Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This town hall didn't help John McCain

Elite Member

I was thinking about Obama today and how he is able to identify with the middle class because he still has to work for a living and isn't independently wealthy like McCain. Obama himself is affected by the stock market dive, he probably has his retirement money in there too just like us. He doesn't have a multi-million (billion?) dollar fortune and multiple real estate holdings to fall back on like McCain does as the economy goes south. I am sure Obama makes a good salary in the Senate (a guess around $150,000?) but he lives in Chicago and probably maintains a separate small apartment in D.C. and I don't believe Michelle works anymore, does she? So Obama's family isn't "rich" by any stretch of the imagination. They certainly don't have enough money so that they can brush off rising gas and food prices. So I think Obama does understand what Amercians are going through on a personal level that McCain never can.

Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post
    When McCain implied a young black man would have never heard of Fannie and Freddie, he lost me there. I would have raised from my seat and corrected,"With all due respect, Mr. McCain, as an informed citizen who understands economics and business, and holds a degree in said field, I had heard of them before September and questioned sub-prime lending's long term effect on the ecomony as far back as my freshman finance course. You should have joined us in that class. Maybe you would have noticed the red flags before 2008."
    McCain did four things that made him look like a condescending, cranky old man last night.

1) Calling Obama 'that one.'

2) Talking down to the guy who asked about Fannie and Freddie

3) Telling Brokaw that he wasn't in the running for Treasury Secretary. WTF?

4) Rushing up to Brokaw when Obama said he wanted to follow up on something McCain said and McCain snapping 'If he's going to get a follow up then I want a follow up, too.'

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by WesCAdle View Post
    You could tell McSame knew he sucked cause he pouted and hurried up and grabbed his Barbie toy and left. Guess he had to hurry to catch a flight immediately to save the world in about 22 hours! Totally disrespectful to the audience and the Obama's. Then pitbull six pack held court at a bar playing the Maverick drinking game although I think they changed it to how many times he said General Patraeus and I know how to get it down - without telling us how.
    His wife is hideous beyond reason. She's just absolutely disgusting looking.

The idea that that creature would be in the news for the next four years is enough to make people vote for Britney rather than McCain.

You have got to be kidding me. People are actually trying to make the "that one" comment racist? What a load of crap. Come up with something better than that.

Obama looked cool sitting on that stool.

I don't see "that one" as racist. I see it as arrogant and immature. Not traits I want to see in my President.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I don't see "that one" as racist. I see it as arrogant and immature. Not traits I want to see in my President.

I agree, I didn't think it was racial, just hateful and rude! Obama stayed cool and calm and stayed on track. He showed class and intelligence!

Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post
    When McCain implied a young black man would have never heard of Fannie and Freddie, he lost me there. I would have raised from my seat and corrected,"With all due respect, Mr. McCain, as an informed citizen who understands economics and business, and holds a degree in said field, I had heard of them before September and questioned sub-prime lending's long term effect on the ecomony as far back as my freshman finance course. You should have joined us in that class. Maybe you would have noticed the red flags before 2008."
    Same here! Just commented elsewhere. What a jerk!

At worst, yet another example of McCain's racism, at best, being totally patronizing to a citizen showing interest.

I agree, I didn't think the "that one" was racist...obnoxious and condescending, but not racist. It is amazing to me that a man whose father had to pull strings to get him into the Naval Academy and then only barely made it out, would repeatedly question the intelligence of an Editor of the Harvard Law Review and a Constitutional Law Professor at Chicago Univ (one of the top tier law schools).

Once again, the "that one" comment totally undermined McCain's basic argument...(1) Obama raises taxes (2) that one voted for a bill with tax cuts for oil companies. I think a basic logic course is in order.

I don't see "that one" or the remark about a young guy not understanding Fannie Mae remotely racist. If we are going to progress on this issue,just take into consideration-McCain would have said the same to anyone. Regardless of color. The Fannie Mae thing was age based,to me. If that guy knew,you can be sure 8,000 viewers were unaware. That One was just McCain being surly-which he is! McCain makes enough of an ass of himself without our assigning racism to him. I doubt Obama wants people to walk on eggs for fear anything they say can be taken as racist-he wants to be treated as any other politician running for president. Certainly mud slinging goes right with it.
    Obama,to me,looked every inch a President. His posture was perfect,unlike McCain's elderly slump. He spoke calmly and didn't rattle. What I came away with was the thought "Poor McCain". Obama doesn't need a Poor anything!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

wait, who's saying "that one" is racist?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    wait, who's saying "that one" is racist?
    I have heard it heavily implied on TV all morning. In fact last night,right off the bat. McCain is just rude as he can be.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Oh, i thought Sweetie meant in here. I was like.. wut?

Which talking heads are calling it racist? It's RUDe, not racist.

Now, if McCain had said "that BOY", well...
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^ No, I was just talking about the general public.

the general public isn't all that bright, which is why we have McCorpse and BibleSpice.

Biblespice, I love it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information