Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 260
Like Tree236Likes

Thread: Stephen King: Tax Me, for F**k’s Sake!

  1. #106
    Elite Member southernbelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    washers and dryers are luxuries now? not at my house! they save money because you arent' loading up all your crap in a gas guzzling suv to go to the laundromat to spend 20 bucks a week to wash everything.
    Maybe not the washer, but the dryer definitely. My grandparents didn't get one until their kids were grown. They would hang their clothes out on a line in the backyard, or if it was raining, in the laundry room, to dry. Even now that they have a dryer, my grandmother still prefers to line dry her clothes.

  2. #107
    Elite Member McJag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    42,521

    Default

    Somehow, I do not think of washing machines or dishwasher as luxury items. I do not think the majority of the US is lolling about in McMansions, either. The general trend here is smaller houses with lower everything, including property tax.
    If anyone is stupid enough to plunge into a lifestyle above their means after all the warnings we have seen in the past few years, fine. They will reap what they sow.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

  3. #108
    Elite Member *DIVA!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    15,753

    Default

    My grandparents didn't have a lot of things that's afforded to me now..evolution!! And I wouldn't change it for the world!
    shedevilang likes this.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

    I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

  4. #109
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    34,678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    Maybe not the washer, but the dryer definitely. My grandparents didn't get one until their kids were grown. They would hang their clothes out on a line in the backyard, or if it was raining, in the laundry room, to dry. Even now that they have a dryer, my grandmother still prefers to line dry her clothes.

    Yes, and people used to use horse drawn carriages too.......

    A clothes dryer is a necessity to me, ranking far above a dishwasher.
    shedevilang likes this.



    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  5. #110
    Elite Member Mel1973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cuntopia
    Posts
    42,981

    Default

    Agreed. I have a dishwasher that came in my house that I've never bothered to hook up. I put things in it that I hardly ever use.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

  6. #111
    Elite Member McJag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    42,521

    Default

    Dishwasher use hotter water than you possibly can thus killing more bacteria. 120 degrees. Just sayin'...
    shedevilang likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

  7. #112
    Elite Member Sarzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    17,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    Maybe not the washer, but the dryer definitely. My grandparents didn't get one until their kids were grown. They would hang their clothes out on a line in the backyard, or if it was raining, in the laundry room, to dry. Even now that they have a dryer, my grandmother still prefers to line dry her clothes.
    My parents have never used a dryer. Most of the washing goes on the washing line in the garden or the radiator. They've never had a dishwasher either and do fine without. So I got used to not needing those things.
    I do think there are quite a few things people could go without if money is really tight, because I agree so many expensive gadgets and things are seen as 'essential' now.

  8. #113
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    34,678

    Default

    Clorox kills all the germs on dishes as well. The white god. I use it everytime I've cooked eggs or had raw chicken in a dish.

    I don't like to wash dishes but I can if I have to. I couldn't dry clothes outside in the cold weather. And many people living in apartments or condos couldn't do it even in warm weather. It all depends on your circumstances.



    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  9. #114
    Elite Member McJag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    42,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    My parents have never used a dryer. Most of the washing goes on the washing line in the garden or the radiator. They've never had a dishwasher either and do fine without. So I got used to not needing those things.
    I do think there are quite a few things people could go without if money is really tight, because I agree so many expensive gadgets and things are seen as 'essential' now.
    There is a difference now, most wives work. Those expensive gadgets (and really, not all that expensive unless you get top-of-the-line) are life savers for people hard pressed for time after working an 8 hour day.
    shedevilang likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

  10. #115
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    34,678

    Default

    think about what housework would be like without some of the things we take for granted. ugh.



    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  11. #116
    Elite Member Sarzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    17,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    There is a difference now, most wives work. Those expensive gadgets (and really, not all that expensive unless you get top-of-the-line) are life savers for people hard pressed for time after working an 8 hour day.
    I wasn't really thinking of dryers when I said expensive gadgets, more like people who need the latest phones etc etc. I can see how dryers can be essential especially if you don't have a garden, I don't think dishwashers are a necessity though.

  12. #117
    Elite Member sluce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Top Secret Spy for Leann Rimes
    Posts
    37,383

    Default

    Late to the party but...

    1. Why the hell are all of you intelligent people feeding that troll?

    2. I make no apology for the wealth I have. I have a nice house. I have 2 nice cars. I work damned hard for all I have and I employ others. I pay my fair share in taxes and am willing to pay more. I meet with my accountant every quarter and he does his job of finding me every legal tax break that is available. The upside is that reducing my tax obligation allows me to contribute more to healthcare for my team. It also allows us to provide probono work each year.

    3. I do not have a problem with paying a higher tax rate on dividends and investment proceeds. I already paid taxes on the income I then invested. Now I should pay the same rate on the new "income" I receive as a result of that investment. I am not being taxed again on the base value - just the profit.

    4. I will NOT give up my dishwasher (it uses less water than hand washing) or my washer and dryer.

    5. The one problem I have when people discuss taxes is that most forget to also include the tax refund they received. I hear people bitch that they earned 60k and paid 8.5k in taxes. Then they file their income tax return, take all allowable deductions and get a refund of 4k. They still bitch that they paid 8.5k in taxes when in reality they contributed just 4.5k. Most also lump all taxes together and forget to break out what is for SS, state, muni, etc.


    Here's a fun site: The Salary Calculator - Take-Home Tax Calculator
    The Salary Calculator - Take-Home Tax Calculator
    OrangeSlice likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

  13. #118
    Elite Member MontanaMama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Evading P6 & P7
    Posts
    14,157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post

    3. I do not have a problem with paying a higher tax rate on dividends and investment proceeds. I already paid taxes on the income I then invested. Now I should pay the same rate on the new "income" I receive as a result of that investment. I am not being taxed again on the base value - just the profit.
    That's the Romney/Buffett conundrum. They never initially worked to earn the money, paid income taxes, and then invested. They are getting the benefit of what, to me, is common sense policy but they don't fit the rationale for the lower tax rate. That and the corporate loopholes, makes no sense.

    I've already explained my manifest involvement in this thread. I'm lonely, I have lots of opinions and no one to listen to them.
    sluce, greysfang and hustle4alivin like this.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

  14. #119
    Elite Member greysfang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Burning Down Your Windmill
    Posts
    56,280

    Default

    Sheesh, I have a 5 person/3 pet family with three boys in sports. My husband and I are both white collar, so most of our laundry goes to the dry cleaners. Even with that, we still do shit tons of laundry every week. I think we could survive without a washer/dryer and dishwasher, but I'm not willing to test to find out. I could hang a line in the back yard because its huge, and I do love line-dried clothes, but who has the damn time anymore? I managed to squeeze a couple hours out of every week to make bread from scratch, because its cheaper with three growing boys eating their damn heads off, but I honestly don't see how I could squeeze out more time to do laundry and dishes by hand, even with all that help (and they do all help, wouldn't live in my house if they didn't).

    We pay an assload of taxes every year in two different countries, so no one could ever say we don't do our fair share, but we don't live "rich". We live in an average family neighborhood of ranch-style houses from the 70s and I couldn't be happier. My husband just got a new car but only because his was in a crash, otherwise his car was 7 years old and mine is 13 years old. The two 16yo's will not get a car until they earn enough to buy their own and pay the insurance (the 16yo nephew who lives with us has parents who have the same mindset we do). We will be able to put both my boys through college and retire on time and comfortably because we don't get loans other than the mortage and we don't use credit cards, we have one each for emergencies, and my husband has his company credit card that he travels on, and that's it. Our bills are mortgage, utilities, insurance and that's pretty much it. Its really not hard to live well while living under your means.

    That was a helluva ramble, I had a point in there somewhere.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

    http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

  15. #120
    Elite Member sluce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Top Secret Spy for Leann Rimes
    Posts
    37,383

    Default

    I got your point Greys!

    I'll bet you pay a shit load more in taxes for your husband's country too.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: March 28th, 2012, 02:47 PM
  2. Stephen King is full of shit
    By Eli in forum Books and Literature
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: November 29th, 2010, 11:01 PM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: December 16th, 2009, 02:58 AM
  4. The Stand - Stephen King
    By Eli in forum Books and Literature
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: August 8th, 2008, 01:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •