Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Victory: Chicago loses the Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Ain't that the truth.
    Okay, she can influence the sale of a book, a new trend or the success of a movie, but we're certainly not entitled to her POV all the time, are we? I have to wonder how much thought she put into this before ham-fisting her way in front of the IOC board.

I always thought it was a good thing that Michelle was too critical of him when it came to his ego. She knows him better than anybody else.
    I have to admit that I thought it was unnecessary for her to talk about his bad breath and stuff like that in the press when he first announced that he was running.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Okay, she can influence the sale of a book, a new trend or the success of a movie, but we're certainly not entitled to her POV all the time, are we? I have to wonder how much thought she put into this before ham-fisting her way in front of the IOC board.
    Even though I can't stand Oprah I give her all of the credit in the world for everything she's achieved. But, with that said, you're completely right. I think Oprah bought into all of the 'she anointed Obama as president' talk and it sent her into overdrive.

I have to admit that I thought it was unnecessary for her to talk about his bad breath and stuff like that in the press when he first announced that he was running.
    I never heard about the 'bad breath' thing. Yeah, that's over the line. Funny, but over the line.

Thank goodness, why should these games always go to the U.S., lol.

Make it something different fer crying out loud.

Rio, the land of favelas, gangs, and state police terrorism.

Yay.

Even though I can't stand Oprah I give her all of the credit in the world for everything she's achieved. But, with that said, you're completely right. I think Oprah bought into all of the 'she anointed Obama as president' talk and it sent her into overdrive.
    Oprah is brilliant, brave, ballsy and savvy. But she can also be cunning, manipulative, and somewhat egomaniacal. She and Maya Angelou's BFFship suffered 'cause Maya supported Hillary and not Barack. I think they are friends again, now, but they were not speaking for a while. There were some BI's on The Panache Report alluding to this.

I never heard about the 'bad breath' thing. Yeah, that's over the line. Funny, but over the line.
    I think it was her way of trying to humanize him (see here). She also made comments about him NOT being able to walk on water. So maybe she is trying to keep him humble. But Michelle has never given me the warm fuzzies either, although I do admire her.

Oprah is brilliant, brave, ballsy and savvy. But she can also be cunning, manipulative, and somewhat egomaniacal. She and Maya Angelou's BFFship suffered 'cause Maya supported Hillary and not Barack. I think they are friends again, now, but they were not speaking for a while. There were some BI's on The Panache Report alluding to this.
    Yeah, I think I remember hearing about that Oprah/Maya issue.

I think it was her way of trying to humanize him (see here). She also made comments about him NOT being able to walk on water. So maybe she is trying to keep him humble. But Michelle has never given me the warm fuzzies either, although I do admire her.
    Thanks for that link. That was a good read.

Yeah, Michelle's not the warm, fuzzy type, and that's what I like about her. She's not an ice queen like Hillary or a stepford wife like Laura Bush. She falls somewhere in the middle, but you know she doesn't take shit off of anybody. And Obama needs Michelle to keep his ego from getting too out of control.

I'm starting to fear he won't serve a second term.

If I am correct to the best of my recall the olympics has never really been all that successful when it was in the us. I am thinking of Ga, and NY. Were the games played anywhere else in the u.s.? I may be forgetting somewhere.
    YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT
    (M. Jagger/K. Richards)

Quote Originally Posted by viggofan View Post
    If I am correct to the best of my recall the olympics has never really been all that successful when it was in the us. I am thinking of Ga, and NY. Were the games played anywhere else in the u.s.? I may be forgetting somewhere.
    Utah!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    I listened to their speeches at the Olympic committee and it really struck me as presumptuous. I love Obama and Michelle but their speeches very much gave me the impression that they thought it was in the bag. Instead of saying things like 'we'd be honored to host' and 'if chosen', they kept saying 'when' and 'it will be great' etc. Granted, I haven't listened to many of these Olypmic pitch speeches, but it also struck me that they didn't say anything practical: they hardly mentioned WHY Chicago made sense, what the big selling points were, what made the city unique and special, etc. Instead, their speeches were more about the Obamas, and their love of Chicago.

I think this was more of an ego slap than anything. The Obama's rolled in there as the President and First Lady with an attitude like they had already been anointed to host the Olympics. Like I said, I think very highly of them but even I, after listening to their speeches, was thinking 'Man, I hope they cut them down to size and don't pick Chicago.' It pains me to say that, but yeah.
    Normally, I'd be on Obama's side against any Rush criticism. But, in this case, Obama brought the 'ego has landed' comment from Rush on himself. The right-wing would've bitched even if he hadn't gone, but by going and not getting the Olympics he made himself the easy target of their jokes.

Both he and Oprah thought that they could have the power to sway the IOC just by sheer will of who they were.
    And they both ended up with egg on their face, not just on a national level, but a GLOBAL level. So, it was a much-needed gut- punch to the ego.

Now, Obama has talked about his ego being a problem, and I don't think he has an out of control ego like Oprah. But I think sometimes his ego gets in the way of common sense. I've noticed that since the primaries.

A few things:

1) When he was leading Hillary in the polls in N.H. he let himself get cocky and slack off, and then Hillary won the primary.

2) When the Reverand Wright controversy broke, rather than just cut Wright off immediately, he thought he could get away with maintaining ties. But that blew up on him.

3) After the Democratic convention, he was riding high in the polls and he slacked off and McCain was able to come and knock the wind out of his sails last summer.

4) After the election, he got cocky at the press conference and made that dumb joke about Nancy Reagan and seances.

5) With both the stimulus and healthcare, he thought that he could just sit on the sidelines and let Congress fight it out because he was popular and didn't have to get his hands dirty. It was the same with constantly appealing to Republicans, because he felt he had the power to sway them because he's Obama.

6) Thinking he could tell Gov. Patterson of N.Y. not to run for re-election.

7) This fiasco with the Olympics.
    What utter bullshit. As I noted in another thread, all the other countries had their heads of government & state travel to Copenhagen on behalf of their bids. The Prime Minister of Japan went even though Tokyo, like Chicago, was not overwhelmingly in support of hosting the Olympics. The President of Brazil was there for two days. King Carlos of Spain went on behalf of Madrid.

This "blame Obama" meme regarding Chicago's Olympic loss is ridiculous, particularly the claims of "egoism." Having watched many Olympic presentations prior to final round for the 2016 Summer Games, there wasn't anything oft-putting by the Obamas' speeches. They were the only interesting thing in Chicago's final presentation. Chicago had no overriding concept about their hosting the games. Giving the Obamas something to talk about other than their experiences is the Chicago bid committee's responsibility. The Obama speeches were clearly written last minute. It's what I noticed when they were speaking. Chicago had a lot going against it aside from Chicago public opinion like Vancouver hosting the 2010 Winter Olympics. The IOC purposely tries to not have games close together geographically. It's the reason why Salt Lake City lost their bid to Nagano for the 1998 Olympics in the final round. With the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, it would be unfair for one country (or continent) to host back-to-back games. It's the same reason South Korea lost to Canada for the 2010 Winter Olympics.

The IOC doesn't fucking care about US politics like some people like to state. They have their own reasons for why they award games to certain countries. Anyone saying it was "an ego slap" doesn't know what they're talking about. I would have been amazed if Chicago had even made it to the final round given how many factors were against them going in.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Utah!
    Thank you.
    YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT
    (M. Jagger/K. Richards)

I'm starting to fear he won't serve a second term.
    I'm not worried about that. Unless he turns into Jimmy Carter, or worse David Dinkins, then he should be okay.

The Olympics wasn't going to be held in any city of America anyway.

Elite Member

1) When he was leading Hillary in the polls in N.H. he let himself get cocky and slack off, and then Hillary won the primary.

2) When the Reverand Wright controversy broke, rather than just cut Wright off immediately, he thought he could get away with maintaining ties. But that blew up on him.

3) After the Democratic convention, he was riding high in the polls and he slacked off and McCain was able to come and knock the wind out of his sails last summer.

4) After the election, he got cocky at the press conference and made that dumb joke about Nancy Reagan and seances.

5) With both the stimulus and healthcare, he thought that he could just sit on the sidelines and let Congress fight it out because he was popular and didn't have to get his hands dirty. It was the same with constantly appealing to Republicans, because he felt he had the power to sway them because he's Obama.

6) Thinking he could tell Gov. Patterson of N.Y. not to run for re-election.

7) This fiasco with the Olympics.
    1- yes.

2- I don't think that was arrogance. I think that was Obama's bigger problem (trusting some people too much, in this case, Wright).

3-McCain's lead was bound not to last and was in large part due to the bounce he got picking Palin, who at first glance, looks good for those who don't know how inane she is. I think Obama
    played it smart back then.

4- was stupid.

5- I'm not sure about. I think he played things down when there wasn't much he could do. I don't think the mistakes he made
    were those of arrogance.

6- probably.

7- my guess is that Obama didn't try very hard. I think he felt obligated to go and to put in an appearance, but this wasn't a priority (nor should it have been).

1980 Winter games, Lake Placid New York was THE best!!!
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

The US has hosted the Olympics 8 times, more than any other country: St Louis, Lake Placid (twice), Squaw Valley, Los Angeles (twice), Atlanta, Salt Lake City.

The bright side of the Olympic trip is that Obama did manage to squeeze in a 25 minute meeting with Gen. McChrystal. Their first meeting since June, when McChrystal took command of all American and NATO forces in Afghanistan. They spoke only once after that, in a video conference call in August, until this week, when the general joined a video conference with the president to discuss the situation in Afghanistan.

So at least something important was done.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; October 4th, 2009 at 11:03 AM.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information