Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Victory: Chicago loses the Olympics

He said what the Chicago Bid Committee WANTED him to say. They had no concept to hammer home unlike Rio, which is why their presentation sucked. Why would he talk about things that they didn't want him to talk about? They've been spearheading this effort for a few years now. That they couldn't get it together on their final presentation is their fault and only their fault.

I also found Obama's speech off putting and arrogant.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    And that's the failure of the Chicago BID committee. Not Obama. What's said in the presentation speeches is the responsibility of the BID committee. The fact that the bid committee couldn't come up with a good reason why Chicago should be selected is the BID committee's fault. And they had years to prep for this.
    Again, it's the bid committee's responsibility for what he says in his speech. They're the ones who organized the entire Chicago presentation. They're the ones responsible for ensuring that ANY of the speeches relate to their overall concept in their final presentation to the IOC. Not Obama.
    Oh come on. Was the committee supposed to write his speech too? The purpose of his speech was to tie it all together, summarize the pitch and state the case once again. I know Chicago did a number of things to prepare for this, and they had some things going for them, none of which were mentioned in the speeches by the President or the First Lady. Most other Olympic speeches by the leaders of each country contained details and selling points. They weren't just up there to go on and on about their love for a given city- they were there to close the deal and win over votes.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    lol Obama just reads the speech he's given, never wondering what's in it or how it relates...
    Seriously.

He said what the Chicago Bid Committee WANTED him to say. They had no concept to hammer home unlike Rio, which is why their presentation sucked.
    Where do you get your material from? I found extensive details of their plan (and it wasn't bad) just by visiting their Wiki page and Chicago2016.org. They definitely had a plan and some interesting selling points that didn't even enter the speeches.

Like these- they sound pretty neat:
    The vast majority of the venues in Chicago’s Games plan are concentrated in the heart of the city, within its historic parks. These parks have served as celebration sites for more than 100 years and are also home to renowned museums and cultural institutions. The competitions will be framed by the city’s iconic skyline and the shoreline of Lake Michigan
    and
    To compete at the highest level, athletes need ideal conditions. Chicago 2016’s concept for the Blue-Green Games will create those conditions by not only providing athletes with optimal venues but also addressing the air they breathe and even the water that sustains them. The concept is simple: blue for clean air and water, and green for parks and nature. Working with more than 75 public and private organizations, Chicago 2016 has developed a plan that will reduce the total impact of the Games—on both carbon and water—so that the only footprints remaining after the Closing Ceremony belong to the athletes.
    But were they mentioned in the final speeches? Nope.

^ Yeah, but those details are in the package, so I don't think it would've made a difference if they'd talked about them.

Come to think of it, it sounds like the Chicago bid committee wanted the Obamas speeches to be like one of NBC's cheesy athlete profiles that goes on forever (instead of showing more sports) so that we'll identify with them, etc, etc. As in, if the Obamas talk about their lives in Chicago, that'll get them emotionally tied into the Chicago Olympics channel and not change to Madrid or Rio!

Besides, none of the details about Chicago sound particularly impressive in comparison to the other three. I think I heard Tokyo's big selling point was that it was going to be the first sustainable games. Madrid's got most everything already built (a big deal after Athens barely finishing everything in time). Rio's is obviously about geography.

Plus, I think given the fact that the next World Cup is in South Africa, I think the IOC was hard pressed to give an Olympics to a less developed part of the word.
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    Oh come on. Was the committee supposed to write his speech too? The purpose of his speech was to tie it all together, summarize the pitch and state the case once again. I know Chicago did a number of things to prepare for this, and they had some things going for them, none of which were mentioned in the speeches by the President or the First Lady. Most other Olympic speeches by the leaders of each country contained details and selling points. They weren't just up there to go on and on about their love for a given city- they were there to close the deal and win over votes.
    How do you know they didn't write his speech? It's not inconceivable given that much of it was rehash from other Obama speeches.

And who is the chairman of the Chicago bid committee? Barack Obama or Pat Ryan? Last I recall, Pat Ryan was chairing that committee before Obama even announced his candidacy for prez. Obama deserves a lot of blame for a lot of things, but the Chicago committee's FAIL ain't one of them.

Where do you get your material from? I found extensive details of their plan (and it wasn't bad) just by visiting their Wiki page and Chicago2016.org. They definitely had a plan and some interesting selling points that didn't even enter the speeches.

Like these- they sound pretty neat:

and

But were they mentioned in the final speeches? Nope.
    Ooh! Clean air and water! Games concentrated in particular physical area! Such ground breaking claims. Because claiming you can provide clean air & water just gets you to the final round. Do you honestly think Madrid, Tokyo or Rio aren't going to claim they can provide clean air & water to the IOC? Particularly Tokyo given that they were claiming they were going to host the first sustainable games, which included a solar-powered stadium. Having the games in a concentrated area? Last I recall, all the other countries were claiming the same thing. But even still, plenty of Chicago's venues would have been outside of their concentrated area. Some of the athlete housing would have been at a university in Wisconsin too.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Wombat View Post
    ^ Yeah, but those details are in the package, so I don't think it would've made a difference if they'd talked about them.
    Maybe, maybe not. But its just common sense to remind your audience of the best parts of your pitch before they decide. I have no idea why they didn't.

How do you know they didn't write his speech? It's not inconceivable given that much of it was rehash from other Obama speeches.
    The International Olympic Committee wrote the speech for the President of the United States to deliver? That did not happen. Besides the well, obvious reasons why, it was too autobiographical to be written by the committee.

And who is the chairman of the Chicago bid committee? Barack Obama or Pat Ryan? Last I recall, Pat Ryan was chairing that committee before Obama even announced his candidacy for prez. Obama deserves a lot of blame for a lot of things, but the Chicago committee's FAIL ain't one of them.
    I've never said that I blame Obama for the bid failing. Not once. There were lots of reasons, and yeah, I do think its reasonable to think that the tone of their speeches put them crossways with some of the voting members. Who knows if it swayed any votes, but it could have been one factor among many.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Wombat View Post
    Besides, none of the details about Chicago sound particularly impressive in comparison to the other three. I think I heard Tokyo's big selling point was that it was going to be the first sustainable games.
    Particularly Tokyo given that they were claiming they were going to host the first sustainable games, which included a solar-powered stadium.
    Funny, thats pretty much what Chicago pitched:
    Blue-Green Games
    Climate Cool

this is such a meme
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

The International Olympic Committee wrote the speech for the President of the United States to deliver? That did not happen. Besides the well, obvious reasons why, it was too autobiographical to be written by the committee.
    I assumed you were referring to the Chicago Olympic bid committee. You didn't really specify when you wrote "committee." It's the Chicago committee I was referring too. I didn't hear any autobiographical info that I haven't heard before in that speech.

I've never said that I blame Obama for the bid failing. Not once. There were lots of reasons, and yeah, I do think its reasonable to think that the tone of their speeches put them crossways with some of the voting members. Who knows if it swayed any votes, but it could have been one factor among many.
    Really?

I think this was more of an ego slap than anything. The Obama's rolled in there as the President and First Lady with an attitude like they had already been anointed to host the Olympics. Like I said, I think very highly of them but even I, after listening to their speeches, was thinking 'Man, I hope they cut them down to size and don't pick Chicago.' It pains me to say that, but yeah.
    Care to clarify your earlier "ego slap" comment?

Care to clarify your earlier "ego slap" comment?
    Nope. There's no need to clarify. It means what it says, and not whatever you're trying to make it mean.

To be completely honest, I don't think the Olympics have any business being in Rio. There are much better ways for them to spend that much money, especially this close after the World Cup soccer.

One of the best speeches ever in front of an IOC congress, was Seb Coe's. It was widely believed that that's what pushed a lot of voters over to Londen's bid.

'96 should have gone to Athens and not to the home of the biggest sponsor of the Olympics. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by C_is_for_Cookie View Post
    '96 should have gone to Athens and not to the home of the biggest sponsor of the Olympics. YMMV.
    That's what I always thought, too at the time, but then I learned that Athens had a huge host of problems that hindered their selection for '96- infrastructure, political instability.

Athens was much more put together by the time they won the 2004 bid, and a lot of the construction was still not completed on schedule (although in time for the Olympics). I think if they hadn't had those issues at the time of the '96 bid process, I think they would've gotten it hands down.

As far as Atlanta, it wouldn't surprise me if the IOC doesn't award the US the Summer Olympics for a long time due to Atlanta. A lot of the European athletes and IOC members were very unhappy with how the Atlanta games were run and overly commercialized.
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

Nope. There's no need to clarify. It means what it says, and not whatever you're trying to make it mean.
    Amen, sista!

I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^^ Wassup with the blank posts, Grimm?

it's not blank, there's a picture you're apparently blocked from seeing at this address: http://www.blog.speculist.com/archives/meme.jpg

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information