Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Victory: Chicago loses the Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    The US has hosted the Olympics 8 times, more than any other country: St Louis, Lake Placid (twice), Squaw Valley, Los Angeles (twice), Atlanta, Salt Lake City.

The bright side of the Olympic trip is that Obama did manage to squeeze in a 25 minute meeting with Gen. McChrystal. Their first meeting since June, when McChrystal took command of all American and NATO forces in Afghanistan. They spoke only once after that, in a video conference call in August, until this week, when the general joined a video conference with the president to discuss the situation in Afghanistan.

So at least something important was done.
    Thank you I just seemed to remember NY and of course Ga when that unfortunate incident happened.
    YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT
    (M. Jagger/K. Richards)

Quote Originally Posted by viggofan View Post
    Maybe it was just me but Lake Placid didn't do it for me re: standing out and making it memorable in my mind. But then again that was just me.
    OMG the hockey game between the US underdogs and the undefeated Russian team was one of the most exciting sports events I have ever seen!!! Miracle on ice, USA wins GOLD!
    Miracle On Ice - How The 1980 US Olympic Hockey Team Won Gold
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Oh noes, I didn't cite every reason previously stated for Chicago's loss in this thread... I just cited the most recent one on page three, as inferred in witchcurlgirl's post above. If you actually considered that Chicago lost because their bid sucked, then you wouldn't have gone on talking in multiple posts about Obama's "ego."
    Nice try, Fluffy. But my talking about Obama's ego isn't the same thing as saying Chicago's bid wasn't good enough. So, my posts about his ego were just that. About his ego and the problems it can create, not about Chicago's bid. And Witchcurlgurl's post came AFTER your rant to Cali and I, so one had nothing to do with the other. And if you were citing Witchcurlgurl's post when you asked me that question, then it would've made more sense for you to pose it to Witchcurlgurl, not me.

And the fact that you couldn't produce any of my quotes to back up what you're saying speaks volumes, no matter how many of these you use.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Nice try, Fluffy. But my talking about Obama's ego isn't the same thing as saying Chicago's bid wasn't good enough. So, my posts about his ego were just that. About his ego and the problems it can create, not about Chicago's bid. And Witchcurlgurl's post came AFTER your rant to Cali and I, so one had nothing to do with the other. And if you were citing Witchcurlgurl's post when you asked me that question, then it would've made more sense for you to pose it to Witchcurlgurl, not me.

And the fact that you couldn't produce any of my quotes to back up what you're saying speaks volumes, no matter how many of these you use.
    A politician that has an ego. How shocking. I don't know how all those other politicians deal with being egoless... A politician with an ego: it's such a novel thing to say.

A politician that has an ego. How shocking. I don't know how all those other politicians deal with being egoless... A politician with an ego: it's such a novel thing to say.
    Thanks, Fluffy. You've officially proven my point that your rant to me and Cali was pure bullshit.

Thanks, Fluffy. You've officially proven my point that your rant to me and Cali was pure bullshit.
    Chicago's bid was lackluster. I said it on this thread and in another one. Blaming it on Obama's "ego" or anything related to US politics IS bullshit.

Chicago's presentation was anemic, says IOC member

Sun Oct 4, 2009 5:22pm EDT

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Chicago's anemic presentation at Friday's vote to choose the host for the 2016 Olympics was partly to blame for the U.S. city's humiliating first-round elimination, a voting delegate said on Sunday.

Israel's International Olympic Committee (IOC) member Alex Gilady said Chicago's dismal showing at the Copenhagen congress that chose Rio de Janeiro to stage the Games was enhanced only by U.S. President Barack Obama and his wife, Michelle.

"Chicago's presentation without (the Obamas) was very, very anemic and Rio's presentation was excellent," Gilady told Israel Radio in a telephone interview from Copenhagen.

Chicago's shock exit came after it received only 18 votes from the more than 100 IOC members despite the presence for the first time of a sitting U.S. president and an eloquent speech from the first lady.

Obama paid a flying visit of only a few hours to Copenhagen to bolster the Chicago bid team's effort but Gilady did not think this had an adverse effect on the voting.

"This really, really was not against Obama, on the contrary. His wife, who spent three days here, did excellent work and he took the time to come here especially for a 45 minute presentation," Gilady said.

He added that tactical voting by IOC members from Asian countries to ensure Tokyo -- the other candidate city alongside eventual runner-up Madrid -- stayed in the race could also have been a factor in Chicago's early exit.

"It is also possible that the Asian vote to try to avoid embarrassment for Tokyo caused embarrassment to another city," he said.

Gilady also mentioned the United States Olympic Committee's long-running dispute with the IOC.

"There is also the very shaky relationship with the American Olympic Committee which carried a certain weight, although every delegate voted as they saw fit," said Gilady, Israel's only IOC member and a high-powered TV executive at NBC.
    Chicago's presentation was anemic, says IOC member | Reuters

Fluffy, nowhere in ANY of my posts did I blame Obama for Chicago losing the Olympic bid. And my point about his ego was in regards to his making the trip over there to try and sway the IOC, since it wasn't going to do any good because Chicago wasn't going to win anyway, regardless of their bid.

And the fact that you keep trying to make the point that I was blaming Obama proves that your rant was bullshit. Now, I would ask you to provide quotes where I 'blame Obama' for the failure with the Olympics, but I know that would be a waste of time, since you can't produce quotes that don't exist.

Fluffy, nowhere in ANY of my posts did I blame Obama for Chicago losing the Olympic bid. And my point about his ego was in regards to his making the trip over there to try and sway the IOC, since it wasn't going to do any good because Chicago wasn't going to win anyway, regardless of their bid.

And the fact that you keep trying to make the point that I was blaming Obama proves that your rant was bullshit. Now, I would ask you to provide quotes where I 'blame Obama' but I know that would be a waste of time, since you can't produce quotes that don't exist.
    So you just decided to expound on Obama's "ego" on a whim? You weren't concurring AT ALL with Cali statements on Obama's "ego" when you said this:
    I think Obama's biggest weakness is that his ego trips him up at times.
    right after she said this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    I listened to their speeches at the Olympic committee and it really struck me as presumptuous. I love Obama and Michelle but their speeches very much gave me the impression that they thought it was in the bag. Instead of saying things like 'we'd be honored to host' and 'if chosen', they kept saying 'when' and 'it will be great' etc. Granted, I haven't listened to many of these Olypmic pitch speeches, but it also struck me that they didn't say anything practical: they hardly mentioned WHY Chicago made sense, what the big selling points were, what made the city unique and special, etc. Instead, their speeches were more about the Obamas, and their love of Chicago.

I think this was more of an ego slap than anything. The Obama's rolled in there as the President and First Lady with an attitude like they had already been anointed to host the Olympics. Like I said, I think very highly of them but even I, after listening to their speeches, was thinking 'Man, I hope they cut them down to size and don't pick Chicago.' It pains me to say that, but yeah.
    You aren't exactly rebutting the IOC-rebukes-Obama's-ego theory with what you wrote.

So you just decided to expound on Obama's "ego" on a whim? You weren't concurring AT ALL with Cali statements on Obama's "ego" when you said this:
    My point in mentioning Obama's ego was about the trip and how his ego was a major weakness of his, which should've been self-explanatory. If it's not self-explanatory to you, then that's your problem. And I mentioned Oprah's ego too, but I don't see you claiming that I was 'blaming Oprah.' If you feel that I was 'blaming Obama' for the Olympic failure then that's because you CHOSE to read it that way. Which, once again, is your problem, not mine.

And if you were actually paying attention, you would've seen that the reason why I expounded on examples of Obama's ego was because BITTER asked me about the ego issue.

right after she said this:You aren't exactly rebutting the IOC-rebukes-Obama's-ego theory with what you wrote.
    Since Cali didn't make the point that the IOC rejected Chicago because of Obama's ego, then why would I need to rebutt it? Cali was talking about how she didn't like Obama and Michelle's speeches and that she hoped that they would get rejected because she thought the speeches were egocentric. That's not the same thing as saying "the Obamas' egos cost Chicago the Olympics."

Fluffy, you can continue to try and twist what I said, but it doesn't change the fact that your rant was based on your own personal interpretation of what I was saying, and not what I actually said.

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    OMG the hockey game between the US underdogs and the undefeated Russian team was one of the most exciting sports events I have ever seen!!!
    Me too. A huge moment in sports.

I go up to Lake Placid to ski at Whiteface in the winter, and I always go into the arena where it happened, and then I'll ice skate on the track where Eric Heiden won the 5 speed skating golds. I'm so geeky with stuff like that.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

My point in mentioning Obama's ego was about the trip and how his ego was a major weakness of his, which should've been self-explanatory. If it's not self-explanatory to you, then that's your problem. And I mentioned Oprah's ego too, but I don't see you claiming that I was 'blaming Oprah.' If you feel that I was 'blaming Obama' for the Olympic failure then that's because you CHOSE to read it that way. Which, once again, is your problem, not mine.

And if you were actually paying attention, you would've seen that the reason why I expounded on examples of Obama's ego was because BITTER asked me about the ego issue.
    The President takes a trip on behalf of the US and automatically it's related to his ego? When he calls on other countries and their leaders is that ego related too then? Or if he signs condolence letters or does any other kind of ceremonial duty? He was ASKED by the Chicago bid committee to go on their behalf, so I still don't get where his doing something at someone else's request in a circumstance where the US may benefit suddenly becomes all about his ego.

I saw your comment on Oprah.
    Both he and Oprah thought that they could have the power to sway the IOC just by sheer will of who they were. And they both ended up with egg on their face, not just on a national level, but a GLOBAL level. So, it was a much-needed gut- punch to the ego.
    I find it amazing that you know Obama well enough to say that he "thought" he could "have the power to sway the IOC just by sheer will." Do you think King Carlos of Spain thought he had the power to "sway the IOC just by sheer will?" Or the prime minister of Japan? They both went and lost.

Since Cali didn't make the point that the IOC rejected Chicago because of Obama's ego,
    Really?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    I think this was more of an ego slap than anything. The Obama's rolled in there as the President and First Lady with an attitude like they had already been anointed to host the Olympics.
    She may not have used the word "IOC" but how is saying "I think this was more of an ego slap" NOT saying "that the IOC rejected Chicago because of Obama's ego" when in the next sentence she says, "The Obama's rolled in there as the President and First Lady with an attitude like they had already been anointed to host the Olympics"? How is "this" [Chicago's loss] an "ego slap" if the IOC isn't rejecting Obama because of his "ego?"
    then why would I need to rebutt it? Cali was talking about how she didn't like Obama and Michelle's speeches and that she hoped that they would get rejected because she thought the speeches were egocentric. That's not the same thing as saying "the Obamas' egos cost Chicago the Olympics."
    She said that she didn't like their speeches. But you need to define what "this" refers to because it clearly doesn't refer to their speeches when she mentions "ego slap."

... this all depends on what your definition of 'is' is.. also, i didn't inhale.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

1996 was the best for me, the U.S. Gymnastics team won the Gold!

Kerri Strug is a changeling.

The President takes a trip on behalf of the US and automatically it's related to his ego? When he calls on other countries and their leaders is that ego related too then? Or if he signs condolence letters or does any other kind of ceremonial duty? He was ASKED by the Chicago bid committee to go on their behalf, so I still don't get where his doing something at someone else's request in a circumstance where the US may benefit suddenly becomes all about his ego.

I saw your comment on Oprah.
    I find it amazing that you know Obama well enough to say that he "thought" he could "have the power to sway the IOC just by sheer will." Do you think King Carlos of Spain thought he had the power to "sway the IOC just by sheer will?" Or the prime minister of Japan? They both went and lost.
    So, now I said that I knew Obama well enough to know what he thinks? I would ask you to point out where I said that, but we both you know that it's a figment of your imagination.

And I find it amazing that you think that you know me well enough to say that I was blaming Obama for something despite the fact that I never actually said it.

Really? She may not have used the word "IOC" but how is saying "I think this was more of an ego slap" NOT saying "that the IOC rejected Chicago because of Obama's ego" when in the next sentence she says, "The Obama's rolled in there as the President and First Lady with an attitude like they had already been anointed to host the Olympics"? How is "this" [Chicago's loss] an "ego slap" if the IOC isn't rejecting Obama because of his "ego?"
    She said that she didn't like their speeches. But you need to define what "this" refers to because it clearly doesn't refer to their speeches when she mentions "ego slap."
    Fluffy, I'm done with this until you can provide PROOF that I was blaming Obama for the Olympic failure. And, once again, by PROOF I mean the actual posts where I blamed Obama for the Olympic failure. Okay? Not your personal 'read between the lines' interpretation of what you THINK my posts were saying.

And if you want to know what Cali meant, then take it up with her. I know that I didn't read her post the same way you read it.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information