Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Volunteering, facing the ugly in people..

You could be making a huge difference just my answering questions they have no one else to answer. I admire your courage . I guess I can see your point about not hanging up on the ranters,but I think I would-with glee. Now we know why I would not make a good volunteer!
    I do too.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I think some thoughtful Repulicans are having private second thoughts.
    I honestly think that a lot of Republicans -- in the privacy in their own voting booth -- will pull the lever that has Obama's name on it. Some won't admit it, some publicly embrace him

Welcome to Republicans for Obama | Republicans for Obama

SSDiva - thank you for putting yourself out there. My eyes filled with tears reading your post. The positive thing I can offer here is that the world is changing, just too slowly. These racist you spoke with are becoming fewer and fewer. People who have courage, like you, will help the process move further ahead.

That's so depressing. It sucks having to be "pleasant" in the face of such stupidity, but you are right, any sort of anger on your part will only fuel them.

I couldnt' do it, I'd be on their asses in a heartbeat.

I think you are doing a GREAT job!! I'm still on the fence as far as who I will vote for(leaning towards Obama) and people like you are needed to get the information out there to the average Joe.
    I never reply on these political threads as I am pretty 'politically illiterate' but I really appreciate the stories and responses on these threads. I am learning and want to make an informed vote in November.
    Keep up the good work!
    I'm not quite drunk enough to really care, but is this her violation of her violation of her violation of her violation of probation or her violation of her violation of her violation of her probation????? ~MontanaMama on LL's latest arrest.

no matter who you are voting for I have had it with the name calling of candidates..All it really does is show peoples ignorance..Chin up!
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Quote Originally Posted by SSDiva View Post
    ^^McJag, I can't hang up on them. I don't want to make his campaign look bad in anyway. The last thing we need is someone on tv saying an Obama volunteer hung-up on them, or worse. But, I'd like to introduce that one guy to some Bmore locals!!

Thanks for the encouragement. After taking time out to cook dinner, I made more calls. I actually talked to a few republicans who weren't disrespectful, and actually asked about info on Obama. I have a few more people to go before I am through my 25, and I just signed up for 50 in Maryland. However, I don't think I am going to go door to door in VA..I am a little chicken now, it's not like they will actually send me to Richmond, or Tysons Corner..
    Stay strong, SS. I need to get off my ass and do some volunteering for Obama, too, but I just don't have the time, or the patience, to deal with the morons right now. But I just wrote a column about Obama and encouraged the readers to get out and vote their interests on election day. So, I'm doing my small part for the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    Pffftt Virginia is a lovely place.

As for the elderly & racism, the way that woman said that reminds me of my grandparents. They were so sincere & matter-of-fact in their racism. They didn't express any hate really, but they would drop the N-bomb here & there & stereotype like crazy, and just seemed to think that sorry, those are the facts (as opposed to their thinking.) It was useless to argue with them about it. They didnt' seem to mean any harm, but they were racists nonetheless. Seems like this is not uncommon in the elderly.
    I have heard this from people down South, who come up, northern way. They said that racism is much more out in the open there. Up here, someone maybe racist, but you don't really know cuz they keep it to themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by SSDiva View Post
    However, I don't think I am going to go door to door in VA..I am a little chicken now, it's not like they will actually send me to Richmond, or Tysons Corner..
    SS-When they send you door to door, you will not go to any registered Republican homes. generally those that are for Obama or leaning on the fence. I've been going door to door, and so far, no one has said they were voting McCain. Only one still undecided and other "leaners" were going Obama.

FYI, the local paper just did a poll over the weekend and has Obama in the lead for Iowa.

Elite Member

Wow. That's horrible. Just remember that these old people grew up in a time when racism was a way of life and with every new generation we get further and further away from these beliefs (and the old racist farts will go the way of the dinosaurs )
    "Give me your love and I'll give you--the Perfect Love Song!"

Hit By Ban Bus!

That sucks to hear, but you know I find the outright racist people less disgusting than the closet racists ... you know the people that only do it privately around their close friends (and I know some).

At least you can spot the open ones.

Gold Member

This state is a lock for McCain, unfortunately. A vote for Obama in this state is a protest vote, nothing more.

I really ought to register.

Hang in there, Diva. I think it's a great thing that you're doing and anyone you get on your side will be valuable. And ignore the racist fucks, they are just pathetic people who have nothing else to be proud of than the colour of their skin. It's ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by tee-ha-ha View Post
    This state is a lock for McCain, unfortunately. A vote for Obama in this state is a protest vote, nothing more.

Please do. I wonder how many other in your state are thinking it's a lost cause and won't register...this makes me sad. I implore you to PLEASE vote!
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."-Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by tee-ha-ha View Post

RESISTER NOW!!! Otherwise you lose your right to bitch. I don't care how the rest of the state votes,just doing nothing this year isn't an option. No vote is ever wasted. At least let the results show the anti-old guard numbers are rising. If everyone who felt like you got their ass out and voted ,they would make a difference. You can vote absentee early,you won't even have to stand in line-although I love the huste & bustle of voting day at the polls. Here:

Am I Already Registered to Vote?

Can't remember if you've registered in the past? Please feel free to use our Texas Voter Information Website that not only confirms whether you are registered or not, but will even allow you to search for your polling place location prior to an election. The service is easy to use. All you need is a Texas Driver's license to get started. If you know that you have not registered to vote then please use the Informal Online Application service which is displayed to the right.
    Informal Online Application

You may fill out a voter registration application online, print it and mail it to the voter registrar in your county of residence. You are not registered until you have filled out the online application, printed it, and mailed it to your local County Voter Registrar. The County Voter Registrar's address can be found at the top of the online outputted voter registration application once you have submitted your information from the fill-in-the blanks screen.
    Note: This service is best viewed on Internet Explorer 7 and higher or Firefox.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

it really scares me. I live in the south, and people are openly anti-bush, while at the same time terrified a black man will be president. It's bizarre projection, I think. I don't know how much it will come into play on election day.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    ^^LOL@Grim.

I'm not shocked. But it's not just about race. Anytime you call people out of the blue, for whatever reason, you're going to run into a lot of anger and attitude. Hell, a few years ago I used to have a part-time telemarketing job and I got cursed out so much it wasn't funny. It's part of the terrority.

That's just plain rude.

I don't enjoy telemarketers, but I do realize they are just doing a job, and trying to earn a living.....I usually just claim to be on another call and ask if they can call back another time.

It doesn't cost anything to be polite
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information