Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'Ultra Liberal' Barack Obama too conservative for Canada :P

Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post
    ^^Ahem. You seem to have missed the nod to the 2000 election. Do go brush up on that.

As for the 2004 election, the winner of the dem nomination was Bush in blue.

Do you know anything about either of those elections or do you wish to only promote your xenophobia?
    No matter how it happened, he was still given a second term as president
    and I was 13 in 2000, i wasnt paying attention to the news...

That's when it got a little below 50, and then sank from there. Only in the last year has it bottomed out in the 20's-30's.. and STILL 30% think he's just super
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Go to SodaHead

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Sounds like you're in favor of more liberal issues than conservative: universal health care & public financing of elections
    I have long stated I am in the middle somewhere. I despise the republican party. Since I am anti-religion, they see me as the devil anyway, so I would be burned at the stake.

I have always supported universal healthcare. Before I speak on the financing of elections, I would have to research it more. I can admit when I don't have enough information on a subject to make an objective decision.

If this country can fund a frivolous, technically illegal if the Constitution means anything, war based on one man's greed and vengeance, why can we not provide medical care for everyone? I know it can not happen over night, but we can implement policies which can eventually wear away the base of the industries profiting from the medical costs explosion.

There are other policies I have seen in other countries which I know could work here, but aren't even seen as options, because they can not be leeched by the greedy.

While so many have assumed I am a typical southern conservative, the truth is I am not.

Quote Originally Posted by Rica View Post
    No matter how it happened, he was still given a second term as president
    and I was 13 in 2000, i wasnt paying attention to the news...
    Obviously. Or you would know why that election was brought up. I was there and I was paying attention. So, you don't know the history.

Do you even know who ran in 2004? Do you know any of the the information regarding Bush's rise to power? If you don't, then your assertion it doesn't matter how it happened means nothing. It does matter how it happened and if you knew, you would know his rise was suspicious from the beginning.
    Last edited by Tati; January 17th, 2009 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Not really. In the U.S. if you're pro-choice, but more conservative-leaning in some other views, you're considered more liberal than conservative because of that one issue.

And while some countries are more liberal-leaning on certain issues they are more conservative on others. So, while Obama may be considered 'conservative' in some countries he's still going to be 'considered' liberal in others.
    first of all, 'liberalism' outside the US is considered more of an economic ideology than a social one. and in economic terms, obama would be a right-wing classic liberal pretty much anywhere. and in terms of social liberalism, i think in the western world (with the exception of countries like monaco and the vatican and maybe poland and the like), the furthest to the left obama would be is centre.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Obviously. Or you would know why that election was brought up. I was there and I was paying attention. So, you don't know the history.

Do you even know who ran in 2004? Do you know any of the the information regarding Bush's rise to power? If you don't, then your assertion it doesn't matter how it happened means nothing. It does matter how it happened and if you knew, you would know his rise was suspicious from the beginning.
    No I dont know, but I do know who won. If he was really screwing up from 2000, why the hell would anyone vote for him/his party?

You obviously don't know. Just end the sentence right there or add "anything about Bush's history".

He was screwing up in 2000? WTF? If he were elected in 2000, he would have taken office in 2001. Guh. Elected in the even year, take office in the odd? Ring a bell?

That one and one quarter lines just proved you truly don't know what you are talking about. Do you even know whom he followed? Do you know which party preceded him? Do you know who was elected twelve years earlier?

George W. Bush's eight years of terror began at least a decade ago and some would say more than two decades ago. Why? Does he appear to be intelligent enough to actually win the White House fair and square?

That's right, you weren't paying attention. That doesn't mean the information isn't somewhere. I mean, that can't be found, say....on the internet?

I understand some people see Bush as representing every American, which is a mistake and a stereotype, whether you like it or not. The history of his "public service" has led to many questions. Whether he even won in 2000 is still in question. Didn't know that, did you? Get caught up on those finer points before passing judgment on hundreds of millions. Mkay?

You obviously don't know. Just end the sentence right there or add "anything about Bush's history".

He was screwing up in 2000? WTF? If he were elected in 2000, he would have taken office in 2001.

That one and one quarter lines just proved you truly don't know what you are talking about. Do you even know whom he followed? Do you know which party preceded him. Do you know who was elected twelve years earlier?

George W. Bush's eight years of terror began at least a decade ago and some would say more than two decades ago.

That's right, you weren't paying attention. That doesn't mean the information isn't somewhere. I mean, that can't be found, say....on the internet?

I understand some people see Bush as representing every American, which is a mistake and a stereotype, whether you like it or not. The history of his "public service" has led to many questions. Whether he even won in 2000 is still in question. Didn't know that, did you?
    Sorry I'm a little drunk and misread your earlier comment regarding him making mistakes in 2000.

I didnt know there were questions regarding his election in 2000, but how would I? as I said I was 13, and I'm not from America. Maybe I should research into the election, but you seem to have more knowledge on what happened then I do so I will listen to what you say.

It just blows my mind that he was reelected...

Quote Originally Posted by Rica View Post
    Sorry I'm a little drunk and misread your earlier comment regarding him making mistakes in 2000.

I didnt know there were questions regarding his election in 2000, but how would I? as I said I was 13, and I'm not from America. Maybe I should research into the election, but you seem to have more knowledge on what happened then I do so I will listen to what you say.

It just blows my mind that he was reelected...
    That is why many of us are defensive when we, as a whole, are blamed for Bush.

Sorry, I'm tired and hungry. Not drunk, but that sounds like a good idea for the rest of the day. lol

I will give you the short version.

Bush was "elected" in 2000, in a race against Al Gore. The same guy who won the documentary Oscar for the movie "An Inconvenient Truth". There were questions regarding votes in Florida, which Dubya's brother was governor of at the time, the state which would ultimately decide who won, because the race was so close. In 2004, Kerry was his opponent. Sadly, I think even Sarah Palin would have won against him.

Bill Clinton, a Dem/liberal, was the outgoing president 2000. His term was scandal plagued, thanks to his wandering willy. He basically did for the dems what Bush did for the Repubs in the last election...lost it, not by being a warmongering idiot, but a philandering fool.

Bill Clinton was preceded by George H.W. Bush as president. Yes, the father of the hellspawn now known as Dubya. During his term, America was involved in military situations in Panama and, who would have guessed, the Persian Gulf. He had a run-in with a guy named Saddam Hussein. Yes, oil was involved.

George Sr was also Reagan's Vice President.

Wikipedia has some great sources for info on the whole Bush clan and their ties and alliances.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    That's when it got a little below 50, and then sank from there. Only in the last year has it bottomed out in the 20's-30's.. and STILL 30% think he's just super
    At the start of 2007 Bush's approval ratings were in the 30's. That's still well below half of the country thinking he's doing a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    first of all, 'liberalism' outside the US is considered more of an economic ideology than a social one. and in economic terms, obama would be a right-wing classic liberal pretty much anywhere. and in terms of social liberalism, i think in the western world (with the exception of countries like monaco and the vatican and maybe poland and the like), the furthest to the left obama would be is centre.
    The people I know from other countries say that it's both, social and economic.

^^^
    not really. it really doesn't mean the same thing outside of britain and the US. it's definitely not considered a left wing ideology though.

Liberalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Silver Member

"Possibly because the US always refers to itself as No. 1 and the greatest country and the best at everything. Just sayin ... And yes, I am Canadian. And I live in Montreal, perhaps the most open liberal swinging pot smoking gay marriage loving wine drinking city in North America. God, Ilove it here. Even when it's minus one thousand.

No one ever said the US was the center of the Universe. The US isn't asking for the world's attention, so why do so many countries seem to have their noses permanently glued into our business?

Maybe the US isn't too conservative. Maybe other places are just too liberal?

Someone once brought up that Canadian's conservatives are much like your [America's] Democrats, so all disgruntled McCain Republican voters, moving to Canada aren't in your best interests

Quote Originally Posted by pwry View Post
    "Possibly because the US always refers to itself as No. 1 and the greatest country and the best at everything. Just sayin ... And yes, I am Canadian. And I live in Montreal, perhaps the most open liberal swinging pot smoking gay marriage loving wine drinking city in North America. God, Ilove it here. Even when it's minus one thousand.
    The US has celebrity syndrome. Fascination with it has pushed it into fame. While the US held the number one spot in different areas, especially economically, considering California alone at one point garnered about three percent of the World Gross Product, the US isn't the best in every category in every person's opinion. There are some who feel the opposite.

As an American, I can honestly say, I don't have a delusion of grandeur because I am American. I am quite aware of its past. I also will not deny that given the relatively young age of America, as compared to other countries, the country has accomplished much in such a short time. As a society, this country is just now reaching adolescence. There are going to be growing pains.

You like where you live. So do I.

Silver Member

I like visiting your country too. I have never had a bad experience. And the people were always friendly.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information