Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Like Tree236Likes

Thread: Stephen King: Tax Me, for F**k’s Sake!

Quote Originally Posted by monk View Post
    You mean the charts where I specifically stated that I didn't trust the source and would let the experts here explain them? Those charts?
    If the chart is worthless, except as a propaganda tool, why bother posting it?
    shedevilang likes this.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Statistician's Blues - YouTube
    Posted from my iPhone
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Lies, damned lies & statistics.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    If the chart is worthless, except as a propaganda tool, why bother posting it?

I actually looked up the second one as per MG's question. I have no idea if it's good or not and figured if it was crap they'd debunk it.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Originally Posted by southernbelle
    I don't believe that some people being required to pay a higher percentage than others does equate to "everyone paying their fair share." In "Effective Government Tax Rates Under Current Law: 2001-2014" the Congressional Budget Office indicated that the bottom 40% pays only 6.1% in taxes. The top 40% paid almost 85% of taxes, with the top 10% paying around 58% of that.

You could look at it another way - the bottom 40% of the country have only 1.2% of the financial wealth, but pay 6.1% in taxes. Why aren't they paying taxes that are more in correlation with their wealth, or percent of the pie?

Conversely, the top 10% of the country owns 71% of the wealth but pays only 58% of the taxes. Why aren't they paying a percentage that is more proportionate to their ownership of wealth in this country?

The information you've posted is very helpful. But there's one part that I can't really get past. That's the way the topic is always discussed with percentages rather than actual cash.

How is it fair that a billionaire pays millions of dollars in taxes and a regular joe pays thousands. I try to understand the "ethical patriotism" angle but at the end of the day what makes it fair for someone who is rich to pay more cash than someone who isn't rich? I can understand someone who pays millions of dollars in tax returns being frustrated at being asked to pay more.

Elite Member

How is it fair that a billionaire pays millions of dollars in taxes and a regular joe pays thousands. I try to understand the "ethical patriotism" angle but at the end of the day what makes it fair for someone who is rich to pay more cash than someone who isn't rich? I can understand who pays millions of dollars in tax returns being frustrated at being asked to pay more.
    I think you are on the right track. It would make a lot of sense if someone who makes $24K a year pays $20K of it in taxes, and someone who makes $2 million a year also pays $20K in taxes. That should make everybody happy, AND generate the revenue we need to support our massive defense spending.
    sluce and Kathie_Moffett like this.

what makes it fair for someone who is rich to pay more cash than someone who isn't rich?
    You're kidding, right?
    dexter7 likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

what is, I don't even.. i just... *Facepalm*
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    what is, I don't even.. i just... *Facepalm*
    Don't even try sweetheart....not worth your time.
    shedevilang likes this.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I think these are the kinds of posts that southernbelle was referring to.

I don't mean that everyone should pay the same taxes. Obviously the poor can't pay the same as the rich and if the rich paid the same as the poor the country would go broke.

I'm just not understanding why if a person is already paying millions upon millions of dollars, that the solution is to get them to pay more. I'm not saying it's wrong, I just can understand someone getting annoyed by it.

Example, years ago I worked in a restaurant and busted my but working. I made great tips. The end of the night we had to pool tips and I'd go home with less than I knew I had personally earned because the other waiters were lazy and didn't give a damn. So basically they screwed up and I paid out of my share to bring them up.

I know that's not the same thing. But what I don't get is say I make $100 and the other waiter makes $40 because they don't know how to build a check or whatnot.

Let's say we're supposed to tip out the bus boy at least $20 a night. If we each pay ten percent I'm going to pay $10 and they will pay $4. But that turns out not to be enough.

Why is it fair for me to pay the whole $6 since the other person only made $40. If we each tip out $10 isn't that more fair? If I tip out $16 then I'm being kind because I know I'm still going home with $84. That's much more than the other person. If we each tipped out $10 I'd go home with $90 and they would with $30. But I earned it. So say they ask me to tip out the whole $20. Wouldn't that seem unfair to most people?

Well if you're going to extrapolate your example to tax rates, my answer would be that...Your manager gave you the prime tables, every day, only tables that had groups with predetermined and guaranteed tips. In addition, you had 3-4 colleagues whose sole job it was to ensure that you continued to get those tables no matter what, they are relentless, they will lie, obfuscate, pay bribes to keep you in your station. Your colleague was only give 2 two-tops every day and almost always seated with teenagers. After some time, your colleague came to believe that they would never get a table that might tip better and you came to expect the guaranteed tips. So you can complain about the unfairness of tipping out more than your colleague, but the system was completely rigged for your benefit from the beginning.
    monk likes this.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Tipping the bus boy and everyone paying their fair share in federal taxes is comparing apples to artichokes.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

some of the posts in this thread require this

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    Well if you're going to extrapolate your example to tax rates, my answer would be that...Your manager gave you the prime tables, every day, only tables that had groups with predetermined and guaranteed tips. In addition, you had 3-4 colleagues whose sole job it was to ensure that you continued to get those tables no matter what, they are relentless, they will lie, obfuscate, pay bribes to keep you in your station. Your colleague was only give 2 two-tops every day and almost always seated with teenagers. After some time, your colleague came to believe that they would never get a table that might tip better and you came to expect the guaranteed tips. So you can complain about the unfairness of tipping out more than your colleague, but the system was completely rigged for your benefit from the beginning.

Ok that makes it clear. The system is basically set up that rich get richer based on ways they can manipulate things. Thanks for being kind and explaining it. It's always been something that confused me.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread Information