Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Victory: Chicago loses the Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    So, now I said that I knew Obama well enough to know what he thinks? I would ask you to point out where I said that, but we both you know that it's a figment of your imagination.
    Amazing. Simply amazing that you're denying this. You clearly did just that. You said this back on page one:
    Both he and Oprah thought that they could have the power to sway the IOC just by sheer will of who they were. And they both ended up with egg on their face, not just on a national level, but a GLOBAL level. So, it was a much-needed gut- punch to the ego.
    We all know you don't work in the White House or know Obama personally. So how the fucking hell do you explain typing out "he thought" a particular way on something?

Elite Member

OMG the hockey game between the US underdogs and the undefeated Russian team was one of the most exciting sports events I have ever seen!!! Miracle on ice, USA wins GOLD!
    Miracle On Ice - How The 1980 US Olympic Hockey Team Won Gold
    The '80 games were great in part for the Hockey victory as well as for Eric Heiden's performance speed skating.

I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Wow, I had no idea this thread turned into a hornets nest until just now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    This "blame Obama" meme regarding Chicago's Olympic loss is ridiculous, particularly the claims of "egoism."
    I'm not part of that 'meme.' If you noticed I said that I hated to say what I thought, and I've been a long-time defender and supporter of the Obamas. As for the egotism part of my comments, I backed that up with other examples. This is not a new problem for Obama. He wrote extensively about his ego, oversized ambition, and general career restlessness in his autobiography so its silly to have issues with that point, because Obama himself will be the first to admit it.

Chicago's bid was lackluster. I said it on this thread and in another one. Blaming it on Obama's "ego" or anything related to US politics IS bullshit.
    I didn't relate it to politics AT ALL.

Thanks, Fluffy. You've officially proven my point that your rant to me and Cali was pure bullshit.
    Thanks King.

Really? She may not have used the word "IOC" but how is saying "I think this was more of an ego slap" NOT saying "that the IOC rejected Chicago because of Obama's ego" when in the next sentence she says, "The Obama's rolled in there as the President and First Lady with an attitude like they had already been anointed to host the Olympics"? How is "this" [Chicago's loss] an "ego slap" if the IOC isn't rejecting Obama because of his "ego?"
    She said that she didn't like their speeches. But you need to define what "this" refers to because it clearly doesn't refer to their speeches when she mentions "ego slap."
    Fluffy, I'm entitled to my opinion. I found the Obamas' speeches to be a bit off-putting. I've listened to previous Olympic pitch speeches and they always include things like how the country has brought crime down so the Games would be safe, naming resources and assets to make the games unique in a particular city, and general selling points. I didn't hear ANY of that in the Obamas' speeches. Instead it was along the lines of their own personal Ode to Chicago. Which was fine and interesting nonetheless, but served to convince no one about WHY the games should be in Chicago.

Take, for example, this part of Michelle's speech:
    I was born and raised on Chicago's South Side, not far from where the Games would open and close. Ours was a neighborhood of working families -- families with modest homes and strong values....

But today, I can dream, and I am dreaming of an Olympic and Paralympic Games in Chicago that will light up lives in neighborhoods all across America
    and all across the world; that will expose all our neighborhoods to new sports and new role models; that will show every child that regardless of wealth, or
    gender, or race, or physical ability, there is a sport and a place for them, too.
    That doesn't tell me anything about why the Olympic committee should pick Chicago, other than that it will make the people of Chicago happy. Where's the benefit for the IOC and the rest of the world to have the games in Chicago? Both of their speeches totally missed that mark.

And lets look at some of the statements from Obama's speech:
    "But above all, I come as a faithful representative of the American people, and we look forward to welcoming the world to the shores of Lake Michigan and the heartland of our nation in 2016."
    That, to me, makes it sound a bit like he thinks its a done deal. And indeed, that's sounding like what he thought:
    Reporting from Washington - In the run-up to the Olympics vote, the White House was getting a clear message from the architects of Chicago's bid: Balloting would be tight, and a personal visit to Copenhagen from President Obama just might lock in a victory.

Leaders of the Windy City's campaign to secure the 2016 Summer Games had done some nose-counting and were convinced that the International Olympic Committee might well anoint Chicago as host, according to White House officials interviewed Saturday.

"The intelligence that we had from the U.S. Olympic Committee and Chicago bid team was that it was very close and therefore well worth our efforts," said Valerie Jarrett, a senior White House advisor. "The message was that . . . a personal appeal from the president would make a huge difference."
    Obama was told a trip to Olympics meeting may clinch Chicago win -- chicagotribune.com

You're welcome, Cali. Anytime.

btw. guys, this just in! Obama didn't cause Chicago to lose the Olympics.. nor did Chicago's shitty entry.. it was.. THE EVIL GAYS!

Here's another big bag of crazy.

Hartline "Ex-gay" "Christian" activist James Hartline lays out the real reasons Chicago failed to get the 2016 Olympics. Chicago failed because Mayor Daley approved the Gay Games in 2006, which was a staging gesture for the Olympics. Chicago also failed because Hartline and homophobic wingnut Matt Barber were "attacked" while preaching hate at the 2006 Gay Games in the Windy City, causing God to unleash a force upon the city's "demonic gay agenda":

"Because former homosexual James Hartline and the other Christians were willing to risk their lives for the Gospel while the world was glorifying homosexuality in Chicago, the Spirit of the Lord was released upon Chicago's demonic gay agenda in 2006. The Spirit of the Lord began contending with the anti-christ spirit inside the City of Chicago from that day forward. Thus, when President Barack Obama, Chicago Mayor Richard Daley and their armies of gay activist supporters in Boys Town attempt to square the reasons for their failure to garner an Olympic Bid for the Windy City, they had better recount the day that the Wind of the Holy Spirit was emparted into Chicago in 2006."

Wingnut: Chicago Lost Olympics Because of 'Demonic Gay Agenda' - Towleroad, More than gay news. More gay men
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^His copy of the 'blame Obama' meme must've gotten lost in the mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    That, to me, makes it sound a bit like he thinks its a done deal. And indeed, that's sounding like what he thought:
    Reporting from Washington - In the run-up to the Olympics vote, the White House was getting a clear message from the architects of Chicago's bid: Balloting would be tight, and a personal visit to Copenhagen from President Obama just might lock in a victory.

Leaders of the Windy City's campaign to secure the 2016 Summer Games had done some nose-counting and were convinced that the International Olympic Committee might well anoint Chicago as host, according to White House officials interviewed Saturday.

"The intelligence that we had from the U.S. Olympic Committee and Chicago bid team was that it was very close and therefore well worth our efforts," said Valerie Jarrett, a senior White House advisor. "The message was that . . . a personal appeal from the president would make a huge difference."
    Obama was told a trip to Olympics meeting may clinch Chicago win -- chicagotribune.com
    To me, that just sounds like what they told him to get him to come - as in, "If you come, you'll help us win the last few remaining votes, and if you don't come, it'll be all your fault we lost." So, he's damned in some people's eyes for going ALL THE WAY over to Denmark to support the American bid, and he's damned if he doesn't go.

I'm getting the impression that the Chicago bid committee didn't exactly do their homework and had some fantasy in their heads that the stars had magically aligned in their favor somehow no matter what the other candidate cities' bids looked like and that having a sitting US president whose residence is in their city would be icing on the cake.

For the '98 Winter Games, Salt Lake City knew they were in the running for it and ultimately only lost by 4 votes. That's the last American bid that lost. How is it that Chicago was that far off in gauging their chances? This isn't ObamaFAIL. This is CHICAGO FAIL.
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    why is any valid criticism of Obama called a fucking "meme"? Put down the pompoms honey, it's getting tired.
    Consider the source....
    And this is why I said it would be a waste of time arguing with you.

Show me the precise quote where I said anything about 'political grounds, Chicago and the IOC.' And don't tell me what others said, point out where I said it, because that's the only way you could justify asking me that question.

And as for Cali, she was talking about what she thought of Obama and Michelle's speeches to the committee. So, neither one of us said anything about Chicago being denied on political grounds in the posts you quoted.
    Don't fight it, man - put it on ignore.
    ^^His copy of the 'blame Obama' meme must've gotten lost in the mail.
    I'll drop him a copy of mine.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

^^

Quote Originally Posted by Little Wombat View Post
    For the '98 Winter Games, Salt Lake City knew they were in the running for it and ultimately only lost by 4 votes. That's the last American bid that lost. How is it that Chicago was that far off in gauging their chances? This isn't ObamaFAIL. This is CHICAGO FAIL.
    Whoops. I've already forgotten that NYC bid for 2012. Hell, their bid was a lot more put together than Chicago's, and they knew they didn't have a solid chance at winning.
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

I didn't relate it to politics AT ALL.
    As I stated up thread, other people have commented on it being related to politics.

Fluffy, I'm entitled to my opinion. I found the Obamas' speeches to be a bit off-putting. I've listened to previous Olympic pitch speeches and they always include things like how the country has brought crime down so the Games would be safe, naming resources and assets to make the games unique in a particular city, and general selling points. I didn't hear ANY of that in the Obamas' speeches. Instead it was along the lines of their own personal Ode to Chicago. Which was fine and interesting nonetheless, but served to convince no one about WHY the games should be in Chicago.
    And that's the failure of the Chicago BID committee. Not Obama. What's said in the presentation speeches is the responsibility of the BID committee. The fact that the bid committee couldn't come up with a good reason why Chicago should be selected is the BID committee's fault. And they had years to prep for this.

Take, for example, this part of Michelle's speech:
    That doesn't tell me anything about why the Olympic committee should pick Chicago, other than that it will make the people of Chicago happy. Where's the benefit for the IOC and the rest of the world to have the games in Chicago? Both of their speeches totally missed that mark.

And lets look at some of the statements from Obama's speech:
    Again, it's the bid committee's responsibility for what he says in his speech. They're the ones who organized the entire Chicago presentation. They're the ones responsible for ensuring that ANY of the speeches relate to their overall concept in their final presentation to the IOC. Not Obama.

lol Obama just reads the speech he's given, never wondering what's in it or how it relates...

He does have a speech writer at the WH.

and he has no input.. he's just a talking muppet? how much leeway are people prepared to give the president exactly

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information