Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree236Likes

Thread: Stephen King: Tax Me, for F**k’s Sake!

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Who are they going to collect taxes from, the cockroaches? They are the only thing that will survive a nuclear holocaust.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why you would get deducted for the Teacher's Retirement System unless you will one day be entitled to the benefits under the system. Otherwise, I think they are flat-out stealing from you to make up a budget gap. If you are eligible, you should make sure you know when you are partially and/or fully vested in the system, so that you can collect what is due to you one day.
    HA! We asked that in New Employee Orientation and they were like, "take it or leave it."

Technically, I don't pay into FICA, even though I'm deducted for SS and Medicare. So TRS is a before-tax deduction from my paycheck. Something about some states don't allow public employees to contribute to certain funds or something confusing. I won't be fully vested until I turn 60 years old. If I were to leave the system that I work for, I have the option of withdrawing the funds, but I'd have to pay 20% federal taxes and an additional 10% if I withdraw the funds before I'm 59 1/2 years old if I didn't rollover the funds to a 401A/401K/403B/Roth IRA.

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    Might have to show my husband this thread.....he's a CPA and knows his shit. He'll kick the shit outta all you ho's.

Nah, on second thought, he'll then know where I spend all my 'free' time during the day...and night. Can't be having that! Never mind!
    My SO is a CPA. My eyes start glazing over when he starts talking shop that's how much I understand of it.
    Novice likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    My SO is a CPA. My eyes start glazing over when he starts talking shop that's how much I understand of it.
    Me too! My hubs math skills scare me, since I have absolutely none. Back in the day, when the grocery stores put prices on everything (and didn't scan stuff), he would look at every price and add it all in his head, then put tax on it and was correct the majority of the time. And I'm talking 25+ items. I couldn't add 3 together in my head, let alone then add tax on. HELL NO.

I'm glad to have him around---he keeps me in line and has made our lives really great with his sound financial knowledge. I bitch about him a lot, but if it weren't for him, I'm pretty sure we'd be in a much different situation money wise than we are now. Now I just need to hit the lottery and I'd be all set.

Hopefully, I'll meet a nice CPA who is good with numbers that I can split my rent with. I'll keep him entertained with my excellent storytelling skills and my taste for pretty graphics because I am SO right-brained and am not that great at math - I can Add/Subtract/Multiply/Divide, but when it comes to algebra or calculus, just forget it.
    LynnieD and *DIVA! like this.

I can add stuff up in my head, but Colorado taxes are too difficult to try to add it onto a grocery bill. CO found a way around taxing fast food and shit. There's a very high sales tax rate for fast food or prepared food at the store (like those rotisserie chickens), another tax rate for processed food (frozen dinners, cereal etc), another lower rate for raw food (meat, flour, rice, etc.) and another rate for things like pet food, household cleaners etc. I really like that because it is a bit of a deterrent for fast food (real restaurant rates are slightly lower than a Wendy's or McDonald's)
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by hustle4alivin View Post
    HA! We asked that in New Employee Orientation and they were like, "take it or leave it."

Technically, I don't pay into FICA, even though I'm deducted for SS and Medicare. So TRS is a before-tax deduction from my paycheck. Something about some states don't allow public employees to contribute to certain funds or something confusing. I won't be fully vested until I turn 60 years old. If I were to leave the system that I work for, I have the option of withdrawing the funds, but I'd have to pay 20% federal taxes and an additional 10% if I withdraw the funds before I'm 59 1/2 years old if I didn't rollover the funds to a 401A/401K/403B/Roth IRA.
    It sounds, though, that what they are doing is just putting your funds in a system that is functioning kind of like a 401K. The difference would be that the teachers probably have a defined benefit, where you would be just someone collecting the accrued amount (plus interest) that you put into the fund by the time you retired. The fact that you can roll it into an actual 401K if you leave your job is a pretty positive thing.

Are you able to opt out or control the pre-tax percent that you contribute? Also, does the system match your contribution (like 50% of every dollar that you put in)?

Greysfang, I always thought you were in NY, not Colorado.....

Hopefully, I'll meet a nice CPA who is good with numbers that I can split my rent with. I'll keep him entertained with my excellent storytelling skills and my taste for pretty graphics because I am SO right-brained and am not that great at math - I can Add/Subtract/Multiply/Divide, but when it comes to algebra or calculus, just forget it.
    I hope you do Hustle!! And they aren't all 'bores' either! I've met plenty of CPA's that could drink us all under the table and destroyed rooms at the Christmas Party's, etc. Good times....good times.
    A CPA would be a nice balance for you! And that's half the battle!

And I will say one more thing about my hub and his math skills and then I will shut the hell up. In NYS we have 'Regents' exams for certain classes in High School. Alegbra, Geometry, Trig & Calculus (the math regents). My husband got a 100% on all 4 of the Math Regents he took. First time in the district it had ever happened. (His Math teachers pitched in and bought him a big steak dinner--tacky, but they were proud). If I told you what I got on my Geometry Regents you probably wouldn't believe me, it was THAT low. He doesn't even believe it.

I'm done I swear.

A nice CPA who loves to garden on the weekends, right?
    hustle4alivin and sluce like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I work for an affiliated foundation to a university and we pay into the state 403(b) plan. We're not state employees, but we do receive the same match that the state employees do. I don' t know why that is, but I imagine that at some point we'll be jettisoned to 401(k) hell, but for now, I'll take my state match for all it's worth!
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

They are good for lots of things not just numbers!
    LynnieD and hustle4alivin like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

TRUE!!! Oh so true!

and .. there it went! another thread evolving into food and sex talk... never fails.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Where's the food?

The girl next to me order a P'Zone from pizza hut and the scent is killing me! I have to go eat my healthy fucking sammich I brought with ham and mesquite chicken on homemade Italian white and I want fat and salt and carbs now. Bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    It sounds, though, that what they are doing is just putting your funds in a system that is functioning kind of like a 401K. The difference would be that the teachers probably have a defined benefit, where you would be just someone collecting the accrued amount (plus interest) that you put into the fund by the time you retired. The fact that you can roll it into an actual 401K if you leave your job is a pretty positive thing.

Are you able to opt out or control the pre-tax percent that you contribute? Also, does the system match your contribution (like 50% of every dollar that you put in)?
    It's a 401(A) plan, and the system does match the contributions, so I'm fine with that.

I hope you do Hustle!! And they aren't all 'bores' either! I've met plenty of CPA's that could drink us all under the table and destroyed rooms at the Christmas Party's, etc. Good times....good times.

A CPA would be a nice balance for you! And that's half the battle!
    The Libra in me likes balance, and I've met quite a few CPA's who could drink me under the table too!

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    A nice CPA who loves to garden on the weekends, right?
    VOUCH

TRUE!!! Oh so true!
    Haaaaaayyy!!!

I can add stuff up in my head, but Colorado taxes are too difficult to try to add it onto a grocery bill. CO found a way around taxing fast food and shit. There's a very high sales tax rate for fast food or prepared food at the store (like those rotisserie chickens), another tax rate for processed food (frozen dinners, cereal etc), another lower rate for raw food (meat, flour, rice, etc.) and another rate for things like pet food, household cleaners etc. I really like that because it is a bit of a deterrent for fast food (real restaurant rates are slightly lower than a Wendy's or McDonald's)
    Where's the food?

The girl next to me order a P'Zone from pizza hut and the scent is killing me! I have to go eat my healthy fucking sammich I brought with ham and mesquite chicken on homemade Italian white and I want fat and salt and carbs now. Bitch.
    That's food talk, baby! now I want fries!
    hustle4alivin likes this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread Information