Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Supreme Court to hear abortion rights case.

Default Re: Supreme Court to hear abortion rights case.

I can see the pros and cons of both sides, both have merit.

Kids under 18 need parental permission to do pretty much anything, why would this be different?

However, this situation IS somewhat different in that getting that permission could be denied and then the kid is stuck having a child she doesn't want or that was a mistake. Then what?

Rock and a hard place.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I believe it is a womans right to contol her own body, and she has the choice of whether or not to have an abortion. However, I do believe that it has to be a woman making this decision, not a juvenile. I know there are pros and cons but I have to fall on the side of parental notification and permission.

so what do you say when a teen gets impregnated by her abusive father? or by her boyfriend? you'd still have the doc call her dad to tell her and have him beat the shit outta her when she got home?

Quote Originally Posted by calendargurl View Post
    so what do you say when a teen gets impregnated by her abusive father? or by her boyfriend? you'd still have the doc call her dad to tell her and have him beat the shit outta her when she got home?
    I would hope she would have the sense to tell the dr. what happened so he could call the police and they could have the incestuous/rapist prick of a father locked up. How would her just automatically getting an abortion help her? And I do believe there would be cases where an abortion would be justified in certain cases no matter what the parents would say. that would be a matter for the courts. There are pros and cons as had been said. i just fall more toward the one side than the other. In cases of abuse the best thing that can happen is for it to come out in the open as soon as possible. Would you want her to just get an abortion and then just go right home and suffer more trauma from the father or boyfriend? Nothing would really change-it would just be like nothing happened-and she could expect more of the same.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Yes, I understand what you are saying but I believe that she should be able to talk to her parents about it and the parents should be able to know what's going on in their childs life,especially when it is something as important as this.And I know that it is very difficult to talk to ur parents about abuse and rape ,this is coming from a personal experience but as difficult as it seems parents are there to support not judge in most cases.

That's all well and good in Ozzie and Harriet land but I think we know that there are any number of parents are not supporive, they are judgemental and if they really knew or cared what was going on in their kid's lives, they'd flip. I understand when people say this is a big thing and parents have a right, but here I think the child's rights outweigh the parents.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

thank you butt, that was very "real world" perspective for once.

I don't know how I feel about this. On the one hand, I would want to know if my minor child was planning on having an abortion. On the other hand, I know there are circumstances out there where girls can't tell their parents they are doing this, for different reasons. I would like to think I would be the kind of parent who would listen to my kid, but there are plenty who don't, and there are a lot of kids who would resort to going to a back allen abortionist rather than telling their parents, and they could die from this. This is a tough issue.
    Keep passing the open windows.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information