Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Texas wants to require schools to use Bible as textbook

Quote Originally Posted by xoxo View Post
    you know, the more i am considering this statement, the more i am bewildered..religion uniting people with guidelines to live...? perhaps you are smoking the crack..? or what is that saying...anyways, doesn't make sense
    xoxo woohoo your inner bitch is coming out and i'm loving it!!!!! and might I add you are very much right. if they are going to do this they need to do it right and do a religious study including all religions and they need to make it an elective.
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Quite frankly, I never thought xoxo would be the type to have an inner bitch but I love it also.

This is my favourite line.
    perhaps you are smoking the crack..?
    The funniest comment yet. Before anyone gets offended or think I'm taking sides, xoxo is obviously joking and so am I (please allow me). And take it easy, we've been experiencing a lot of SOHB lately from what I have seen.

Going back to the topic, if people feel that they only need to learn from one religion then that's their loss, instead of learning about other belief systems and ways of life outside of their comfort zone. They will be limited in their thinking, acceptance and tolerance as a result.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

I took a class in high school called The Bible As Literature, aka Bible Lit. It was an elective & nobody was required to take it. It was very interesting, and I never once felt preached to or pressured to believe anything. It was handled in the same way as The Scarlet Letter or Beowulf or Romeo & Juliet.

I think that it's totally fine to offer something like this as an option, but I don't agree that a school should be required to do it or any child required to take it.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

You know, I don't even have a problem with this sort of thing being offered.

What I have a problem with is the intent.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

My hubby went to catholic school all his life and he took some mandatory religion classes he told me but the priest/teacher (? He told me all of his teachers at his school had phD) taught the class about other religions also in addition to Catholicism.
    I went to a public school and my school had a course in comparative cultures, this wasn't compulsory (I didn't take it but my friend did) but it included things like world religions.

I'm more for diversity.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Yeah, I'd like to have the choice to learn as opposed to having it be mandatory.
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

I agree I wouldn't mind if it was an elective but seriously if these kids want to learn about the bible most churches have a bible study class. The only difference is it is truly based on that church's beliefs whereas a public school class would have to be more diverse I would hope.
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

so..you are in favor of this then? regardless of the millions of people who may be buddhists or aetheists or hindu or muslim....how is christianity uniting everyone..? at all?
    I NEVER said i was in favor of it. Just because I live somewhere demographically DOES NOT mean I favor it.

you know, the more i am considering this statement, the more i am bewildered..religion uniting people with guidelines to live...? perhaps you are smoking the crack..? or what is that saying...anyways, doesn't make sense
    That's a pretty shitty remark.

Now we celebrate colored easter bunny eggs, Im with xoxo here......No demographics here......organized religion can go fuck its self......or an alter boy.......I guess

Elite Member

lol soth...jamie that was impolite on my part, and i didn't mean to hurt your feelings..i am just at a loss when it comes to how many people are being abused and excluded by religion...that's all...i think you and i are diametrically opposed when it comes to politics and that's fine, it's totally cool...i won't say such things in the future, i promise...

That's okay, Xoxo. I must have skipped reading some of the posts.

Diametrically opposed? Not sure what you mean here.

Also, I don't mind using myself as a target to get my point across, but some tmes my feeling do get hurt.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information