Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Texas threatening to secede from the nation

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    Before I get into all this, let me just say that I have lived a great deal of my life (10+ years) in Texas, and then about 8 years in California. So I'm not speaking out of my ass here, by any means.

California is only in the equation because they have a much larger population: 36,756,666 vs. Texas' 23,904,380, for a difference of 13 million people. Plus they have many more massive cities, which provide the basis for the larger number of hate groups. In Texas, there are 2 large cities, and then a number of smaller cities and tons of rural area. If you look at the list of hate groups, it paints the picture of a large majority of Texas having active hate groups. In California, its centralized into most of the cities.

I think this argument is partially valid and partially a cop-out. By and large, California has a MUCH worse problem with illegal immigration than Texas. They do- I've lived there and its literally visible wherever you go. ETA: Statistically, California has 2.4 million illegals, compared to Texas' 1.4 million, according to a Pew Hispanic Study I just found.

Plus, Texas has a massive problem with teen pregnancy because of all the opposition to educating teens about contraception, sex ed, preaching abstinence, etc. I should know: the high school I graduated from in Texas LED THE NATION in teen pregnancies & births for 3 years running. And without exception, it was middle-class American Southern Baptist girls who didn't get any education on those matters. In California, you have a Planned Parenthood within 10 minuets of you, wherever you live. In my part of Texas, the closest Planned Parenthood was 4 hours away. We had ONE family planning clinic that gave out birth control to teens and did STD screenings (no abortions), and it served an area about 400 miles in all directions. Yeah, people would drive 4 hours to come to this one rinky-dink family planning clinic. Is it any wonder that there was a massive teen pregnancy problem?

The same logic follows for the high school graduation rate. In Texas, you've had that screwed up TASP/TAKS/THEA test that has led to so many kids being unable to graduate high school because of the stupid test and screwed up education system. I don't doubt that illegal immigrants are part of that problem, but lets not forget that George Bush launched the training wheels version of No Child Left Behind in Texas when he was Gov.

Texas has deep, deep problems. To blame it all on illegal immigration isn't even close to the full story of how screwed up the state is.
    1. With California having 13 million more people and only 1 million more "illegals", that kinda does prove the point. And I didn't blame the entire problem on illegals. Plus, I'm not sure exactly how accurate a count there is on "illegals". Since they aren't paying taxes or voting or anything, kinda hard to keep an accurate number.
    2. I'm familiar with No Child Left Behind & the TAKS test as I do raise a child here. It's shit. Never said it wasn't.
    3. There was no free clinic where I grew up either - and no, I did not grow up in Texas- and I managed to not get knocked up or contract any diseases.
    As you can see from the PEW survey, the problems in California and Texas are quite comparable when it comes to the illegal problem.
    U.S. Rank1
    Total Hispanic Population in California 13,219,000 1
    Hispanics as Percent of State Population 36% 2

Hispanics as Percent of U.S. Hispanic Population 29.8%Native-Born Hispanics (Percent of Hispanics) 59% 31

Foreign-Born Hispanics (Percent of Hispanics) 41%21

Mexican Origin (Percent of Hispanics) 83% 1
    Non-Mexican Origin (Percent of Hispanics) 17% 3

and now Texas:
    U.S. Rank1
    Total Hispanic Population in Texas 8,591,000 2
    Hispanics as Percent of State Population 36% 3

Hispanics as Percent of U.S. Hispanic Population 19.4%

Native-Born Hispanics (Percent of Hispanics) 67% 17
    Foreign-Born Hispanics (Percent of Hispanics)33% 35
    Mexican Origin (Percent of Hispanics)85% 2
    Non-Mexican Origin (Percent of Hispanics)15% 4
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Rick Perry is a jackass... oh and here's another little something that happened but it wasn't in retaliation to Rick Perry talking like a dipshit
    House vote nearly depletes Perry’s office budget

By PEGGY FIKAC AUSTIN BUREAU

April 17, 2009, 8:33PM

AUSTIN — If they liked him any more, maybe they’d take away his parking space, too.
    The Texas House Friday voted to drain most of GOP Gov. Rick Perry’s office budget and instead spend the money on community mental health crisis services and veterans’ services.
    The move, which came during House debate on a $178.4 billion proposal for the two-year period starting Sept. 1, immediately drew a reference to Perry’s recent comments about Texas’ ability to secede from the union. The comments have drawn national attention and some lawmakers’ ire.
    “Two days after the governor threatens secession, the House zeroes out his budget,” said Rep. Richard Raymond, D-Laredo, House Appropriations Committee vice chairman.
    Perry has said he just raised the idea of secession but didn’t advocate it.
    The House action came a day after the Senate rebuffed Perry’s wishes on another matter, by voting for legislation that would allow Texas to take more than half a billion dollars in economic stimulus funds for unemployment benefits. Perry opposes program changes that Texas would have to make to get the money.
    In the House, the Houston lawmakers who initiated the near-emptying of Perry’s budget said it wasn’t a slap at him. They said they just wanted to fund crucial programs.
    “I need the money. I don’t care where I get it,” said Rep. John Davis, R-Houston, who offered the proposal to take $18.5 million from Perry’s office and spend it on mental health services that divert people from jails and emergency rooms. “These people need help.”
    Davis said he hopes that by taking the money from Perry’s office, he may get some leverage in keeping mental-health funding at the needed level when legislative negotiators work out differences between the House and Senate versions of the budget — and, presumably, Perry’s funding is restored.

Rep. Jessica Farrar, D-Houston, said her move of $4 million from Perry’s office to veterans similarly wasn’t aimed at the governor: “I was trying to do something for veterans. That’s it.”
    The move left Perry’s office with only about $900,000 to operate.
    “They’re just playing silly games,” said Perry spokeswoman Allison Castle.
    Some said Republicans didn’t fight the move because they expect it to be reversed later and it helped them avoid several tough votes.
    Farrar had planned to offer multiple proposals to divert chunks of the governor’s operating budget to various programs. When Davis scooped up most of the money for mental health, it saved the House from having to vote against several projects to save Perry’s funding.
    “It’s sad that some Democrats are playing politics with the state budget during these tough economic times,” said Rep. Larry Taylor, R-Friendswood, adding of the governor’s funding, “It’ll be taken care of in the rest of the process.”
    The House budget debate continues into the night. The Senate already has approved a $182.2 billion, two-year budget proposal.
    Both budget proposals use about $11 billion of federal stimulus funding, the subject of a furor in the Texas Senate on Friday.
    Senators met behind closed doors to argue over some Democratic claims that federal stimulus money meant for public education is being misspent to balance the state’s budget. Chairmen of the budget-writing committees have said they are spending the money properly.
    The meeting was triggered by a letter Senate Democrats sent on Thursday to U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan, questioning whether stimulus money was being used to supplant state tax dollars in the budget instead of being spent as additional aid for the school districts of Texas. The letter is similar to ones that have been written by Democratic congressmen from Texas, as well as superintendents from major school districts.
    If Duncan were to rule that the money is being misspent, it would leave the state budget billions short of balancing.
    Chronicle Reporter R.G. Ratcliffe contributed to this story.
    pfikac@express-news.ne.

This thread is ignorant and rather hateful. Also, Houston is located in Harris county.
    Last edited by Just Kill Me; April 20th, 2009 at 06:58 PM.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Perry has said he just raised the idea of secession but didn’t advocate it.
    This rationale makes no sense. If a Governor raises the idea of secession, and doesn't say it's a bad thing, they're essentially advocating it as a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    This rationale makes no sense. If a Governor raises the idea of secession, and doesn't say it's a bad thing, they're essentially advocating it as a possibility.
    King! No one has ever accused our Esteemed Governor of being logical or even bright!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    King! No one has ever accused our Esteemed Governor of being logical or even bright!
    Well, he is a Republican/right-to-lifer, so that explains a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    This thread is ignorant and rather hateful.
    Explanation?

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    Explanation?
    Maybe she's just having a "typical texan" response. you know how we can be....
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Fuck Texas!

You know I love you Texas bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    Maybe she's just having a "typical texan" response. you know how we can be....
    Perhaps...I was just curoius about our sins. I can be ignorant with the best of 'em, but hateful is just fightin' words. Esp. at the end of an article she posted which adds a pretty strong air of craziness to the TX gubbermint.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    Perhaps...I was just curoius about our sins. I can be ignorant with the best of 'em, but hateful is just fightin' words. Esp. at the end of an article she posted which adds a pretty strong air of craziness to the TX gubbermint.
    I posted an article in which democrats and republicans in Texas yanked Perry's budget out from under his ass. Those are the people that represent Texans in Austin, Rick Perry is just some douchebag with helmet politician hair.

I say it is ignorant and hateful when people think an entire state can just up and bolt because some moron brings it up, people think an entire state should remove itself from the United States because we were red in the last election, and the entire population consists of redneck idiots) The last time there was secession there was a civil war. Who fucking cares, Texas is a useless state full of nutcases. OMG all the smart and enlightened people should just drop bombs on us until we don't exist. If we suck that much why not?

Texas is full of crazies, a republican did something reasonable...

*drops 2 bombs on texas*

| | |

I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^^ Niiiiiiice. And may I add

just for good measure.

I posted an article in which democrats and republicans in Texas yanked Perry's budget out from under his ass. Those are the people that represent Texans in Austin, Rick Perry is just some douchebag with helmet politician hair.

I say it is ignorant and hateful when people think an entire state can just up and bolt because some moron brings it up, people think an entire state should remove itself from the United States because we were red in the last election, and the entire population consists of redneck idiots) The last time there was secession there was a civil war. Who fucking cares, Texas is a useless state full of nutcases. OMG all the smart and enlightened people should just drop bombs on us until we don't exist. If we suck that much why not?

Texas is full of crazies, a republican did something reasonable...
    JKM - I guess I don't understand why you're so upset. Putting aside that this story is about Texas, this is EXACTLY the type of story we make fun of around here. It is the elected officials (not some random loon) that are acting this way and saying these things. Pick any other state, city or even country, put the same stories out there, are you still so touchy?
    Last edited by Tati; April 21st, 2009 at 01:22 PM.

Would it be okay to say that other countries and states are full of useless and ignorant idiots? No.

Yes it is. Hello, newfoundland!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Would it be okay to say that other countries and states are full of useless and ignorant idiots? No.

Y-E-S!!!!! Absolutely. The people that the great State of Texas elected the Governor and elected their Representatives. We get to comment when the act like blithering idiots.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread Information