Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: U.S. illegal immigrants 'self deport' as woes mount

A*O

From what I can see the US immigration authorities make fairly half-hearted efforts to round up and repatriate these illegals precisely because they do all the shitty jobs for tiny wages that nobody else is willing to do. But if the illegals are beginning to feel the economic pinch along with a lot of other people in the US that's too bad.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

You can bet that Bush and his merry band of thieves and mercenaries aren't feeling any pain, tho.

Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar

Well, shit. There goes JLo's fan base.
    Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin

Self deporting when the laws start to tighten up? Hunh. Who knew that could work?
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

I do feel sympathy for them, but the wages they are paid here are ridiculous. Of course no one wants to do them. The jobs they take aren't all "picking" jobs. They work in restaurants and not just as busboys or dishwashers. almost all the cooks are Mexicans who don't speak English. They work at Walmart, Kmart etc. These are jobs many Americans would do if they paid more than $6.00 an hour. Why should people have to live 2 to 3 famlies a home just to get by. We need to pay more for all these jobs and maybe more americans would do them.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Quote Originally Posted by nana55 View Post
    I do feel sympathy for them, but the wages they are paid here are ridiculous. Of course no one wants to do them. The jobs they take aren't all "picking" jobs. They work in restaurants and not just as busboys or dishwashers. almost all the cooks are Mexicans who don't speak English. They work at Walmart, Kmart etc. These are jobs many Americans would do if they paid more than $6.00 an hour. Why should people have to live 2 to 3 famlies a home just to get by. We need to pay more for all these jobs and maybe more americans would do them.
    Yeah, I agree with you that we do need to raise the wages in this country so that working class families can get by better. But one of the reasons why the wages aren't being raised is because you have so many illegals who are willing to work for low wages, and they know they can't make a big stink about it because they are illegal.

And some of these businesses like Wal-Mart and others are already used to paying sweat shop wages in Third World countries where they manufacture a lot of their goods anyway, so they don't have a problem paying the low wages. And one of the reasons why the government isn't forcing these companies to pay higher wages is because they tend to depend on those companies for campaign contributions, and the companies depend on the government for hefty tax breaks. So, it's one big cycle.

Gold Member

I don't consider $9 an hour picking fruit to be a shitty wage. The most I've ever made was $9 an hour. $14 an hour as a construction laborer? Try $7 an hour. I'm sorry but I don't see how I should feel sorry for someone sneaking into this country and demanding accommodation. If I decide to go elsewhere for a new life, I'm going to do it the right way and damn it, this pisses me off to no end but I would also learn the language. I am so tired of having to mime my way through stores and restaurants. As far as I'm concerned, if you work anywhere that you have contact with the public then you had better be able to carry on a conversation.

If you want to come to America, fine, come here to be a citizen but damn it don't try and make this the new Mexico. I'm in Maryland and between the McDonalds, Home Depot, Chick-Fil-A and Sale Barn, it's a little hard to tell where I am these days.
    Snooky Wookums, prepare for the invasion!

A*O

Australia has much tighter immigration laws anyway, but we have the natural advantage of being an island with no land borders so illegals have to come by boat or fly in. Most are apprehended and locked up until they are processed as refugees OR they are put straight on the next plane home. No arguments. The same applies for people who come here with incorrect visas or who come on tourist/student visas and then work. The liberal civil liberties bleeding hearts whinge about it but that's how it is.

You can become an Australian citizen after you've lived here for 3 years as a legal, permanent resident. In Oct 07 the Govt introduced a written test for people wishing to become citizens that covers things like basic Australian history, culture, values, way of life etc. There are complaints that the test is too hard or 'irrelevant' but I suspect it's a way of determining people's ability to read and speak English. As an English speaker from the cradle then obviously I didn't have to learn the language when we came here, but I do think that if you go to all the trouble of migrating to another country, legally or illegally, then you should be able to speak the bloody language.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Does the author of this article expect us to feel sorry for them? They came over here expecting a free ride with zero consequences for sneaking in illegally, and now that they've realized that isn't going to be the case, they're bitching and moaning about how victimized and unwelcome they feel. Whatever.

I don't feel sorry for illegals and I don't want to hear their excuses or their bitching and complaining about how the country that they snuck into illegally and the tax paying citizens that they're bleeding dry aren't doing enough to accommodate them.

Well, that oughta save the citizens tax dollars. It costs muchos dinieros to deport illegals. If they walk back themselves...problem solved, adios!
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

Friday, i went to Social Security to get my paperwork for permanent disability, and there was a line out the door of hispanic people. and before you get pissed about me jumping to conclusions, almost ALL of the cars in the parking lot had baja plates......
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Don't let the door hit ya in the ass on your way out.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I suppose having grown up right on the Texas-Mexico border, it's hard for me to make a definitive judgement on the whole immigration issue.

Having said that, there are certain things I do feel strongly about.

I think the methods these people are using to try and make their living situations better are wrong. I don't agree with them sneaking across our borders, cheating the system, while millions of other immigrants have to go through the lengthy and complicated process of gaining citizenship. I saw it a lot growing up. I had housekeepers that were illegal. My mom knew it, I knew it, everyone knew it... it just went unsaid. Now that I'm older, I dont think I necessarily agree with the fact that we employed illegal immigrants continuously for the past 18 years, but at the same time I do feel sympathy for them.

The process one must go through to gain American citizenship is ridiculous. To be naturalized you have to have had resided here for three to five years. How does the government expect that to happen when these immigrants are here illegally? It's almost like they make the process futile... dangling the carrot at the end of a stick that they won't even get to because their means of getting to it are illegal. If they go the green card route, that itself could take as long as five years. You have to be a person of "good moral character." Wait a minute, since when is it the governments job to judge us based on our character when we haven't committed a crime? Consider this situation: a man immigrates from Mexico, applies for his green card, waits for the required amount of time, gets his green card, applies for citizenship after the required time, and then his character is judged. I may be a bit confused, but how does one judge morality? It seems ludicrous. Then there's the history and government tests. I see the sense in wanting to instill a proper knowledge of the history and innerworkings of this country, but some of the stuff on this test is stuff I wouldn't expect my next door neighbor to be able to answer. Does citizenship really depend on whether or not I know that Patrick Henry said "Give me liberty or give me death?"

Then, consider the fact that these immigrants really are supporting our economy, illegally or not. You have the illegal workers on the one hand, taking the jobs no one else wants to touch and getting paid far below minimum wage. And, on the other hand, you have the green card holders and the ones with newly-acquired citizenship.. they're willing to take any job as well-- jobs I'd be hard pressed to find a person willing to take.

While I must admit the whole issue is very hard to judge, I think the entire situation is hypocritical. If the government really got what it wanted, I agree with PB, the economy would collapse. That one day a few years ago when all the immigrants stopped working to protest.. people went crazy. I saw places shut down, owners going crazy-- millions and millions of dollars were lost that day.

And, another thing, living on the border I see a lot of maquilladoras.. Mexican-based manufacturing plants and such. Many American businesses thrive on this labor. They exploit the hell out of the workers-- it's criminal.

I know I've said stuff and backpedaled over and over again, but it really is hard for me to make a decision on this issue. Growing up so close to it, I can't say "Fuck all the Maria and Juans, they should go back to eating tacos in Mexico." I do think their methods are wrong, but they shouldnt be punished for what they're trying to achieve.. especially when the government makes it so hard for them to do it the right way.

Just my opinion

^^ yeah, Dog help us if illegals demanded equal work for equal pay...the fat cats on top might actually have to SHARE their wealth!
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Don't let the door hit ya in the ass on your way out.
    Ditto. Mi casa is not su casa.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information