Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 23 of 23

Thread: Trapped: It's hard to get a job if your credit is bad

  1. #16
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,250

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Yes, credit is creeping into every aspect of your life. I still don't understand how my credit rating affects my ability to drive or not light my house on fire, but it affects my insurance rates..
    It shouldn't. Congress should revisit the credit bill and severely limit what credit scores can be used for.

  2. #17
    Silver Member albatross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by visitor42 View Post
    It shouldn't. Congress should revisit the credit bill and severely limit what credit scores can be used for.
    Employers do not get your credit score. They get a modified version of your credit report.
    Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket...

  3. #18
    Elite Member Trixie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    exiled and ostrich sized
    Posts
    18,550

    Default

    If you're handling money or have access to company funds, I can see where it might be an issue. I guess they think you'd be more apt to steal to pay your bills. And you might not be bondable. I dunno.

    With the net, I think it's just so much easier these days to get background info on people, so companies figure if they can get away with it, they'll do it.

    But it sucks if having bad credit becomes as bad as having a criminal history when it comes to finding employment. Because of course, the employers won't disclose that's why they didn't hire you, so you'll never have a chance to explain yourself.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~



  4. #19
    Elite Member McJag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    42,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trixiebelle View Post
    If you're handling money or have access to company funds, I can see where it might be an issue. I guess they think you'd be more apt to steal to pay your bills. And you might not be bondable. I dunno.

    With the net, I think it's just so much easier these days to get background info on people, so companies figure if they can get away with it, they'll do it.

    But it sucks if having bad credit becomes as bad as having a criminal history when it comes to finding employment. Because of course, the employers won't disclose that's why they didn't hire you, so you'll never have a chance to explain yourself.
    Most companies are going to take into account you have been looking & might be behind, They don't want to see really bad credit during the years you were gainfully employed.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

  5. #20
    Elite Member Trixie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    exiled and ostrich sized
    Posts
    18,550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Most companies are going to take into account you have been looking & might be behind, They don't want to see really bad credit during the years you were gainfully employed.
    Yes, I understand that but my point is, there could be reasons for bad credit..catastrophic illness of a spouse or child, divorce, addictions, etc. Sure, it could be just plain irresponsibility but maybe not.

    On job applications, you are asked about your criminal history and if you check "yes" you are given an opportunity to explain. Not so with a credit history. Most likely if the prospective employer doesn't like how you look on paper, they won't ask questions, they'll just throw your application in the trash.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~



  6. #21
    Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    you already know.
    Posts
    44,442

    Default

    yeah and if you have a criminal record

  7. #22
    Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Uranus
    Posts
    31,885

    Default

    How long does bad credit last these days? When it was an issue for me I understood it to be wiped out after 7 years. Is it still like that?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

  8. #23
    Silver Member albatross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    How long does bad credit last these days? When it was an issue for me I understood it to be wiped out after 7 years. Is it still like that?
    For most things it is 7 years, but there are exceptions, like bankruptcies can stay for 10 years, judgements in a lawsuit can be affected by a statute of limitations over 7 years, and there are some others.
    Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Firemen dismantle car to rescue trapped cat
    By Honey in forum Pets and Animals
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 6th, 2009, 07:36 AM
  2. Firefighters rescue dog trapped in cement pit
    By Honey in forum Pets and Animals
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 5th, 2009, 07:41 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: November 10th, 2008, 07:46 PM
  4. Dog trapped for two weeks in hole survives
    By Honey in forum Pets and Animals
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 5th, 2008, 11:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •