Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Texas threatening to secede from the nation

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    See my previous post, I already poked holes in all of your comments.
    No you didn't-- because all of the ills in California are likewise caused or exacerbated by the two factors above. And I can't believe you think you know what you're talking about if you think Texas only has two large cities.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    No you didn't-- because all of the ills in California are likewise caused or exacerbated by the two factors above. And I can't believe you think you know what you're talking about if you think Texas only has two large cities.
    READ:
    Before I get into all this, let me just say that I have lived a great deal of my life (10+ years) in Texas, and then about 8 years in California. So I'm not speaking out of my ass here, by any means.

California is only in the equation because they have a much larger population: 36,756,666 vs. Texas' 23,904,380, for a difference of 13 million people.
    All pulled from US Census data:
    LA County (more accurate: 9,878,554); Los Angeles, city, 3,849,378
    Orange County: 2,997,033
    San Diego County: 2,974,859; San Diego city: 1,256,951
    San Bernadino County: 2,007,800
    Riverside County: 2,073,571

Smaller cities:
    San Francisco: 744,041
    Sacramento: 453,781
    Fresno: 466,714

2 massive TX cities:
    Dallas county: 2,366,511; Dallas city: 1,232,940
    Houston county: 3,935,855; Houston city: 2,144,491
    Tarrant County: 1,717,435; Ft. Worth city: 653,320
    Bexar County: 1,594,493; San Antonio: 1,296,682

Smaller cities:
    Austin: 709,893
    El Paso: 609,415

Okay, I'll change it to Texas has 3 major cities, to include San Antonio. But they aren't even on a scale of California.

I think this argument is partially valid and partially a cop-out. By and large, California has a MUCH worse problem with illegal immigration than Texas. They do- I've lived there and its literally visible wherever you go. ETA: Statistically, California has 2.4 million illegals, compared to Texas' 1.4 million, according to a Pew Hispanic Study I just found.
    See for yourself: http://pewhispanic.org/files/reports/46.pdf

California still has 13 million more people living in the state, and 1 million more illegal immigrants. California has a greater problem in this area than Texas, and yet they aren't in as dire straits as Texas in most of these issues. And, to blame the bulk of this problem on Texas illegal immigration problem isn't accurate. The state has a HUGE problem in terms of accessibility to contraception, teaching sex ed, making it possible to graduate from high school, and making college affordable and accessible.

I dont deny that illegal immigration is a PART of the problem, but its not the PRIMARY problem.

See you just proved my point. The rinky-dink family planning clinic in my county is on the verge of being shut down because of a re-allocation of dollars. And they don't provide the services that I mentioned in my previous post.

And if you look at that listing, you'll see a whole lot of 'No clinics listed for this county. Surrounding counties are:'

Texas makes Ohio(now a blue state and officially out of 'Jesusland') look good!

-Come visit our Amish-we have more of them than anyone else-even Pennsylvania!

-Like excitement? We have the best combo of amusement parks and the most/best collection of roller coasters in the world!

-Lake Erie is clean and blue now..and the islands off Sandusky are lovely in summer.

but..

...just be kind of careful in the dirty crime ridden inner cities..uh...and watchout for the bland boring Republican suburbs.. er..and watch out for the inbred rural areas and dying small towns..

hmm..

Nevermind. Stay away!
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    Texas makes Ohio(now a blue state and officially out of 'Jesusland') look good!

-Come visit our Amish-we have more of them than anyone else-even Pennsylvania!

-Like excitement? We have the best combo of amusement parks and the most/best collection of roller coasters in the world!

-Lake Erie is clean and blue now..and the islands off Sandusky are lovely in summer.

but..

...just be kind of careful in the dirty crime ridden inner cities..uh...and watchout for the bland boring Republican suburbs.. er..and watch out for the inbred rural areas and dying small towns..

hmm..

Nevermind. Stay away!

SHHHHHH, they're arguing about the big daddys, no need to draw attention.

In general,sugars, Texas has MORE everything: drunks included. Certainly more car accidents-it is much bigger than several states combined.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Yeah, this has just gotten stupid. And (P)rick Perry doesn't deserve this much attention.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

I haven't even been to Texas but have lived in southern California since 1962. The immigration problem has changed everything. Education is awful now. Trying to teach any number of kids who speak a million different languages "dumbs it down" for everyone. health care is ridiculously bad. the waits at emergency rooms, the costs for the uninsured had ruined our health care system. The brain drain of the best and brightest leaving this state is scary. I would move if I could, but my husbands business is here and so are my grandkids. some day.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

^Prop 13 has changed California more than the immigration problem.

Oh please, what does this guy think? This is actually going to happen? Americans are too lazy to secede.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Let em.

All this because a black guy is in office. Jesus, the US has some serious fucking issues.
    Yeah we do.

oh and

[youtube]HC9ffLtpjD0[/youtube]

Elite Member

OK, before the election I posted this 'Letter to the Red States' about we Blues secceeding, but tweak it slightly and it still works.
    'Dear Red States:
    If you manage to steal this election too, we've decided that we are leaving. We intend to form our own Country; and we're taking all the Blue Staes with us. In case you are not aware, that includes California, Hawaii, Oregon, Washington, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michegan, Illinois and ALL of the North East. We believe that this split will be beneficial to the Nation, especially to the people of the new Nation of Nuevo California.

To sum up briefly:
    You get Texas and all the slave states.
    We get stem cell research and all the best beaches.

We get the Statue of Liberty.
    You get Dollywood.

We get Microsoft.
    You get Worldcom.

We get Harvard.
    You get Ole' Miss.

We get 85% of America's Venture Capatilists and entrepreneurs.
    You get Alabama.

We get 2/3 of America's tax revenue.
    You get to make the Red States pull their weight.

Since our aggregate divorce rate is 22% lower than the Christian Coalition's, we get a bunch of happy families.
    You get a bunch of single moms.

Please be aware that Nuevo California will be pro choice and anti war. As such, we are going to require all of our citizens back from Iraq at once. If you need people to fight, ask your evangelicals. They have kids that they are apparantly willing to send to their deaths for no purpose; and they dont care if you don't show pictures of their children's cakeskets coming home. We do wish you success in Iraq, and hope the WMDs show up, but we are not willing to spend our resources in Bush's quagmire.

With the Blue Staes firmly in had, we will have control of 80% of the US fresh water, more than 90% of the pineapple and lettuce, 92% of the US's fresh fruit, 95% of US's quality wines, 90% of all chees, 90% of all high tech industry, 95% of all corn and soybeans (thanks, Iowa!) most of the US low sulfur coal, all living redwoods, sequoias and condors, all the Ivy League and Seven Sisters schools, plus Stanford, Cal TGEch and MIT. We also get Hollywood and Yosemite, thank you.

With the Red States on the other hand, you will have to cope with88% of all obese Americans with their projected healthcare costes, 92% of all US mosquitos, nearly 100% of all the tornados, 90% of the hurricanes, 99% of all southern baptists, virtually 100% of all televangelists, Rush Limbaugh, Bob Jones University, Clemson, and U of GA.

Additionally, 38% of those in the Red Dtates believe that Jonash was actually swallowed by the Wale, 62% believe that life is sacred, unless we are discussig the war, the death penalty or guns, 44% say evolution is only a theory, 53% believe that Saddam Hussein was involved in 9/11 and 61% of you crazy bastards believe that you are people with higher morals than we lefties.

Please be advised that Bush 43 and his VP have been denied on their applications for a visa to travel within Nuevo California. They might want to stay away from The Hague , too. They've gotten so touchy about war crimes these days.

Finally, we are taking all of the good pot. You can have that seedy dirt weed they grow in Mexico.'

In short...Go. Take the rest of your kind with you. Good Bye and Good Luck. *Let the party begin*

Yeah, this has just gotten stupid. And (P)rick Perry doesn't deserve this much attention.
    I'm sorry to be the asshole who continues the debate, but I think its interesting that you deem the debate 'stupid' after I've presented a very fact-filled and sourced response to your comments. And yeah, we've potentially moved beyond the succession debate, but we haven't moved beyond the debate about why exactly Texas is such a tragic f'in mess.

Point being, I came into this to have an intelligent conversation about why texas is such an f'in mess of a state. I was hoping for other GR TX residents to come forward and offer their own experiences, so that perhaps we could have an intelligent political conversation about how in the world we can change the path that Texas seems so determined to march down.

But no. So my other point was proven immediately: to call BS on the response of the typical Texan when confronted with these problems. Most of the time, they blame the Mexicans / Democrats / non-Christians and look for the closest pile of sand to bury their head in.

And that is utter and complete BS, and a massive reason why the state is such a mess. You can't fix problems unless you truly analyze their underpinnings and come to grips with your own hypocrisy.

90 % of this is explained by:
    1) Mexicans
    2) Very large population
    I don't care if #1 is offensive, it is the God's honest truth.
    No, it's not true, and not accurate. First of all, many of the "Mexicans" are not Mexicans at all. Mexicans are not the only ones who illegally immigrate, and they are not the ones at the root of the problems, they are a symptom. I'm not saying that this or any other group is "innocent." That's the point, we all contribute to the problems, and we can also all contribute to the solution, but not if you ignore reality by blaming everything on others.

As you said in #2, there is a very large population. There are millions of people interacting with each other, and they also interact with others outside of Texas. Knowing just how complicated and intricate our social problems are, it's both DANGEROUS and just plain INCORRECT to place the largest burden of blame on an easily-blamed ethnic group.

Cali! Please! Of course we have more bad state stats. We are bigger than some states combined! We also have (and keep in mind our size) 2% LOWER unemployment that the national average. This is from the Dept of Labor in March 09:
    Table A. States with unemployment rates significantly differ-
    ent from that of the U.S., March 2009, seasonally adjusted
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    State | Rate(p)
    United States (1) ...................| 8.5
    |
    California ..........................| 11.2
    |
    Texas ...............................| 6.7

We have no state income tax and a 2000 sq ft house in L A would cost maybe a million,you can get it here for around 200,000 thou. We have people coming here from all other states-businesses too. They get tax breaks-we get lower unemployment. This governor is having a great time with all of his publicity,but not even Republicans are going to support this hairbrained idea. The nice part is that he just shot himself in the foot-there go his chances of running for President!
    This state has thousands of really nice people and I am sorry you seem to be writing us all off. Good lord-what if people judged CA by the Paris Hilton of politics? So lets just have fun with this stupefying thought,please!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Talking Texas now for sale on eBay!

Cost Conscious

With the apparent desire of some Texans to secede from the United States, one cost conscious eBayer has taken it upon themselves to place the state on the auction block and sell it off to the highest bidder as a way of defraying the cost of the bank bailout and possibly some portion of the national debt.

The minimum bid for Texas was set at $100,000. But it's already been bid up to over $65 million.

--Josh Marshall
    http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/arc..._conscious.php

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread Information