drill 60 miles from Key West, Fla."
    And on Tuesday, Rep. George Radanovich, R-Calif., wrote in the Modesto Bee that "China, thanks to a lease issued by Cuba, is drilling for oil just 50 miles off Florida's coast."
    A spokesman for Radanovich said Wednesday that the congressman had read about a Cuban lease to Chinese interests in the 2006 Times article.
    China's Sinopec oil company does have an agreement with the Cuban government, but it's to develop onshore resources west of Havana, Pinon said. The Chinese have done some seismic testing, he said, but no drilling, and nothing offshore.
    Western diplomats in Havana tell McClatchy that to the best of their knowledge, there is no Chinese drilling in or around Cuba.
    "I've never heard anything about this," said one diplomat from a country in the hemisphere.
    The Western diplomats, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media about energy issues, said they believed there is no new drilling occurring off the coast of Cuba, just exploration.
    Cuba's state oil company, Cupet, has issued exploration contracts to companies from India, Canada, Spain, Malaysia and Norway, according to diplomats.
    But many oil companies from those countries have expressed reservations about how to turn potential crude oil into product. Cuba doesn't have the refinery capacity, and the Cuban embargo prohibits the oil from coming to U.S. refineries, Pinon said.
    The most recent high-profile contract with Cuba went to Brazil's state oil company, Petrobras. Cuba inked a contract with Petrobras in January, allowing the Brazilian energy giant to search for oil in the deep waters of the Gulf of Mexico that are within Cuba's sovereign territory. Brazil's foreign minister, Celso Amorim, traveled to Cuba last month and talked up the oil business, along with a joint venture between Cuba and Petrobras to produce lubricants.
    Most of Cuba's oil comes from Venezuela, with whom it shares an ideological bent and geographical proximity. Brazil's growing role in Cuba's energy sector is significant because Petrobras has been involved in some of the world's few discoveries of new and large oilfields.
    McClatchy Washington Bureau | 06/12/2008 | GOP claim about Chinese oil drilling off Cuba is untrue

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

"Chinese oil and gas company Sinopec Corp. is in a joint venture to extract oil in Cuba's western Pinar del Rio province, and other companies are considering offshore drilling in Cuba's Gulf of Mexico waters."

Times article is a bit dated.

"China's Sinopec oil company does have an agreement with the Cuban government, but it's to develop onshore resources west of Havana, Piñon said. The Chinese have done some seismic testing, he said, but no drilling, and nothing offshore. Western diplomats in Havana told McClatchy that to the best of their knowledge there is no Chinese drilling offshore. Cuba's state oil company, Cupet, has issued exploration contracts to companies from India, Canada, Spain, Malaysia and Norway. But many oil companies from those countries have expressed reservations about how to turn potential crude oil into product. Cuba doesn't have the refinery capacity, and the biggest potential market -- the U.S. -- is off limits because of the trade embargo."
    China-Cuba rumors fuel renewed offshore drilling debate - 06/12/2008 - MiamiHerald.com

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Silver Member

Angry

people who are against off shore drilling will care when they lose their jobs and can't feed their families

taxes and suing OPEC will do nothing except increases prices

OPEC will sell their oil to other countries

this problem has been 30 years in the making

Quote Originally Posted by Calimoonchild View Post
    I just want to respectfully point out that this is precisely what Obama proposes we do in his energy policy:

'Obama will invest $150 billion over 10 years to advance the next generation of biofuels and fuel infrastructure, accelerate the commercialization of plug-in hybrids, promote development of commercial-scale renewable energy, invest in low-emissions coal plants, and begin the transition to a new digital electricity grid. A principal focus of this fund will be devoted to ensuring that technologies that are developed in the U.S. are rapidly commercialized in the U.S. and deployed around the globe.'

And here:
    'Clean Technologies Deployment Venture Capital Fund: Obama will create a Clean Technologies Venture Capital Fund to fill a critical gap in U.S. technology development. Obama will invest $10 billion per year into this fund for five years. The fund will partner with existing investment funds and our National Laboratories to ensure that promising technologies move beyond the lab and are commercialized in the U.S.'

Barack Obama | Change We Can Believe In | Energy
    Wonderful!

Why is it we allow Cuba to drill no more than 50 miles off the Florida coast, but not our own country???
    excuse me?
    whether you like the cuban regime or not, they are still a sovereign nation last time i checked, and what they do in their own territory is their business. god, it's enough that you have that retarded embargo. if the US decides to drill or not in alaska, it's up to them but i don't see why it would be up to them to allow a sovereign nation to do anything. should canada and mexico ask permission when dealing with domestic issues too?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

yeah, you've seen what the US does to sovereign nations, and you remember when the US tried to order canada not to trade with them? They got laughed at.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    excuse me?
    whether you like the cuban regime or not, they are still a sovereign nation last time i checked, and what they do in their own territory is their business. god, it's enough that you have that retarded embargo. if the US decides to drill or not in alaska, it's up to them but i don't see why it would be up to them to allow a sovereign nation to do anything. should canada and mexico ask permission when dealing with domestic issues too?
    Thank you, that attitude is part of the reason that the reputation of the U.S. stinks. Hopefully it will soon change, when Obama is elected President.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

^^ That is one thing that will NEVER change..there will always be "you liberals", or the "you repub" talk..I will never understand why people mention it time after time/after time..

Maybe..I don't understand, but aren't there things besides oil we can use, and isn't there some sort of way to maybe use less oil...stretch it's use somehow? I just thought that it would be obvious..since everything else doesn't seem to be working...I really don't understand. Can someone explain?

Silver Member

Angry

in my area, people are driving the speed limits , less road rage driving
    local car dealerships are having trouble moving SUVs of the lot

you have to demand the use of solar and wind
    call your state, local gov't officials, local power company

watch for meaningless lawsuits against the use of solar and wind power

americans are forgetting that WE are in charge

this was my election year speech

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information