Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Texas wants to require schools to use Bible as textbook

Yeah but A*O is from Australia and that's a fairly new country too.
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

Like someone else said, as long as it isn't a madatory class, I don't really care. Frankly, I get alot more annoyed at the assholes who tell me kid "write me a report detailing your favorite thing about spring ... but it can't be Easter because that's a religious holiday" - fuck off, do you want his favorite thing or not???
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Yeah, but you know why they're doing it. You KNOW why they're trying to get this. You KNOW it's just another way to start forcing religion down every one's throats at some point along the way.

You can SMELL it. The fact that they're putting forth such a bullshit story as to the reasoning of it raises enough red flags in my mind.

No way in hell I'd let em.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Grimm, relax. Many world history classes have a chapter or two dealing with the Bible because much of modern law is based out of the Old Testament. For me to say it's right or wrong I'd need to know exactly how much they are teaching out of it and in what context. A chapter or two like in world history is one thing, the whole frigging thing as a mandatory class would be wrong. Offering to those that want it as an option wouldn't be bad either. Give folks some choices please. What's wrong with that?

sorry but there is a time and place for religion. i wouldnt want the preacher trying to teach me math during sunday service
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by JamieElizabeth View Post
    I think the difference here is that the UK is more rooted as a country. Not that the US hasn't formed a country, but it's still a young one at that.
    Not sure what that has to do with anything but moving on..... I don't have a problem with kids learning about the Bible or any other religious text PROVIDED it's done objectively and without a religious agenda. It's perfectly possible. Unfortunately, I don't think it will be in this instance and Christian fundamentalists pose as much of a threat to freedom of thought and speech as any 'mad mullah'.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar

I studied parts of the Old Testament in a Western Lit class as part of my undergrad work. We also studied the Odyssey and the Iliad and other works of ancient literature. My professor handled it very well and it was incredibly interesting. However, I simply cannot see this being handled well, not across the board anyway. Further, if they are going to study the Bible, they really must incorporate other religious texts. We have separation of Church and State in this country. If you are going to study the text of some, you really should study the text of them all. To be honest, I think many students would be very interested in the many common threads in the major religions as well as how Christianity incorporated elements of various of religions and pagan beliefs to gain acceptance.

I did not find out until college that cruxification was a common method of execution by the Romans, and not Christ-specific. I grew up going to church and the teachers in my small town public high school would not have touched that with a ten foot pole. Sad, huh?

Gator, when has this in recent history ever turned out anything but bad?

Come on. You know why this is being done.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

There are many reasons why this is being done; to create an army of x-tian youth, outcast the non x-tian student body, to appease the x-tian hicks in the bible belt, and to save money on science classes (because the Theory of Evolution is blashepmy in the name of God).

Historical signficance my ass.

Elite Member

i don't think this is cool at all

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Yeah, but you know why they're doing it. You KNOW why they're trying to get this. You KNOW it's just another way to start forcing religion down every one's throats at some point along the way.

You can SMELL it. The fact that they're putting forth such a bullshit story as to the reasoning of it raises enough red flags in my mind.

No way in hell I'd let em.
    I'm with Grimm. I see Jesus Camp V.2 coming any day now.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

*Runs through the thread singing, Freemasons run the country*

A*O

Don't you think it's ironic that if the rightwing Xian fundies DO manage to impose their agenda in the American education system and ultimately via legislation on The American Way Of Life that the restrictions on people's human rights and civil liberties will be just as draconian as any that might be imposed by an invading horde of Islamic fanatics and other assorted 'terrorists'.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

^^Yup.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Well, nobody actually believes that this is going to happen - well, none of the Christian hicks I know. I can tell you that here in the bible belt that the teachers won't even address why tomorrow is a holiday for the students - they just tell them "it has something to do with Easter". Personally, my son came home and (as an 8year old Christian) was pretty ticked off. He knows more about religion than I do because it is something he cares about. If they were to OFFER (not mandate) this class in a school, my little hick would love it and be the first to volunteer.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information