Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast
Like Tree236Likes

Thread: Stephen King: Tax Me, for F**k’s Sake!

I also know a ton of people who have business degrees, but STILL failed at owning their own business. A business degree is not the precursor in being successful at owning your own business.

A degree does open doors for interviews and jobs, but it doesn't mean you will be anymore successful at work than a person with no degree. It all depends on the person.

To the poster that mentioned about 50% of electricians out of work, I think it depends on where you live. Here, I don't know 1 electrician out of work. There's a factory hear hiring electricians at $26/hr, $19 if you just finished your apprenticeship.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

czb

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    . . . A degree does open doors for interviews and jobs, but it doesn't mean you will be anymore successful at work than a person with no degree. It all depends on the person.

. . . .
    i agree with this. but 'successful' is very subjective. do you mean earn lots of money? is content? a college degree is not required.

I also know a ton of people who have business degrees, but STILL failed at owning their own business. A business degree is not the precursor in being successful at owning your own business.

A degree does open doors for interviews and jobs, but it doesn't mean you will be anymore successful at work than a person with no degree. It all depends on the person.

To the poster that mentioned about 50% of electricians out of work, I think it depends on where you live. Here, I don't know 1 electrician out of work. There's a factory hear hiring electricians at $26/hr, $19 if you just finished your apprenticeship.
    It wasn't me, but I'd love to move for the work, but the Mr won't/can't. If I could I'd get him to emigrate, but its not going to happen.

No one has said a degree will make you a success but the business skill learned are a great benefit.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

There are lots of studies and reports about the value of a high school diploma, undergraduate degree and graduate degree over the working lifetime of the recipient. College isn't right for everyone, which makes it doubly sad that we have decimated our manufacturing economy in the US. There are very few pathways to prosperity that don't go through college.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/21/ed...21college.html
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    I don't understand the concept of working and then quitting once you're married. Why go through the hassle of going to college, getting an education, joining the workforce, only to stop simply because you have a ring? If kids are part of the equation, I totally get it - childcare is damn expensive. I mean, if you want to, and you can afford it, whatever helps you sleep at night, but I would be bored out of my gourd. Not to mention, if the marriage doesn't work out, it'll be that much harder to rejoin the rat race after having been out of the game for so long.
    My mom got her degree in math, got married to my dad, had me, and then went back to work (software engineer) about four weeks later. Then, she had my brother, and he was born premature, and she dropped out of the workforce and Georgetown grad school.

They loved her at work and offered to give her stock options (or some other alternate compensation) if she was in danger of making more than my dad. But she walked away from it. I used to think it was because of my brother's health, but she said that she never intended to work again once she started a family. She was awesome, and great at helping with math - all the way through high school and calculus.

Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    I don't understand the concept of working and then quitting once you're married. Why go through the hassle of going to college, getting an education, joining the workforce, only to stop simply because you have a ring? If kids are part of the equation, I totally get it - childcare is damn expensive. I mean, if you want to, and you can afford it, whatever helps you sleep at night, but I would be bored out of my gourd. Not to mention, if the marriage doesn't work out, it'll be that much harder to rejoin the rat race after having been out of the game for so long.
    Maybe I should post this in unpopular opinion, but I just don't get it.
    I'm not going to work after I get married. My fiance and I decided this was the best choice for us for a few reasons. He works 10-12 hour shifts which could be on any day of the week. He doesn't have a lot of control over his schedule right now. It's rare for him to have a weekend off, and when he gets home, he sometimes needs to sleep during the day or at weird times. He's just on a very different schedule than I would be on with a 9-5. Because of the nature of his job, changing his schedule is not an option.

With me staying home, I'll be able to do all of the household chores while he's working, so when he's home, we are truly able to spend that time doing what we want to do instead of scrambling to get chores done that we haven't had any other time for because we were both at work. I was able to spend 2 weeks with him in December, and we tested this out. I didn't get bored - cooking all of the meals, cleaning the house, doing all of the laundry, and running all of the necessary errands for both of us is a full time job! There was not as much down-time as one might expect.

I think this is a personal decision. Some people feel driven to pursue a demanding career, or enjoy the challenges and structure (or daily variety) that work provides, and some people don't. I don't think either is better than the other or right or wrong... it's just a matter of personal preference.

I personally prefer more domestic tasks without the stress and chaos of a work environment. Even though I don't particularly like washing dishes or cleaning my toilet, I'd rather be in the comfort of my own home all day, with the freedom that that provides, than in an office job.

The snobby mom would told me that her kid's are expected to go to ivy league universities (that she will pay for) went to a pricey private university, got a MBA, racked up 100k in debt, worked for 2 years and then married a successful banker that she met in grad school (who is a good dad, but cheats on her). She hasn't worked since.

In front of me she told her 2 daughters (4 and 7) that there is no other option but college, they have to go no matter what. Then she told them they had to do well at school so they could get into the best schools so they can have a career and also get a successful husband because "smart boys that have a lot going for them only date girls who also do well at school, you want an educated husband, he won't date girls that aren't good enough." I had to stop my jaw from hitting the floor. Maybe they will take her advice and end up just like her- a wife that is talked down to and cheated on, but stays because he gives her a nice lifestyle and is a good father despite being a shitty husband. Shit, I just want my future son in laws to love my daughters, respect them and be good dads, I don't give a shit about their jobs or education, just be good them and make them happy. Lol

Eta: this wasn't a response to you SB, your situation makes a lot of sense.

Elite Member

My friend has an engineering degree from MIT. She quit her job to raise her 2 kids, then went back to work around the time she divorced and her youngest was about 10 years old (she wound up being out of the workforce for about 15 years). There is no doubt that her earning power suffered due to her hiatus and getting back up to speed on current technology, but now that she's been back at work for a few years her salary has started to climb up. She loved being able to stay home with her kids when they were little and you can tell they really benefited from having an educated mom who stayed home with them. But she also likes what she does and needed to be able to support herself away from her douche-bag husband.

I don't know if she realizes how lucky she is that she's able to go back to a well-paying career that she loves despite a shitty economy.

I think it's the one thing that drives me nutso about the politics of being a woman - there is no right way. If you take yourself seriously as a distinct person and if you have children and take the job of raising them to be responsible, independent, assets to the world seriously, and if you have enough self-awareness to know how to straddle the line and you do not visit your choices on the rest of society then there is no right or wrong answer.

I did not find MY highest value as a person to have been a stay at home mom. I outgrew my interest in 24/7 parenting when my daughter was about two and we moved into the glitter/craft phase of childhood (*shudder*). But, I am a great mom. Like really great and I had enough self-awareness to know that it would have been detrimental to both of us for me not to surround her with people who didn't start convulsing at the sign of glitter (*double shudder*). Not by my own choice, I'm a single parent (well it would be my choice now, but I'm not the one that walked away) and so my choices were a little more predetermined. Lucky to have lots of support from family (financial and some emotional), but we still had to make choices as a family that benefit both of us.

Women have to stop defining the choices of other women - and hell it would also help if old fat rich white men without a clue in the world stopped mandating all life choices for women (but that's a different manifesto).
    CornFlakegrl, greysfang and sluce like this.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    I think it's the one thing that drives me nutso about the politics of being a woman - there is no right way. If you take yourself seriously as a distinct person and if you have children and take the job of raising them to be responsible, independent, assets to the world seriously, and if you have enough self-awareness to know how to straddle the line and you do not visit your choices on the rest of society then there is no right or wrong answer.

I did not find MY highest value as a person to have been a stay at home mom. I outgrew my interest in 24/7 parenting when my daughter was about two and we moved into the glitter/craft phase of childhood (*shudder*). But, I am a great mom. Like really great and I had enough self-awareness to know that it would have been detrimental to both of us for me not to surround her with people who didn't start convulsing at the sign of glitter (*double shudder*). Not by my own choice, I'm a single parent (well it would be my choice now, but I'm not the one that walked away) and so my choices were a little more predetermined. Lucky to have lots of support from family (financial and some emotional), but we still had to make choices as a family that benefit both of us.

Women have to stop defining the choices of other women - and hell it would also help if old fat rich white men without a clue in the world stopped mandating all life choices for women (but that's a different manifesto).
    The second smartest thing I've ever seen you post
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Well that comes with a caveat - I still reserve the right to call a twat a twat, a ho a ho, a stupid fucking piece of shit a stupid fucking piece of shit (you get the idea) if I so choose no matter how supportive I am of the right to make the choices she makes.
    shedevilang and greysfang like this.

I have a college degree and I stay home, but I intend to go back to work in a few years. I really don't care what other mothers choose to do, work because they have to or work because they want to, stay home, etc. Even if I never go to work again, I still think my college education is valuable as a mother. I think mothers/women should do what's best for their own situation and family, whatever that may be.

Woot woot, one more and I have the official shedevil seal of approval! (*think of something smart, think of something smart*)

czb

so what's the first?

MM posts lots of good stuff.
    MontanaMama likes this.

Thread Information