Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718
Like Tree236Likes

Thread: Stephen King: Tax Me, for F**k’s Sake!

Originally Posted by MontanaMama
    No it is NOT fair. How dare you presume that a woman cannot given careful consideration before ever going to see the doctor without the State of Texas (or any of these other states) mandating it. And if she doesn't? Who cares, whose actual biological, financial, emotional, educational business is it except for the woman's and increasingly hopefully the father's? It is her body, her life and her decision. If she decides to have a baby, then her life becomes one that must forever consider the best welfare of another human being. Until the time that the fetus has the biological capabilities to exist not as a parasite, it is not a person. It does not have rights and some simple research indicates that this particular story did not involve pain to the fetus. How dare a political entity or you decree or support what conversations a doctor must have with his or patients.

ETA: No Monk, you are not pro-choice. In the first trimester a description of the "condition" of the fetus cannot be done without an internal ultrasound. Consider the fact that what you are is a proponent of state sanctioned and state mandated rape.

that was the first lol
    sluce and McJag like this.
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    My mom got her degree in math, got married to my dad, had me, and then went back to work (software engineer) about four weeks later. Then, she had my brother, and he was born premature, and she dropped out of the workforce and Georgetown grad school.

They loved her at work and offered to give her stock options (or some other alternate compensation) if she was in danger of making more than my dad. But she walked away from it. I used to think it was because of my brother's health, but she said that she never intended to work again once she started a family. She was awesome, and great at helping with math - all the way through high school and calculus.
    No disrespect Mohandas, but that was 6495425656 years ago..... LOL!

Srly, that was what that generation did, if you came from the middle classes (my Oma worked through the majority of her marriage, in no small part due to my Opa being blacklisted & therefore unemployable during WWII); thus my own mother's expectations were to work, but this wasn't the "norm" even in the 70s.
    Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    I'm not going to work after I get married. My fiance and I decided this was the best choice for us for a few reasons. He works 10-12 hour shifts which could be on any day of the week. He doesn't have a lot of control over his schedule right now. It's rare for him to have a weekend off, and when he gets home, he sometimes needs to sleep during the day or at weird times. He's just on a very different schedule than I would be on with a 9-5. Because of the nature of his job, changing his schedule is not an option.

With me staying home, I'll be able to do all of the household chores while he's working, so when he's home, we are truly able to spend that time doing what we want to do instead of scrambling to get chores done that we haven't had any other time for because we were both at work. I was able to spend 2 weeks with him in December, and we tested this out. I didn't get bored - cooking all of the meals, cleaning the house, doing all of the laundry, and running all of the necessary errands for both of us is a full time job! There was not as much down-time as one might expect.

I think this is a personal decision. Some people feel driven to pursue a demanding career, or enjoy the challenges and structure (or daily variety) that work provides, and some people don't. I don't think either is better than the other or right or wrong... it's just a matter of personal preference.

I personally prefer more domestic tasks without the stress and chaos of a work environment. Even though I don't particularly like washing dishes or cleaning my toilet, I'd rather be in the comfort of my own home all day, with the freedom that that provides, than in an office job.
    Actually, It doesn't if done right. I've had to take time off work and even when I was ill I managed to run all of the errands (& I got given a lot!) clean & manage his mother and still have LOTS of time to sit on my arse surfing the internet! How do you think I got such a high post count? LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    I think it's the one thing that drives me nutso about the politics of being a woman - there is no right way. If you take yourself seriously as a distinct person and if you have children and take the job of raising them to be responsible, independent, assets to the world seriously, and if you have enough self-awareness to know how to straddle the line and you do not visit your choices on the rest of society then there is no right or wrong answer.

I did not find MY highest value as a person to have been a stay at home mom. I outgrew my interest in 24/7 parenting when my daughter was about two and we moved into the glitter/craft phase of childhood (*shudder*). But, I am a great mom. Like really great and I had enough self-awareness to know that it would have been detrimental to both of us for me not to surround her with people who didn't start convulsing at the sign of glitter (*double shudder*). Not by my own choice, I'm a single parent (well it would be my choice now, but I'm not the one that walked away) and so my choices were a little more predetermined. Lucky to have lots of support from family (financial and some emotional), but we still had to make choices as a family that benefit both of us.

Women have to stop defining the choices of other women - and hell it would also help if old fat rich white men without a clue in the world stopped mandating all life choices for women (but that's a different manifesto).
    I agree, and I think my mother, my aunts, their friends that I am able to have the CHOICE to work or not work.

Just something to think about, those of you taking a few years off work. That is what I did, 5 years. When it comes to the length of time in the 401k, etc, you fall behind and can never catch up. I did really well and made more money than I ever thought possible. Still, there would have been much more without that time off.

Another thing, a few years back, my neighbors asked me to watch their two year olds daily daycare video, in case he was being neglected. That was a real eye opener. I always felt sorry for toddlers in daycare. Silly me. Those kids had a ball. Activity, naps and once in a while they would all start hugging each other, so cute. The whole big room was kid friendly, climping stairs, dolls galore and toy cars all over. You can watch from work,too.

That changed my mind real fast. My kid was playing, usually with no playmates. We did all kinds of things together, but I wasn't 3 and could not climb under the chairs with him.
    I was wrong.
    The daycare kids were not the ones to feel sorry for, he was. I shortchanged him and my retirement for naught. Just sayin'.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Just something to think about, those of you taking a few years off work. That is what I did, 5 years. When it comes to the length of time in the 401k, etc, you fall behind and can never catch up. I did really well and made more money than I ever thought possible. Still, there would have been much more without that time off.

Another thing, a few years back, my neighbors asked me to watch their two year olds daily daycare video, in case he was being neglected. That was a real eye opener. I always felt sorry for toddlers in daycare. Silly me. Those kids had a ball. Activity, naps and once in a while they would all start hugging each other, so cute. The whole big room was kid friendly, climping stairs, dolls galore and toy cars all over. You can watch from work,too.

That changed my mind real fast. My kid was playing, usually with no playmates. We did all kinds of things together, but I wasn't 3 and could not climb under the chairs with him.
    I was wrong.
    The daycare kids were not the ones to feel sorry for, he was. I shortchanged him and my retirement for naught. Just sayin'.
    That is a very interesting perspective McJag,

My youngest is 2. My mom presently watches him, but I'm going to put him into a twice per week 2 year old program in the fall. He needs other interaction with kids, rather than hanging with Grandma all the time.

Speaking of stay at home parents, I never did it, except when I was employed for a few months. Funny how SAHM would always find something to complain about until one day I said, "Wow, since I've been home, it's great. I don't know what you guys are always complaining about." They looked at me and said, "Oh, we never complain." Um, ok.

Hubby is getting ready to become at SAHD. I am at the point where if I expand and grow my business, someone has to take over more of my parental duties with kids. So hubby's been off work for the past 6 weeks as a trial run. He may go back to something part time, but this is the plan for now.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread Information