Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tom Brokaw: Chris Matthews & Keith Olbermann have gone too far

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    fuck all these moronic news-readers and the producers who tell them what to say through their ear pieces. they're ruining this for my man Barack! 1ST BLACK NOMINEE FOR A PARTY EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ABOUT FUCKING TIME!
    See, this is what bothers me. This is the second thread I have seen someone emphasizing the fact that he is the first black nominee. Is that all he is to you? I really, really hope that is not true for the bulk of the voters, but I am beginning to wonder.

No, it's just a historic facet.

Like Hillary and the woman thing.

Or McCain and the.. the um... uhhhhhh...not the old thing.. not the white thing.. not the male thing.. not the senile thing....

k, McSame has nothing, but the others.. woo.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

Sir, I'd like a sandwich, a Keith Olbermann/Dan Abrams sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by FriendOrFoe View Post
    See, this is what bothers me. This is the second thread I have seen someone emphasizing the fact that he is the first black nominee. Is that all he is to you? I really, really hope that is not true for the bulk of the voters, but I am beginning to wonder.
    Well, let me make it a third... Barack Obama is the FIRST black man to become a major political party Presidential nominee!! It is Historic, and it means so much to so many people. Not just him, his candidacy, all that he stands for, and all that he has and will accomplish as our President!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

People mention it, because it's a great step forward for this country to finally accept a black man as a presidential nominee. It'd be no different, if say he were a she, or Mexican, or Japanese-American, or Native American, or whatever. We'd still emphasize the fact that, finally, it's someone other than just another white guy with the same ideas.

I don't know why such an emphasis bothers you, anyway. Would you be bothered by it, if Hillary were the nominee, and people kept bringing up the fact that she's running for president, and a WOMAN? Or does it bother you simply because you don't like Obama?

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleWasHere View Post
    People mention it, because it's a great step forward for this country to finally accept a black man as a presidential nominee. It'd be no different, if say he were a she, or Mexican, or Japanese-American, or Native American, or whatever. We'd still emphasize the fact that, finally, it's someone other than just another white guy with the same ideas.

I don't know why such an emphasis bothers you, anyway. Would you be bothered by it, if Hillary were the nominee, and people kept bringing up the fact that she's running for president, and a WOMAN? Or does it bother you simply because you don't like Obama?
    No, it bothers me if this is the only reason people want him for president. Just as it would bother me in any of your other scenarios. I believe in choosing the best person, not who would make the best story or mark in history.

I am not saying he is not the best choice. And I understand that it is an historic moment and a great step forward for our country. It is very cool. But if people have chosen him only based on his race it is wrong. Just as it is wrong to not choose someone based on race. When the first comment that comes out of someone's mouth is "Thank God they finally chose a black man," instead of "Thank God they chose the right man," then it bothers me.

This is not getting past the race issue, if his race is the reason he is being voted for or the only point being made constantly.

You mean as opposed to the people who constantly brought up the fact that Hillary was the first viable female candidate, and her gender became a key talking point for her campaign?

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    You mean as opposed to the people who constantly brought up the fact that Hillary was the first viable female candidate, and her gender became a key talking point for her campaign?
    Not as opposed to. As I stated, that is just as bad.

I can appreciate what Obama's nomination means to the black race. And I can appreciate the historic moment that it is. I just am a little too idealistic and wish that race and/or gender did not even enter into the thinking process when it comes to selecting the best candidate.

Not as opposed to. As I stated, that is just as bad.

I can appreciate what Obama's nomination means to the black race. And I can appreciate the historic moment that it is. I just am a little too idealistic and wish that race and/or gender did not even enter into the thinking process when it comes to selecting the best candidate.
    Of course race and gender entered into people's decisions, whether they were backing Obama, Hillary or McCain. There's nothing wrong with that, just as long as it's not the PRIMARY reason that you opt to support a candidate.

But the reality of it is, you have some people who won't vote for Obama because he's black, or wouldn't vote for Hillary because she's a woman. And you have people who voted for Obama and Hillary based on race and gender, while you had people who are backing McCain because he's not black or female. That's just life.

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

I'll say it. I'm voting for Obama because he is the right man for this time. I've always liked him because he brings a sense of togetherness for this country. Yes he is black, I can see that. I can see why we as a country can be proud at this moment and if I was a member of the African-American race I would be busting my buttons. However I'm voting for him because as I said he is the right man.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Exactly. He is the right man at the right time. I've followed Obama's career since he made his speech at the DNC in 2004. And when he started running for president, he was my second choice behind Hillary. At the time I figured 1) Obama didn't have a chance in hell of winning the nomination, and 2) I didn't think he had enough experience (I didn't know about the seven years in the state senate yet).

It wasn't until he won Iowa when he became my top choice, because he inspired me to want to vote, and nobody had done that since Bill Clinton.

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

The interesting thing to me about the Obama candidacy is that it seems to signal almost an end to the long national nightmare that is racism against blacks. About time. If it gets mentioned a few times that this is historic and he is black I can live with that. He represents hope on many different levels.

Now bring me the nekkid body of Dan Abrams!

Thank you Nana55, Kingcap72 and cheetopia. That is exactly how it should be.

I'm looking forward to the first purple candidate. That'll be sweet.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

go back and read more of my posts and educate yourself on me some more; i dont have time to answer that for you.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information