Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Like Tree155Likes

Thread: US Government Shutdown Bitch Thread

No, I wouldn't have preferred that. I just don't see a solution in sight and it worries me.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

The only good that has come out of this is that most people, even repugs now view Ted Cruez about the same as Ted Bundy. The Houston Cronicle has publiclically yanked his endorsement and stated (my fav part) former Senator Kay Baily Hutchinson would have been part of the solution but this jerk was part of the problem.
    He shot himself in both feet. He made promises that Sen John McCain states bluntly were impossible.
    May we never hear his name again.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    You would have preferred crashing the world economy? The debt ceiling gets breached when congress authorizes the spending, all the histrionics surrounding this date is when th bill comes due. A big fat waste of time, money and common sense and for nothing, just another downgrade of our borrowing ability.
    And the other thing is that the deficit had been going down. Despite a sluggish economy. See below, which shows through 2012:

And this blog (Calculated Risk: Thoughts on the Budget Deficit) excerpted an analysis from the Wall Street Journal about the deficit as a percent of overall GDP - reducing all the way through 2013:
    In the depths of the most recent recession, the fiscal year that ended Sept. 30, 2009, the deficit was 10.1% of gross domestic product, the value of all the goods and services produced. Since then, the deficit has declined to 9% of GDP in 2010, 8.7% in 2011 and 7.0% in fiscal 2012. Private analysts predict the deficit will be between 5.5% and 6.0% of GDP in fiscal 2013

So, the deficit already was going down through reductions in expenditures, and an increase in revenue (some new taxes, plus a slowly improving economy). There was no need to drive the economy to the edge of a cliff to "fix things". The Government shutdown is projected to have sucked something like $64 billion out of the economy, by the way. The United States has a structural deficit (entitlements related to healthcare), but it is something that can be worked out by cooler heads.

Well the annual deficit has been going down, but that just means were spending less of the more than we're taking in (we're still deficit spending), and we continue to add to the debt. The solution isn't all that complicated, but career politicians don't have the cajones step up to it. Jack up taxes and reduce spending and apply the difference to our debt. Which is why I can never take the republicans seriously with their faux concern about spending because reducing taxes and reducing spending doesn't get to paying off the debt (oh and their the ones that created most of it). They can't get there on the backs of the poor and middle class, just cannot be done. It would hurt a ton for the rich and corporations, but since they've reaped all the rewards over the last 50 years, it's time to payback. Austerity spending is not the answer, in and of itself, but in order to survive in the long term we probably do need to stop thinking of ourselves as the world's police (whether wanted or not). We hold no moral high ground over other countries, he should hold no power over the internal workings of other countries, "American exceptionalism" is possibly one of the most offensive things I've ever heard about - what makes us supposedly exceptional? Is it that we no longer recognize the value of education? That in 35 years we have decimated a middle class? Is it that the average person on the street is a fucking moron or that most people get their news handed to them without any objectivity?
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

US debt as a percentage of GDP - basically how big the debt is as a percentage of the economy - has leveled off under Obama. It would be great if it were smaller. But the two points to note are that it spiked up dramatically leading UP to Obama's first year in office - when the Great Recession hit, tax revenue went into the tank and there were various emergency spending measures to stop the economic freefall. And second, it's not the highest it's ever been. We do need to have a meeting of the minds to get long-term healthcare spending under control more than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    Well the annual deficit has been going down, but that just means were spending less of the more than we're taking in (we're still deficit spending), and we continue to add to the debt. The solution isn't all that complicated, but career politicians don't have the cajones step up to it. Jack up taxes and reduce spending and apply the difference to our debt. Which is why I can never take the republicans seriously with their faux concern about spending because reducing taxes and reducing spending doesn't get to paying off the debt (oh and their the ones that created most of it). They can't get there on the backs of the poor and middle class, just cannot be done. It would hurt a ton for the rich and corporations, but since they've reaped all the rewards over the last 50 years, it's time to payback. Austerity spending is not the answer, in and of itself, but in order to survive in the long term we probably do need to stop thinking of ourselves as the world's police (whether wanted or not). We hold no moral high ground over other countries, he should hold no power over the internal workings of other countries, "American exceptionalism" is possibly one of the most offensive things I've ever heard about - what makes us supposedly exceptional? Is it that we no longer recognize the value of education? That in 35 years we have decimated a middle class? Is it that the average person on the street is a fucking moron or that most people get their news handed to them without any objectivity?

But that is what our govt has done & we are still not out of recession (unlike Germany, etc). Our economists keep looking to the US & saying 'they tried it, it didn't work so they changed' but then our politicians keep selling off nationalised services, Royal Mail is next.....

And that's what they keep saying here, look at the EU, they've been doing austerity for longer and it's not done what they expected...so our Republicans think we should do more of iit. Yea for a complete lack of common sense.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Agreed! All our top companies are not paying tax & the govt is not going after them like it is the middle classes, etc. They owe billions!!!

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Funny, I was just explaining that to the intern last week.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread Information