View Poll Results: When push comes to shove will Ivanka stand with her husband or dad?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Daddy dearest

37 72.55%
  • Weasel boy

14 27.45%
Page 88 of 115 FirstFirst ... 387884858687888990919298 ... LastLast
Results 1,306 to 1,320 of 1722
Like Tree4352Likes

Thread: Tremendous people. All the best people. The general politics thread.

This is how the Mueller investigation will end.

WHITE HOUSE
    The man who could fire Mueller

If Trump fires Rod Rosenstein, next in line to be Robert Mueller's boss is Solicitor General Noel Francisco—who is no fan of James Comey or the FBI.

By JOSH MEYER
    04/17/2018 05:00 AM EDT

Democrats hold concerns about Noel Francisco’s political independence and whether he might obey an order to either sack the special counsel or constrain his investigation.

By JACK SHAFER
    Donald Trump probably can’t fire special counsel Robert Mueller himself. So if he wants to end or limit Mueller’s Russia probe, he’ll need to find someone who will.

He may have his man in Solicitor General Noel Francisco, a little-known Trump appointee who happens to have an ax to grind against the FBI — and who could become Mueller’s boss through one angry presidential impulse.

Francisco even has a specific grudge against former FBI Director James Comey, whom — much like Trump — he has accused of partisan bias. That has compounded prior concerns among Democrats about Francisco’s political independence and whether he might obey an order to either sack Mueller or constrain his investigation.

“I don’t think we know enough to be confident,” said Eric Columbus, a former senior Obama Justice Department official. “I doubt he would fire Mueller but could limit him, which has always been the greater concern."

Most legal experts believe Trump lacks the constitutional power to fire Mueller, who reports to the Justice Department. With Attorney General Jeff Sessions recused from the Russia probe, Mueller’s supervisor is Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, who has told Congress he would fire Mueller only for clear misconduct. Rosenstein has also granted Mueller wide latitude to pursue his investigation — infuriating Trump, who is reportedly considering Rosenstein's ouster.

Under Justice Department rules, Rosenstein’s successor should be the department's third-ranking official, the associate attorney general. But the last occupant of that job, Rachel Brand, departed in February and has not been replaced.

Next in line is Francisco, 48, a former George W. Bush White House and Justice Department lawyer whom Trump last year named to be U.S. solicitor general, representing his administration and the U.S. government before the Supreme Court.

He would not be the first U.S. solicitor general placed in such a high-pressure position. The Watergate scandal’s 1973 “Saturday Night Massacre” culminated in the firing of special counsel Archibald Cox by President Richard Nixon’s solicitor general, Robert Bork, after Nixon sacked the two Justice Department officials above Bork for refusing to follow his order.

And while Francisco’s views of the Russia probe are not publicly known, as a private lawyer in 2016, he accused Comey’s FBI of overreaching in high-profile political investigations and overstepping its investigative authority — arguments similar to those voiced by Mueller’s conservative critics.

Then a lawyer at the Washington firm of Jones Day, Francisco successfully argued that the Supreme Court should throw out the corruption conviction of his client, former Virginia Republican Gov. Bob McDonnell. He argued that McDonnell had not taken any official action on behalf of a businessman who lavished him with gifts, and that corruption laws were “not meant to be comprehensive codes of ethical conduct.”

Writing a unanimous opinion for the court, Chief Justice John Roberts agreed that the government adopted an overly broad definition of corruption and imposed higher standards for the prosecution of public officials.

A month before the 2016 election, Francisco co-wrote a Wall Street Journal op-ed railing against the FBI, which he accused of using “ambush interviews” and other “heavy-handed” tactics to find whatever it could against McDonnell. Writing with a fellow Jones Day lawyer, he also zeroed in on Comey personally, suggesting that the FBI chief had used “kid gloves” in a successful effort to whitewash its investigation into possible criminal violations by President Barack Obama’s secretary of state, Hillary Clinton.

In Clinton’s case, they said, the FBI immunized only witnesses who could help deliver convictions, failed to investigate and charge all potential crimes and only construed “corruption” broadly when it came to McDonnell, and not Clinton.

Those past positions raise the question of whether Francisco might consider Mueller’s Russia probe another example of prosecutorial overreach, and whether he might share the view of Trump loyalists that Comey helped to launch the FBI’s Russia investigation for supposed partisan reasons.

The son of a Filipino immigrant father, Francisco was raised in Oswego, New York, got a bachelor‘s and law degree from the University of Chicago and then clerked for Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia. Bush tapped him for his 2000 Florida election recount team, then as associate legal counsel in his White House and as deputy assistant attorney general. In 2005, he joined Jones Day, which has sent several lawyers into senior Trump posts, including White House Counsel Don McGahn.

Francisco’s allies call him mild-mannered, studious and principled and say he would judge any requests from Trump on their proper legal merits.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...general-526859

I said it before, but Hillary didn't set up that dopey server. A State Department employee did. He is the one who created the architecture that allowed classified messages to go to an unclassified server. He was also the one who needed immunity for his testimony.
    Brookie and louiswinthorpe111 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I said it before, but Hillary didn't set up that dopey server. A State Department employee did. He is the one who created the architecture that allowed classified messages to go to an unclassified server. He was also the one who needed immunity for his testimony.
    Kushner and Ivanka are using a private email server while in the WH. Not a peep about that.
    C_is_for_Cookie and travelbug like this.

The guy Stormy Daniels claims threatened her. Guesses on Twitter include Tom Brady, Willem Dafoe, The Mooch, and Sean Hannity.
    Trixie and C_is_for_Cookie like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by ShimmeringGlow View Post
    Kushner and Ivanka are using a private email server while in the WH. Not a peep about that.
    Who can keep track of all of it???
    Brookie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Who can keep track of all of it???
    I just read that Pruitt upgraded his official vehicle for one with bullet resistant seat covers. He also manufactures events close to OK so he can go home for a visit. The corruption is widespread and deep.
    Brookie and Nevan like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    The guy Stormy Daniels claims threatened her. Guesses on Twitter include Tom Brady, Willem Dafoe, The Mooch, and Sean Hannity.
    My first thought was Dexter (Michael C. Hall) and I see on google that one has been guessed too!
    C_is_for_Cookie and gas_chick like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Willem DaFoe maybe 30 years ago!
    C_is_for_Cookie likes this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post

The Mooch is tiny, so it can't be him. I think the drawing is kind of attractive, and none of the guesses are.......
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

A general corruption and stupidity post.....

Jake Tapper@jaketapper
    @Comey to French BFM TV: “The danger with President Trump is all of us will just become numb to this and accept it, and we can’t. ...he was lawfully elected President of the United States but that doesn’t mean we have to accept behavior that degrades our values.”

Since becoming lnterior Secretary, Ryan Zinke has suggested that he was a geologist or former geologist at least 40 times in public settings, including many under oath before Congress.Zinke, however, has never held a job as a geologist.

Daniel Dale@ddale8

Per pool, Trump again took credit for the success of the Olympics (by supposedly getting N. Korea to participate): "They’ve been very generous that without us and without me in particular, I guess, they wouldn’t be discussing anything and the Olympics would have been a failure

Trump keeps exaggerating what Moon actually said, which was that Trump was a "very important factor" in the success of the Olympics and the renewed negotiations. Moon has not said that without Trump the Olympics would have failed.

Trump’s trade rep spends $1M on new furniture, blames Obama

By Marisa Schultz

April 17, 2018 | 1:50pm | Updated

Modal Trigger
    Robert LighthizerGetty Images

WASHINGTON – President Trump’s Trade Representative is spending nearly $1 million on new furniture — and blaming the Obama Administration.

US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer spent more than $917,000 to furnish the two trade offices near the White House, according to contracts reviewed by The Post.

That’s a significant increase compared to the last two trade reps.

Ron Kirk, President Obama’s first trade ambassador, spent $237,000 on office furniture during the first 15 months of his term.

His successor, Ambassador Michael Froman, spent $151,000 during a comparable time span, records show.

When asked about the spending spree, Lighthizer’s office pointed the finger at the Obama Administration.

“The furniture purchases are the culmination of a longtime, planned project that began under the Obama Administration to replace two-decade-old furniture,” Lighthizer’s office said in a statement.

They said they’re just sticking to the plan set in motion under Obama.

“The project to upgrade offices has been going on since 2014,” the trade office said.

But Obama-era reps say they didn’t sign off on any major remodeling plans.

One former aide said it’s “laughable” the Trump Administration would try to pin this on Obama, seeing that it managed to pull out of the major Trans-Pacific Partnership trade pact on Week 1 of his presidency.

“We told 11 other countries that we were going to do a trade deal with them, and the Trump Administration found the power to unwind that,” the Obama trade official told The Post. “So furniture purchases cannot be as binding as a trade agreement that the President of the United States signed.”

“It’s just laughable,” the official added.

In the last 15 months, the two Washington trade offices — the Winder Building and nearby annex at 1724 F St. NW — have 60 sit-stand desks at a cost of $18,500; moveable wooden wall systems that cost $290,000 and 90 Herman Miller Aeron office chairs billed at $54,000.

The biggest bill was some $475,000 to Executive Furniture of Washington DC, which specializes in rich wood finished desks and high-grade furniture fit for bosses.

That executive furniture went to various trade offices, like the General Counsel and offices specializing in World Trade Organization affairs, Southeast Asia and Agricultural affairs.

Two of the furniture contractors contacted by The Post said the trade offices were in need of upgrades and plans were in the works prior to President Trump taking office.

“They’re doing their best to give it a good makeover,” Nady Samnang, chairman and CEO of Omnifics, told the Post.

Another contractor who supplied the Herman Miller office chairs said the contract is brand new and she’s grateful for the business.

“They just put that in place and we are very thankful they did that,” said Donna Long, president of GovSolutions Inc. “They are supporting small business, so we appreciate that as well. This gives us an opportunity to provide those chairs over the next several years whenever they need them.”

The nearly $1 million furniture tab is for a relatively small corner of government with just 270 employees in Washington.

Lighthizer spent $5,189 on upgrades for his own office, including a $3,500 antique desk, $859 for a 30-inch “Executive Office of the President” plaque and $830 to transport and install two paintings on loan from the Smithsonian.

Some department heads forgo new furniture entirely.

Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue spent a little over $16,000 to have old US Department of Agriculture office furniture refurbished by inmates, according to a Maryland Correctional Enterprises spokesman.

Scott Amey, general counsel at the Project on Government Oversight, a nonpartisan government watchdog group, said the purchases raise “concerns,” especially since Trump campaigned on running Washington differently.

“Just because you can spend $31,000 on a (dining) table or close to a million dollars on a remodel, there should be some people asking the question: Is this the best way to utilize taxpayer dollars?” Amey told the Post.

https://nypost.com/2018/04/17/trumps-trade-rep-spends-1m-on-new-furniture-blames-obama/
    Nevan likes this.

Pruitt has also been called out by GAO and said the addition of a Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility (SCIF) ... which is basically a soundproof booth on steroids .... at a cost of $43K was a violation of law. Mind you, there is another SCIF in the EPA building, but he wanted one in his office. WHAT THE FUCK kind of classified shit does this guy really do that requires this much security?? 24/7 multiple security guards, bulletproof cars, biometric locks, and a $3K sweep of his office for spy/bug technology. Does he think he's the president? Does the secretary of state even have all this shit (which I would understand)?

My list for people I'm foaming at the mouth to go down:

1-) Trump, obviously
    2-) Jared ... how the fuck is he doing all this miracle work in the Middle East (and all the other shit he's been tasked to) without a security clearance? He's dirty and scummy and I am so positive he's conducting personal business for his billionaire family company while acting as a senior advisor to POTUS.
    4-) Pruitt ... this guy is out of control and thinks way too much of himself. He has spent so much taxpayer $$$$ for shit to validate his ego.
    5-) Sanders ... so patronizing and passive aggressive. She's made quite a few blunders over the past few weeks that I think Trump might be looking to replace her.
    6-) Ivanka ... tone deaf bitch who knows virtually NOTHING about government.
    7-) Cohen ... fight dirty, and now you have to defend your dirty deeds.
    8-) Paul Ryan ... this guy has skeletons in his closet.
    and a bonus ... Hannity. He's gotten himself in a world of shit and I've read that Fox is very nervous about this whole implosion surrounding him. I hope he gets canned. Hypocritical POS.

I'm ready to march if Rosenstein gets fired.
    ShimmeringGlow and Mivvi21 like this.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Trump isn’t even accurate in his history of Mar-a-Lago, which he claims was “originally built as the southern White House.”

It was originally built, in 1927, as a cereal heiress socialite’s house. She donated it to the US as a possible “winter White House” 46 years later. https://t.co/MkbOz9YJ3K

Marjorie Merriweather Post, whose third husband was the ambassador to the Soviet Union. #trivia

The trump Org logo is actually a Coat Of Arms granted to this same husband. Trump stole it and acts like it's his own family's COA
    Nevan and witchcurlgirl like this.

A general corruption and stupidity post.....

Jake Tapper@jaketapper
    @Comey to French BFM TV: “The danger with President Trump is all of us will just become numb to this and accept it, and we can’t. ...he was lawfully elected President of the United States but that doesn’t mean we have to accept behavior that degrades our values.”

Since becoming lnterior Secretary, Ryan Zinke has suggested that he was a geologist or former geologist at least 40 times in public settings, including many under oath before Congress.Zinke, however, has never held a job as a geologist.

Daniel Dale@ddale8

Per pool, Trump again took credit for the success of the Olympics (by supposedly getting N. Korea to participate): "They’ve been very generous that without us and without me in particular, I guess, they wouldn’t be discussing anything and the Olympics would have been a failure

Trump keeps exaggerating what Moon actually said, which was that Trump was a "very important factor" in the success of the Olympics and the renewed negotiations. Moon has not said that without Trump the Olympics would have failed.

Trump’s trade rep spends $1M on new furniture, blames Obama

By Marisa Schultz

April 17, 2018 | 1:50pm | Updated

Modal Trigger
    Robert LighthizerGetty Images

WASHINGTON – President Trump’s Trade Representative is spending nearly $1 million on new furniture — and blaming the Obama Administration.

US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer spent more than $917,000 to furnish the two trade offices near the White House, according to contracts reviewed by The Post.

That’s a significant increase compared to the last two trade reps.

Ron Kirk, President Obama’s first trade ambassador, spent $237,000 on office furniture during the first 15 months of his term.

His successor, Ambassador Michael Froman, spent $151,000 during a comparable time span, records show.

When asked about the spending spree, Lighthizer’s office pointed the finger at the Obama Administration.

“The furniture purchases are the culmination of a longtime, planned project that began under the Obama Administration to replace two-decade-old furniture,” Lighthizer’s office said in a statement.

They said they’re just sticking to the plan set in motion under Obama.

“The project to upgrade offices has been going on since 2014,” the trade office said.

But Obama-era reps say they didn’t sign off on any major remodeling plans.

One former aide said it’s “laughable” the Trump Administration would try to pin this on Obama, seeing that it managed to pull out of the major Trans-Pacific Partnership trade pact on Week 1 of his presidency.

“We told 11 other countries that we were going to do a trade deal with them, and the Trump Administration found the power to unwind that,” the Obama trade official told The Post. “So furniture purchases cannot be as binding as a trade agreement that the President of the United States signed.”

“It’s just laughable,” the official added.

In the last 15 months, the two Washington trade offices — the Winder Building and nearby annex at 1724 F St. NW — have 60 sit-stand desks at a cost of $18,500; moveable wooden wall systems that cost $290,000 and 90 Herman Miller Aeron office chairs billed at $54,000.

The biggest bill was some $475,000 to Executive Furniture of Washington DC, which specializes in rich wood finished desks and high-grade furniture fit for bosses.

That executive furniture went to various trade offices, like the General Counsel and offices specializing in World Trade Organization affairs, Southeast Asia and Agricultural affairs.

Two of the furniture contractors contacted by The Post said the trade offices were in need of upgrades and plans were in the works prior to President Trump taking office.

“They’re doing their best to give it a good makeover,” Nady Samnang, chairman and CEO of Omnifics, told the Post.

Another contractor who supplied the Herman Miller office chairs said the contract is brand new and she’s grateful for the business.

“They just put that in place and we are very thankful they did that,” said Donna Long, president of GovSolutions Inc. “They are supporting small business, so we appreciate that as well. This gives us an opportunity to provide those chairs over the next several years whenever they need them.”

The nearly $1 million furniture tab is for a relatively small corner of government with just 270 employees in Washington.

Lighthizer spent $5,189 on upgrades for his own office, including a $3,500 antique desk, $859 for a 30-inch “Executive Office of the President” plaque and $830 to transport and install two paintings on loan from the Smithsonian.

Some department heads forgo new furniture entirely.

Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue spent a little over $16,000 to have old US Department of Agriculture office furniture refurbished by inmates, according to a Maryland Correctional Enterprises spokesman.

Scott Amey, general counsel at the Project on Government Oversight, a nonpartisan government watchdog group, said the purchases raise “concerns,” especially since Trump campaigned on running Washington differently.

“Just because you can spend $31,000 on a (dining) table or close to a million dollars on a remodel, there should be some people asking the question: Is this the best way to utilize taxpayer dollars?” Amey told the Post.

https://nypost.com/2018/04/17/trumps-trade-rep-spends-1m-on-new-furniture-blames-obama/
    I believe that all secretary offices has a max budget of $5K when renovating an office (and renovating in this instance has an extremely broad definition). Almost every one has went WAAAY over that. And according to the GAO, it's illegal.
    ShimmeringGlow likes this.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Trump isn’t even accurate in his history of Mar-a-Lago, which he claims was “originally built as the southern White House.”

It was originally built, in 1927, as a cereal heiress socialite’s house. She donated it to the US as a possible “winter White House” 46 years later. https://t.co/MkbOz9YJ3K

Marjorie Merriweather Post, whose third husband was the ambassador to the Soviet Union. #trivia

The trump Org logo is actually a Coat Of Arms granted to this same husband. Trump stole it and acts like it's his own family's COA

Fun fact: Marjorie Merriweather Post's daughter is the actress Dina Merrill

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Federal Judge Finalizes $25 million Trump University settlement

Former Trump University students are now eligible for a refund
    by Sarah D. Young

U.S. District Judge Gonzalo Curiel signed off Monday on a $25 million settlement in lawsuits filed by attendees of a real estate seminar called Trump University.

The plaintiffs claimed they had been promised that the courses would provide them with the knowledge they needed to make huge returns in real estate.

However, they said that most of the classes were comprised primarily of sales pitches for additional packages. The students claimed they were defrauded and bilked out of millions of dollars by the program.

New York Attorney General Eric T. Schneiderman said the settlement will give “victims of Donald Trump’s fraudulent university” the relief they deserve.

“We are particularly pleased that the final settlement we negotiated with class counsel ensures that members of the class will receive an even higher settlement than anyone originally anticipated,” Schneiderman said in a statement.

"This settlement marked a stunning reversal by President Trump, who for years refused to compensate the victims of his sham university," he added. "My office won't hesitate to hold those who commit fraud accountable, no matter how rich or powerful they may be."

Former attendees eligible to be paid back

President Trump originally agreed to the settlement in November 2016, days after winning the presidential election. The settlement was approved a year ago by U.S. District Judge Gonzalo Curiel, but it hit a roadblock when a former Trump University student challenged the agreement.

Sherri Simpson filed an objection to the settlement, saying she wanted to file her own lawsuit in hopes of recouping more money and getting then-candidate Trump to apologize.

A federal appeals court rejected Simpson’s challenge, ruling that she did not have the right to opt out of the appeal under the terms of the class-action suit. Judge Curiel approved the settlement once Simpson agreed to drop further appeals.

About 8,000 former Trump U. attendees are eligible for a refund of up to 90 percent of the money they spent on courses.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news...nt-041018.html
    "The wild, cruel beast is not behind the bars of the cage. He is in front of it."...Axel Munthe

Thread Information