Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: For those of you voting Nov. 4th...

I believe the first polls to close are Virginia & Indiana at 7pm EST tonight.

It's going to be a long day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariesoleil View Post
    ^^ What time do they start counting the ballots?

Texas is 2 hours ahead of Eastern time right? So that's 9:00PM EST.
    Let me check on that-they may have started already...

Can't find any concrete info, just lots of audits of tallies,since both sides are paranoid about accuracy!
    Last edited by McJag; November 4th, 2008 at 09:00 AM.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Do they do a news blackout like they do in Canada to make sure the votes in the West aren't influenced by the results in the East?
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Just found this on the LA Times website:

Turnout reports. Journalists too have a lot of time to fill today, and this year there will be an obsessive push to assess the turnout. Every indication is that voting rates will be higher (maybe a lot higher) than in recent years. But don't be fooled by a breathless TV reporter broadcasting live from a swarming polling station, or by a call from your Aunt Betty in Ohio describing an eight-hour wait to cast a ballot. Anecdotal slivers do not necessarily mean turnout is going to be up locally or nationally. Wait for official characterizations from secretaries of state or big-county officials before drawing any conclusions.

Exit poll embargo. For the first time in a presidential election, the consortium of news outlets that tracks the national and key state exit polls is keeping its statisticians and data under a strict quarantine until 5 p.m. EDT (2 p.m. in California).This is meant to prevent early leaks of incomplete, raw data, which could create a misleading impression of the results.

The consortium survey is the only national exit poll, so no one outside a secret and secure location in Manhattan will have any legitimate exit-poll data until the officials there release it. Don't believe any reports you hear about exit poll numbers before 2 p.m. in Los Angeles.

Early exit poll reporting. Early exit polls and raw exit poll data can be skewed for a variety of reasons. So even once the data get out of quarantine, responsible networks and media websites will produce only limited reports on what can be gleaned. They'll use the information to identify trends and interesting demographic and attitudinal developments. But flip around your cable TV dial, or click around the Internet, and you can watch some of the less responsible sources use loaded language to hint broadly at the outcome suggested by the early data.

Here's one important historical insight: Methodological problems such as oversampling or insufficient response in past elections have sometimes falsely skewed early exit polls in favor of Democrats. Remember: The exit poll numbers might be absolutely correct or dead wrong, but either way, the real result may not be set in stone.

Early returns of real votes. Actual vote counts are more reliable, and early results in a few key states could tell us the night's story. That's because many of the states with the earliest poll closing times happen to be ones that for generations have been typically Republican strongholds but today are major battlegrounds. Indiana, Virginia and Ohio all have final poll closings by 7:30 p.m. EDT, and Virginia's election tabulation system has historically been able to accurately count its votes very quickly.

If Barack Obama wins two of these states, John McCain's narrow path to the White House is effectively blocked -- and if the Democrat is winning them easily enough for major media to make swift projections, that's probably all she wrote. If McCain wins two of the three, he will remain a long shot for victory, but the fight goes on.

If McCain wins them all? As Dan Rather might say, the night could be longer than a teenager's explanation for how he wrecked the family car.

If Obama wins easily. In 2008, a presidential candidate who gets more than 53% of the popular vote over a broad geographical sweep doesn't just win the election, he wins a true mandate. The latest polls show that Obama may be poised for such a win. If it comes to pass, don't lose sight of the potential for Obama coattails as the night goes on. An overall Democratic landslide could mean a potential political realignment in the United States that could last a decade or more.

If it is a close race. It appears that McCain can only win the battle for 270 electoral votes by a whisker, so if the presidential contest is too close to call by 10 p.m. EDT, watch as judges are forced to decide whether to extend polling place hours in areas with long lines at closing time. And, hearkening back to 2000, look for lawyers from both sides to take center stage with talk of recounts and voting irregularities.

Voting irregularities. Before the Florida fiasco of 2000, two things were true: There were a lot of voting problems in U.S. elections, and no one paid much attention to them. Now only the former is true.

In a vast nation with a decentralized system of election administration, there are always going to be discrepancies when ballots are cast and counted. On this election day, there will be more watchdog efforts than ever before, but be careful to separate the inevitable, small-scale mistakes from crucial incidents -- such as systemic machine errors in counties in large battleground states or thousands of voters waiting in line when the polls close -- that could actually effect the outcome.

As today unfolds, Californians (and many others outside the Eastern time zone) need to remember that even if reliable projections say one candidate has effectively locked up a majority of the electoral votes before you cast your ballot, you should still vote. It's your civic duty, every vote is equal, and when you consider all the issues and all the races, it really won't be over until it's over.

Mark Halperin is an editor at large and senior political analyst for Time magazine and the editor of The Page on time.com.

Finally, election day - Los Angeles Times
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Virginia's election tabulation system has historically been able to accurately count its votes very quickly.

Here is the link for the Virginia board of elections. They'll post results at 7:30.

https://www.voterinfo.sbe.virginia.g...te/sbe%20Temp/

Quote Originally Posted by Belindagogo View Post
    Virginia's election tabulation system has historically been able to accurately count its votes very quickly.

Here is the link for the Virginia board of elections. They'll post results at 7:30.

https://www.voterinfo.sbe.virginia.g...te/sbe%20Temp/
    Maybe they could teach Florida a lesson or two.

I voted, went really fast. It seems most of the people went with my dad at 5:30 this morning. He said he waited for about an hour and a half (and I have a very small polling place, they had to cram 4 precincts in there to make it worth it to open). When I went they had a steady rhythm going. I didn't have to wait in line, but all of the 15 or so booths were filled, by the time I got my ballot someone was walking out of their booth and I was able to go in. That's the most I've seen at our polling place. Every other time I've gone there were maybe 1 or 2 other people there when I was.

Long day ahead of me. I'm meeting the boyfriend at 3 or 4 for an early dinner somewhere and then we're cozying up for a night of drinking and watching results come in.

Elite Member

Are we going to have a sticky thread for election results or is this it?

I'm as nervous as a cat today. Dreamed about Obama last night. I was trying to ask him my question about increasing stock market regulation and I was following him as he ran around from place to place and he kept getting bombarded with people so he never answered my question.

We need a separate results thread. Troubling: Both in Florida and Philadelphia, young voters are not showing up! Durst.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

It's still early, they still have time to show up. I'm a young voter and normally I go later in the day trying to avoid work crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariesoleil View Post
    Maybe they could teach Florida a lesson or two.
    Florida board of elections is supposed to begin posting results at 8:30...we'll see what happens.

Obama has voted! They took the girls! I wish more children could go & watch. Joe Biden is voting now-with his Mom!

Finally,this is happening!

Hit By Ban Bus!

I voted! The lines were long but it moved along at a steady pace. Took me about an hour.

Just voted.Took about 5 minutes.
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

Elite Member

Just voted. No wait at all. The lady at the poling place said 25% of the electorate had voted before work (I got there at 8:45 am). She said the long lines will be later after work. So try to go during the day if you can!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread Information