Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree236Likes

Thread: Stephen King: Tax Me, for F**k’s Sake!

Quote Originally Posted by hustle4alivin View Post
    Now I want some damn carne asada fries, creamsicles, and a sock-it-to-me cake. Ya'll evil!

Did someone say Sock-It-To-Me cake??!!
    hustle4alivin likes this.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    Did someone say Sock-It-To-Me cake??!!
    Why yes, yes I did...

Have I stumbled onto the "Differences in British/American English" thread by mistake? Because I have NFI what "carne asada fries, creamsicles, and a sock-it-to-me cake" are.
    Novice likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Every thread dissolves into a food scenario.

Cilantro still sucks - even here.

Air Quotes likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by hustle4alivin View Post
    Why yes, yes I did...

See, Imma get someone to make me one
    Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    Have I stumbled onto the "Differences in British/American English" thread by mistake? Because I have NFI what "carne asada fries, creamsicles, and a sock-it-to-me cake" are.
    Google'em all!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Nah, too lazy. I'll just wait for pics/explanations to be posted on this thread. I mean, we're done talking about tax now, right?
    Novice likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    Ugh I'm in the midst of sending my kid to college. She had a scholarship that paid tuition to a community college and now she is transferring. I would love for her not to be in debt up to her eyeballs when she gets out trying to have student loans to pay for it all so it is going to take some serious manipulations. The cost is ridiculous plus she will have to live away from home and how the hell is that going to get paid for? Did I mention I was rich? The government thinks so even though I'm a single mom and her POS father never paid support. Mindblowing.
    OMG! Thank you, for saying that! Now, at this point in my life, I DO make too much money to qualify for any breaks with the schools and such... but 10 years ago? My son wasn't allowed to go to PUBLIC preschool because I made too much money. I was stupefied... I told them if they could take a look at my bills and compare it to my income and still tell me that shit, I'd believe them. "Oh no ma'am, we don't do that. We only have a limited number of slots for PUBLIC preschool and we like to fill those with kids who REALLY need it... you know, children who don't speak English (please don't anyone turn this into an anti ESL rant) and children with special needs. Don't you think those kids need it more?" Actually, no I don't! I threw an adult tantrum over that shit and then STILL wound up having to pay for my kid to attend a private preschool. My main argument with them was "Don't call it public (because PUBLIC means it's available to EVERYONE) when it ain't fucking PUBLIC"! My kid isn't part of the public because his mom has a fucking job and isn't below the poverty line? kiss my ass!
    Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    This is what I do, and we don't have a big house.
    Also, I've lived in flats & houses with no outside space & have never had a tumble drier.
    This is exactly how I feel about it, however, I think that you may have worded it better than I did.

Ah! I hadn't thought of bleach in my washing up water, I tend to use a anti-bacteria when I need it though.
    Hold on a minute McJag.
    I work TWO jobs, I wash up by hand (even though I hate it, it does only take 5-10 mins), I have never owned a tumbler dryer, not because they are expensive to buy (they're not) but because of the cost of running them would DOUBLE my electricity bill - as it is its around £70/month.
    I don't own a dishwasher either, because we have a septic system & the water overflow drains into our fields, & I am not sure that caustic acid would be good for the cows.

I have just filled up with gas & it cost me $9/US gallon, so you can imagine what our electricity costs. The UK national average wage is around £25k/a; however, we pay the same in numbers (ie if you pay a dollar, we pay a pound - which is around 1.5-1.7 depending on the exchange rate).
    I LOVE traveling to the US, I buy a whole new wardrobe for really cheap & buy a new suitcase to send it home in. Heck, I've even bought a new comforter one year....

I still buy stuff from the US on Ebay & sells say to me "the postage is really expensive" well, guess what, even spending $30-$40 on postage and its STILL cheaper to buy it from the US..... Now, isn't that crazy!

The one thing that brought it home for me recently (on here) was the comment about a (stackable) stereo system & Greys posted a pic of a non-stackable. That would cost £500 here, which is more than my mortgage payment & I just wanted to make the point that we don't have that kind of disposable income

Are you sure? LOL!

However, I love the way Americans describe food (like the bread here) sometimes!

MY sympathies! I hate sinus infections.

Damn! That diet thing must be working, that doesn't look appealing at all to me right now.....

BBDSP - I live in the UK - however, even I have had a wake up call recently. I went back to Prague last xmas & saw it with re-newed eyes. They have a big, big Tescos (supermarket) in the middle of Prague, full of brightly colored, packaged food, compared with the local shops. It actually looked obscene to my eyes & we shopped in the local stores for preference. It shocked my how disgusted I was by the conspicuous consumption that was available. But maybe I was just more concious of it?

Yes, I grew up in a nice middle class home. I had piano lessons & speak french, had a broad education of the arts because of my father, etc, etc. We have one car til I was 17-18. We have a black & white TV til it stopped working (I think I was 13?), IIRC I was the last one of my circle to get a color tv (which would make my sister 15; she's now 47 to give you an idea).
    Yes, the houses are smaller. I based my comments on posters comments here about "I couldn't live in that pokey place" in the houses threads...
    But again, the UK is different to other places in the EU. Again the hotel we stay in in Prague is practically "no star" in US terms, but I like the communist era furniture, the beds are comfy & its warm in winter with abundent hot water. Very bauhaus! LOL!

When I went to college, my Pa paid our living expenses but now parents have to pay the tuition fees too, I don't know how people manage. When we talk of adopting, I always remind the Mr that I'd like to be able to afford to send the adoptees to university if they want to go...
    As for you comments on health care, well that just breaks my heart. If the UK goes the same way as the US, well, we won't be able to afford any health care & as a cancer survivor, I'm probably uninsurable...

I didn't mean for this to turn into a long-ass post, but some days, I just think how lucky I am.... I wanted to share that...
    I love small places ... less room for junk and easier to clean up. I agree with you, I AM thankful for what I do have... It may not look like much to a lot of people, but it's MINE! I paid for all of it and that adds an extra shine to it in my eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    It pisses me off that the Mexican food at the cheapest, crappiest taqueria in SD is still world's better than the Mexican food at the 'best' restaurants here.

Plus, I'm a big fan of the simple stuff--a carne asada taco, carnitas, or rice and beans, not everything covered with sauce and cheese. Sigh. I did just make some excellent barbacoa the other day, and that helped calm me down a bit.
    As someone living in Texas .... I pity you. I can't walk a block without running into some delicous Mexican food.. and I lurve it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    I agree. I think a lot of people in the UK don't realise how lucky they are to have free health care. If I lived in the US I'd go bankrupt.
    Shit, a lot of us in the US are going bankrupt too...
    Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    Both my parents grew up during the Depression, and even though my father was very successful and we splurged on stuff like fine dining and there was plenty of money socked away for college, my parents lived pretty simply and didn't go overboard on us.

I really don't understand how people can let their kids grow up thinking their happiness is dependent on everyone in the family having their own laptop, or getting a car when they turn 16. That way of thinking is so foreign to me. The irony is that my parents could have afforded a lot more stuff but they didn't think kids needed a lot of that shit and I tend to agree. I've had a lot of discussion with my oldest daughter recently about how nice it is when you are in college or just starting out before you have this mound of material shit and debt to weigh you down.

My kids think I'm ape-shit. But I like the freedom that stufflessness gives you.

I also think the US standard of living does not necessarily translate into better quality of life--sometimes the contrary, in fact.
    I agree with you completely. Too many people equate happiness with the latest doodad and gadget and bullshit. Until they are surrounded by shit they don't use or need or give a fuck about. They just need it to carry around for a bit so everyone knows that they DO have it.
    Quote Originally Posted by NVash View Post
    So youve heard my tale before. Late 20s, finally went back to college. I screwed my credit when I was a kid. Mom told me the crucial rule to having a credit card. Buy only what you can afford. I did just that. Id buy a few DVDs and pay it off that month. Worked perfect... until I lost my job. Then I started getting hit with fees left and right because I couldnt pay anything. I couldnt pay the minimum fee, then it went over the limit so they doubled the fee for being over the limit. Destroyed my credit. I eventually got back on my feet and this is the problem. I found jobs to never be reliable. Theyd fire you on a dime just because they could. I found jobs paying good money. I also found out what its like to be laid off. I never moved out of Moms house. One day I decided to go back to school. She wanted me out and dang it I wanted out. My little $8/hr job wasnt cutting it, especially when they werent trying to give over 20hrs/wk. Were now three years later. Mom had to cosign last year for my school loan. Im sadly going to have to ask her again. Im not going into my problems in depth, suffice it to say that Im up a creek if she doesnt. I lost my place and have to move back in with her. I work two jobs. I cant make ends meet.

And then we have the real kicker. What of the loans? I get bills for them. I dont look at them. I put them away in a folder. I dont want to know what I owe. Call me stupid but I cant pay it now so why look? I can barely pay my cheap behind rent. Its all very depressing because you take a moment and look at Yahoo, look on most any site and they talk about how college people cant find jobs. I couldnt find a job without an education. I went to get one and this is what you tell me? What do I need to do to get a decent job?! How can we be allowed to suffer like this? When will this madness end?

And please dont tell me something about "Oh thats America". The jacked up economy is again, last I checked, a worldwide issue.

So I dont know the answer. Heck, I dont know the problem. America sold out to corporations? Maybe. But I daresay if its like that then who you vote for wont matter at all. And I also daresay that such a thing might be global. In which case, we might have a problem on our hands. Everybody wants to say "Get out of America" but who can even afford to travel much less uproot their lives? Whos to say its better over there? Its a jacked up situation all around.
    I believe I've seen several articles lately that will tell you that too many people are getting college educations now. The guys who are going to make the money and get the jobs are the guys that are going to these trade-school type places... our plumbers, electricians, air conditioner repairmen - shit like that. Its amazing to think of but if you think of the guys that bill you the most, those are the professions to be in now.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Elite Member

I believe I've seen several articles lately that will tell you that too many people are getting college educations now. The guys who are going to make the money and get the jobs are the guys that are going to these trade-school type places... our plumbers, electricians, air conditioner repairmen - shit like that. Its amazing to think of but if you think of the guys that bill you the most, those are the professions to be in now.
    And these are jobs that can't really be off-shored. That's another key.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    OMG! Thank you, for saying that! Now, at this point in my life, I DO make too much money to qualify for any breaks with the schools and such... but 10 years ago? My son wasn't allowed to go to PUBLIC preschool because I made too much money. I was stupefied... I told them if they could take a look at my bills and compare it to my income and still tell me that shit, I'd believe them. "Oh no ma'am, we don't do that. We only have a limited number of slots for PUBLIC preschool and we like to fill those with kids who REALLY need it... you know, children who don't speak English (please don't anyone turn this into an anti ESL rant) and children with special needs. Don't you think those kids need it more?" Actually, no I don't! I threw an adult tantrum over that shit and then STILL wound up having to pay for my kid to attend a private preschool. My main argument with them was "Don't call it public (because PUBLIC means it's available to EVERYONE) when it ain't fucking PUBLIC"! My kid isn't part of the public because his mom has a fucking job and isn't below the poverty line? kiss my ass!
    That is exactly what I said. Please look at my bills! Yes we have food and roof over our heads and I make good money for where I am but damnit I've got bills to pay. They told me to apply again if my circumstances changed. I said like what, if I lose my job? Well hell then I won't have a house or car to worry about paying for!!!
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

We had the exact same thing happen when my parents tried to enroll my brother and sister in preschool at our neighborhood public elementary school. Because they spoke English and were not "economically disadvantaged" they weren't allowed to enroll, despite the fact that we were zoned to that school and it's funded by taxpayer money. Personally, I think that if the public school wants to turn away your child, who is zoned to that school, so that they can offer its spaces to only a select group of kids, the district should be responsible for reimbursing you the cost of private school tuition. If it's a public school it needs to be open to everyone. If it's not open to everyone, it's private, and the kids attending need to be paying tuition. The neighborhood residents shouldn't have to pay taxes to fund a public school that their kids aren't allowed to attend.

Or, perhaps, you can lobby your state legislatures to keep them from cutting funding for education. Or, you could vote 'yes' when the school funding bonds show up on a ballot. Local school boards are only allocated so many slots for pre and kindergarten.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    Or, perhaps, you can lobby your state legislatures to keep them from cutting funding for education. Or, you could vote 'yes' when the school funding bonds show up on a ballot. Local school boards are only allocated so many slots for pre and kindergarten.
    And those slots should be equally available to all students who are zoned to that school and filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Not distributed to hand-selected kids on the basis of race, ethnicity, or the socioeconomic status of their parents.

If it's a private school, then they can start discriminating in terms of who they'll accept. But a public school funded by the tax dollars of its district's residents should not be able to turn away kids who are zoned to that school on the basis of race, ethnicity, or socioeconomic status.

Well you could think of it this way...if the more disadvantaged students don't get a year's head start on more advantaged students, they could hold the class back for years and take a disproportionate amount of the teacher's limited time and the school's limited resources. How come fairness is only important to the right if they can't get exactly what they want when they want?
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

And yet in the UK these are the guys that are earning what they earnt in 1998 & are struggling for work. My BIL is a builder & MrN is (by trade) an Air-con/refrigeration engineer. And no, he won't move... I've tried!

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    Well you could think of it this way...if the more disadvantaged students don't get a year's head start on more advantaged students, they could hold the class back for years and take a disproportionate amount of the teacher's limited time and the school's limited resources. How come fairness is only important to the right if they can't get exactly what they want when they want?
    I would agree with you but here in Texas, the ESL classes are offered (in my district) through the 12th grade. So, basically if you don't speak English well enough, you're not even going to be in the same classes anyway. Therefore, why bother with those slots for preK? Now, I won't argue (too much) that handicapped (physically or mentally) children should not have some of those slots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    And yet in the UK these are the guys that are earning what they earnt in 1998 & are struggling for work. My BIL is a builder & MrN is (by trade) an Air-con/refrigeration engineer. And no, he won't move... I've tried!
    Because in the US, all our snowflakes NEED to go to college and have that degree... because we were told for years that you won't get a job without a degree... and that line of thinking and speaking has come back to bite us in the ass. All of our degreed snowflakes are starting to make up a percentage or two of that unemployment rate because they think that they are going to get a 6 figure job out of college and the workforce is saturated with the degreed so now employers get away with paying less. And because all of our snowflakes are degreed, nobody wants to be the ditch digger or the shit pumper or actually work outside and sweat a little. It's the trickle-down factor... the whole world seems to think that we should all be working inside in the a/c wearing business suits... but we actually DO need our blue-collar workers too. And because now there are so few blue collar guys, they can pretty much name their own price.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread Information