Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg hospitalized for pancreatic cancer

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    February 9, 2009, 10:08 am
    The Prognosis: Justice Ginsburg to Remain Quite Active

Posted by Ashby Jones

Since Thursday, when it was revealed that Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg had been diagnosed with an early form of pancreatic cancer, the world has been abuzz with speculation over who might replace her. Click here for an LB post from Friday on the topic.

Early signs, however, indicate that she’s not ready to hang up her robe just yet. Court spokeswoman Kathy Arberg said on Friday that Ginsburg intends to come back to the court in time for three days of oral arguments beginning Feb. 23. (Ginsburg had surgery Thursday at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York to remove a small cancerous tumor from the center of her pancreas.) Click here for the Washington Post story.

Ginsburg’s plan to return so quickly signals that she is recovering well from the surgery and that she probably avoided a more extensive type of operation that is sometimes needed for pancreatic tumors, said Sarah Thayer, a surgeon at Massachusetts General Hospital, to the WaPo. “If she’s going back already, you know she’s likely doing fairly well,” Thayer said. She did not have specific knowledge about Ginsburg’s case.

Furthermore, word is that Ginsburg is much tougher than her frail appearance might suggest. A decade ago, she did not miss a single day of court proceedings after an operation and therapy for colon cancer. Before her new bout with cancer, Ginsburg told audiences that she hoped to follow the pattern set by Louis Brandeis, who arrived at the court at age 60 and served for more than two decades, until age 83.

All those sizing up the new candidates can scratch Michigan governor Jennifer Granholm off the list. On Friday, she, through her spokeswoman, announced she wasn’t interested in a Supreme Court seat or any other position in the Obama administration.

Law Blog - WSJ.com : The Prognosis: Justice Ginsburg to Remain Quite Active
    We heard the same kind of stuff about Tony Snow, Patrick Swayze, and on and on. All the happy BS about how they have bucked the odds that somehow felled everyone else. Not buying it at all. She is very frail, and this is not good. I wish her the best of luck, though.

Elite Member

Default re

The pancreas is an endocrine gland, and when cancer cells from certain parts of the pancreas are shed, they go right into the lymph and bloodstream to set up metastases in different organs. It is just possible that if her tumor was small and not in a bad place, and could be removed entirely, that the prognosis will be better, or at least, won't kill her as fast.

I am sure she is getting the straight talk from her doctor and has weighed the pros and cons of going back to work against spending it relaxing or with her family. It doesn't really matter what "they" tell us, it's what they tell her. I'm sure she'll step down when and if she needs to.

Listen the SC is full of middle-aged and old guys who could drop dead from stroke or heart attack any time. There are no guarantees for anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Me too. I would much rather Scalia had a heart attack. I know it sounds bad, but I think it would be more fair. Ruth's had plenty of health problems already. But she still keeps going!
    Irony being that Ginsburg and Scalia are opera buddies.
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information