Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Victory: Chicago loses the Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I'm not worried about that. Unless he turns into Jimmy Carter, or worse David Dinkins, then he should be okay.

OMG, no, please, not Jimmy...that would mean that Obama would take his cues on foreign policy from Sasha and Malia. Jimmy's a great humanitarian, but he was a lousy president.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    What utter bullshit. As I noted in another thread, all the other countries had their heads of government & state travel to Copenhagen on behalf of their bids. The Prime Minister of Japan went even though Tokyo, like Chicago, was not overwhelmingly in support of hosting the Olympics. The President of Brazil was there for two days. King Carlos of Spain went on behalf of Madrid.

This "blame Obama" meme regarding Chicago's Olympic loss is ridiculous, particularly the claims of "egoism." Having watched many Olympic presentations prior to final round for the 2016 Summer Games, there wasn't anything oft-putting by the Obamas' speeches. They were the only interesting thing in Chicago's final presentation. Chicago had no overriding concept about their hosting the games. Giving the Obamas something to talk about other than their experiences is the Chicago bid committee's responsibility. The Obama speeches were clearly written last minute. It's what I noticed when they were speaking. Chicago had a lot going against it aside from Chicago public opinion like Vancouver hosting the 2010 Winter Olympics. The IOC purposely tries to not have games close together geographically. It's the reason why Salt Lake City lost their bid to Nagano for the 1998 Olympics in the final round. With the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, it would be unfair for one country (or continent) to host back-to-back games. It's the same reason South Korea lost to Canada for the 2010 Winter Olympics.

The IOC doesn't fucking care about US politics like some people like to state. They have their own reasons for why they award games to certain countries. Anyone saying it was "an ego slap" doesn't know what they're talking about. I would have been amazed if Chicago had even made it to the final round given how many factors were against them going in.
    Fluffy, I'm not even going to waste my time arguing with you. Just because YOU don't agree with something doesn't automatically make it bullshit.

By the way, the points I made had NOTHING to do with the IOC caring about U.S. politics, and the fact that you even think it does makes your entire rant bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    OMG, no, please, not Jimmy...that would mean that Obama would take his cues on foreign policy from Sasha and Malia. Jimmy's a great humanitarian, but he was a lousy president.

why is any valid criticism of Obama called a fucking "meme"? Put down the pompoms honey, it's getting tired.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Was Jimmy Carter really that bad of a president, or is that an on going myth that people just accept because other people say it?

I know for one, Reagan did not stop the cold war singlehandedly, like many Republicans who worship him like to think he did.

^^I would say go back and read up on Carter's presidency and judge for yourself. But Carter's presidency has never gotten high marks.

Eh, Carter gets blamed for a lot of things that were beyond his control. Basically, the late 70s were a time of huge inflation with an economic downturn - stagflation - and there's not really any monetary or fiscal policy that can remedy that.
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

Economy aside, many things that happened during the Carter era were in his control. He isn't only thought of a disaster domestically, but also on foreign policy.

His support and later abandonment of the Shah helped lead to the Islamic revolution (and the murders and imprisonments of many of the Iranian leftists who had supported overthrowing the shah), his feeble approach to the Iranian hostage crisis, his support of Saddam Hussein, Josef Tito, Nicolae Ceaucescu, Ferdinand Marcos, Zia ul-Haq, Kim Il Sung don't win him any points.

The late Democratic Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan said of Carter: "Unable to distinguish between our friends and our enemies, he has essentially adopted our enemies' view of the world."

Even as late as the 90's he was making disastrous moves in foreign policy, for example: brokering a deal with Kim Il Sung without the blessing of the Clinton administration, although, at the urging of Al Gore Clinton later agreed to adopt Carter's deal. The US ended up providing aid, oil and most shockingly- material for building light water nuclear reactors to the North Koreans in exchange for their abandoning their nuclear weapons program.

There's plenty of information you can read about Carter's presidency, and then you can decide. There's good and bad in his legacy, you can see for yourself.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

witchcurlgirl summed it up better than me.

Chicago torpedoed by anti-U.S. sentiment?

Some Chicago officials say anti-American resentment likely played a role in Chicago's Olympic bid dying in the first round Friday.

President Obama could not undo in one year the resentment against America that President Bush and others built up for years, they said.

"There must be" resentment against America, the Rev. Jesse Jackson said, near the stage where he had hoped to give a victory speech in Daley Center Plaza. "The way we [refused to sign] the Kyoto Treaty, we misled the world into Iraq. The world had a very bad taste in its mouth about us. But there was such a turnaround after last November. The world now feels better about America and about Americans. That's why I thought the president's going was the deal-maker."

State Rep. Susana Mendoza (D-Chicago) said she saw firsthand the resentment against America five years ago when she was in Rio de Janeiro. "I feel in my gut that this vote today was political and mean-spirited," she said.

"I travel a lot. ... I thought we had really turned a corner with the election of President Obama. People are so much more welcoming of Americans now. But this isn't the people of those countries. This is the leaders still living with outdated impressions of Americans."

U.S. Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.) said she was approached by a consul generalat the plaza as they waited for word Friday. "He said ... he was hearing that there wasn't enough time for Barack Obama to dispel the old image. ... But I don't know if that's it."

Presidential press secretary Robert Gibbs rejected the notion that the vote was influenced by the United States' standing: "No, I think you saw both at the U.N. General Assembly, you saw at the G20 last week ... I think virtually every measure of our standing in the world is different than it was just this time last year. So I don't read too much of that into this".

Chicago torpedoed by anti-U.S. sentiment? :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Chicago 2016

What better way for the IOC to express its contempt for Bush’s policies than by humiliating the guy who got elected by repudiating Bush? Of course, Bush was President when Chicago won one of the coveted top spots. Maybe the IOC didn’t realize it at the time.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Fluffy, I'm not even going to waste my time arguing with you. Just because YOU don't agree with something doesn't automatically make it bullshit.

By the way, the points I made had NOTHING to do with the IOC caring about U.S. politics, and the fact that you even think it does makes your entire rant bullshit.
    You clearly forgot to read my post since I quote both you and Cali. It's not always about you.

And just because you didn't cite US politics, doesn't mean other people in this thread aren't.

You clearly forgot to read my post since I quote both you and Cali. It's not always about you.

And just because you didn't cite US politics, doesn't mean other people in this thread aren't.
    You quoted Cali and I together, and then went into a rant in which you didn't say which parts were specifically directed to her and I, which means it was directed at us both.

And that doesn't change the fact that neither Cali or I were making it about U.S. politics in the posts you quoted. Oh, and nice try with your typical condescending/passive aggressive attempt with the 'it's not always about you' line to try and distract from the fact that you were WRONG about what Cali and I were talking about.

You quoted Cali and I together, and then went into a rant in which you didn't say which parts were specifically directed to her and I, which means it was directed at us both.

And that doesn't change the fact that neither Cali or I were making it about U.S. politics in the posts you quoted. Oh, and nice try with your typical condescending/passive aggressive attempt with the 'it's not always about you' line to try and distract from the fact that you were WRONG about what Cali and I were talking about.
    Okay, tell me what was so SPECTACULAR about Chicago's Olympic bid that the IOC just decided to deny them on "political grounds."

Okay, tell me what was so SPECTACULAR about Chicago's Olympic bid that the IOC just decided to deny them on "political grounds."
    And this is why I said it would be a waste of time arguing with you.

Show me the precise quote where I said anything about 'political grounds, Chicago and the IOC.' And don't tell me what others said, point out where I said it, because that's the only way you could justify asking me that question.

And as for Cali, she was talking about what she thought of Obama and Michelle's speeches to the committee. So, neither one of us said anything about Chicago being denied on political grounds in the posts you quoted.

And this is why I said it would be a waste of time arguing with you.

Show me the precise quote where I said anything about 'political grounds, Chicago and the IOC.' And don't tell me what others said, point out where I said it, because that's the only way you could justify asking me that question.
    Oh noes, I didn't cite every reason previously stated for Chicago's loss in this thread... I just cited the most recent one on page three, as inferred in witchcurlgirl's post above. If you actually considered that Chicago lost because their bid sucked, then you wouldn't have gone on talking in multiple posts about Obama's "ego."

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    1980 Winter games, Lake Placid New York was THE best!!!
    Maybe it was just me but Lake Placid didn't do it for me re: standing out and making it memorable in my mind. But then again that was just me.
    YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT
    (M. Jagger/K. Richards)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information