Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stunt alert: John McCain trying to vote NO on bailout to distance himself from Bush

i didn't write the fucking article.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

But Obama is with the bailout with the Democrats additions such as making to ensure that that Government will have an equity stake- McCain is siding with the republicans who are refusing this and want more deregulation!!!!!!
    Both parties are playing politics here and they are both pathetic acting like a bunch of headless chickens.

How is it playing politics if the Dems are trying to REGULATE the mess
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by ana-mish-ana View Post
    But Obama is with the bailout with the Democrats additions such as making to ensure that that Government will have an equity stake- McCain is siding with the republicans who are refusing this and want more deregulation!!!!!!
    Both parties are playing politics here and they are both pathetic acting like a bunch of headless chickens.

How does adding money for ACORN have anything to do with the Wall Street bailout?

How does aid for hurricane victims have anything to do with the Wall Street bailout?

See, its shit like this that halts progress. Make the bill about what is for, not about other miscellaneous ideas that have no business being included. The bill, as proposed, is going to kill any proposals any candidate is talking about. Want gov't healthcare? Not gonna happen. Want tax cuts? Not gonna happen.

If it were up to me, Wall Street would be left hanging. It isn't any different than the bailout- there is no guarantee the bailout will work.

So fuck the CEOs who fucked us all.

I saw a great email that had a better proposal: give that 700B to to every legal American citizen over 18. After taxes (which helps the gov't), every person would have close to $250,000 in their pocket. Talk about an immediate boost to the economy. Mortgages = paid off.

I'd rather see the money in the hands of the people it belongs to than to risk these jackasses fucking things up again. And it will happen.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

I would agree with that but there should also be policies about the banks they are falling like a house of cards and calling for deregulation is just fucking insane which was ONE Of the main reasons why the repubs walked out.

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    If it were up to me, Wall Street would be left hanging. It isn't any different than the bailout- there is no guarantee the bailout will work.

So fuck the CEOs who fucked us all.
    You think this such a great idea, eh? Ever hear of the TED spread? Guess what, the TED spread is rising, which is not a good sign. It's a sign that more banks may soon fail. This is already affecting small businesses.

Small Business Struggling As Credit Dries Up
    Posted By:Kenneth Stier, Sep 25, 2008
    While most of the nation's attention is focused on saving behemoth financial firms, small businesses are struggling to ride out a perfect storm of tougher credit conditions in a badly hobbled economy.
    The result is that the finance sector's woes -- which has spawned new lending prudence -- is exacerbating, rather than relieving, economic weakness.
    Even government programs designed to help small business are falling down on their mandate just when they are needed most, says small business advocates.
    "It's always been difficult for small business but now it is become almost impossible" to survive, say Marilyn Landis, chairwoman of the National Small Business Association (NSBA). "Many factors are coming together to make this a perfect storm for small businesses."
    Until recently most small business owners could go to their local banks and get unsecured loan of $100,000 or more but those days are long gone.

In the past, owners could put up buildings or equipment for loans needing collateral; similarly service companies could post solid track records of positive cash flow.
    But under sharply tightened lending standards these are no longer any guarantee to get needed funding.
    Besides, with so much manufacturing having migrated offshore there is less equipment to use as collateral, and property values have plummeted around the country.
    As a consequence, small businesses are now using bank loans -- far preferable than relying on credit cards -- is at a 15 year low.
    Sixty percent of domestic banks reported having tightened standards on commercial and industrial (C&I) loans to medium and large firms, according to the Federal Reserve Bank's July survey of senior loan officer's opinion on their lending practices.
    But for small firms, terms tightened even more. Lending standards to small firms were raised on C&I loans at 65 percent of banks, up from 50 percent in April.
    Some 32 percent of small business survey by the NSBA said they were experiencing worsening bank terms, forcing many to use credit cards more.
    That's more convenient for banks ”which can shift debt off their books to a handful of credit companies “ but it subjects borrowers to higher rates and terms that can be changed at will.
    In an August survey, 67 percent of small business owners reported worsening credit card terms” up from 57 percent in February.
    All this has added to small business owners being "extremely anxious" about the prospect for recession, according to a recent NSBA survey, which found 79 percent anticipating a recession or flat growth at best.
    "Even the perception of such limitations on small business sector translates into prolonging the recovery of the US economy," says the survey.
    This is critical because small businesses are responsible for 93.5 percent of net new jobs created in the US since 1989, according to the NSBA.
    The trade association's survey says near-term prospects for new net job is stagnant.
    "It"s a tighter market, it means it takes a little longer, there is a more scrutiny, consumers have to jump through a few more hoops to get that loan," says Tracey Mills, a spokesperson for Consumer Banking Association. "And it's a good thing because banks just want to make sure that whoever gets the loan, will have the ability to repay."
    Co-mingled credit histories
    One of those new tighter hoops is tighter scrutiny of credit scores.
    But that particularly complicates small businesses because many owners' personal and business credit histories are co-mingled, with the debt businesses normally have to carry pulling down overall scores.

Small Business Riding Out Perfect Storm of Credit Crunch - Credit Market * US * News * Story - CNBC.com

Enjoy living in a cardboard box.

McCain to House GOP: "We need a deal"
    September 26, 2008 11:09 AM

ABC News' Jonathan Karl Reports: John McCain made an urgent appeal to House Republicans at their 9:30 leadership meeting Friday morning.

A senior House GOP leadership aide involved in the negotiations described McCain's message this way, "We need a deal. We need a deal. We need a deal."

Friday's debate is clearly a factor in the urgency of McCain's appeal: "As long as we have the broad framework of a deal he can go to the debate and claim he did his job."

After the meeting, Rep. Spencer Bachus, R-Ala., and House Republican Whip Roy Blunt were dispatched to resume negotiations with House Democrats.

House Republicans seem poised to cave on this (says one House Republican, "We don't want to be seen as obstructionists"), although they have been assured that some of their ideas can be incorporated into the final deal.

Specifically, House GOP leaders want the bill to include federal mortgage insurance as an alternative to the wholesale buying of mortgage securities.

A key factor for the House Republicans is the price tag of the bailout. "The $700 billion number has got to come down."
    Political Radar: McCain to House GOP: We Need a Deal

Umm were they not close to a deal before McCain rode into DC and stuck his nose in it.

How does aid for hurricane victims have anything to do with the Wall Street bailout?

See, its shit like this that halts progress. Make the bill about what is for, not about other miscellaneous ideas that have no business being included.
    Are you talking about the bailout plan or the year end budget? As I understand it, the 603B budget that was just passed includes the aid for hurricane victims. I haven't heard anywhere that the bailout plan, which has obviously not been passed, includes anything about hurricane victims.

Or am I just misunderstanding what you're saying or missing the info that hurricane relief is being added to the 700 trillion bailout plan? Can you elaborate please?
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Quote Originally Posted by nwgirl View Post
    Are you talking about the bailout plan or the year end budget? As I understand it, the 603B budget that was just passed includes the aid for hurricane victims. I haven't heard anywhere that the bailout plan, which has obviously not been passed, includes anything about hurricane victims.

Or am I just misunderstanding what you're saying or missing the info that hurricane relief is being added to the 700 trillion bailout plan? Can you elaborate please?

I posted a thread that gave the details about the Bush plan. It gave the details about the pork included. These other things, ACORN, oil shale, were added afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Enjoy living in a cardboard box.
    Letting Wall Street hang and having the gov't bail them out run that risk for all of them. I'd rather save the taxpayers the money AND the increase in the deficit before trusting the gov't- the exact same gov't that got us in this mess.

Letting Wall Street hang and having the gov't bail them out run that risk for all of them. I'd rather save the taxpayers the money AND the increase in the deficit before trusting the gov't- the exact same gov't that got us in this mess.
    The markets haven't been regulated on these matters in a long time. That's the problem. If government doesn't start regulating again, then we'll be in this situation again.

You're not going to be saving taxpayers any money when another depression starts because banks collapse, businesses (including small businesses) collapse and millions of people start losing their jobs.

Some people refuse to view the bigger picture and the domino effect that will follow if we allow wall street to fail.

I posted a thread that gave the details about the Bush plan. It gave the details about the pork included. These other things, ACORN, oil shale, were added afterwards.
    This thread? Democrats adding 500 Billion in pork to bailout bill

Cause the end of the year budget is totally separate from the bailout plan. The budget has already been passed. The bail out plan, which is being discussed right now, does not include hurricane relief or oil shale.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

I want them to take their time. I say fuck it and just let it ride. Let us just see what happens. We are gonna be in shit either way so let us just do nothing! It just seems if we do something, it's all just gonna screw it up even more. Fuck it. I am ready to get in line for toilet paper and bread. Just sick of all the politics. Wish the aliens would come down right about now.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information