Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: State dinner crashers, sad and lonely reality wannabes

It's illegal for people to trespass on White House grounds. So, while the Secret Service royally screwed up, these two were on the White House grounds illegally.

Secret Service seeks out the White House gatecrashers

By David Montgomery and Neely Tucker
    Washington Post Staff Writers
    Friday, November 27, 2009 2:13 PM

A pair of Secret Service agents visited a Virginia winery Friday morning in search of suspected White House gatecrashers Michaele and Tareq Salahi, but the couple was not there, according to an employee of the winery.

Diane Weiss, tasting room manager, said she asked the agents if the couple was in trouble for attending a state dinner Tuesday night; the White House has said the couple was not invited. Weiss quoted one agent as replying: "We're not here to arrest them today. We're just looking to talk to them. It's very imperative that we talk to them."
    A spokesman for the Secret Service did not immediately return a telephone call for comment.

Weiss said the Oasis Winery in Hume is principally owned by Tareq's parents. The agents seemed to think Tareq and Michaele Salahi might live there because the couple keeps a mailbox address there, Weiss said. But the couple actually lives in Front Royal, Weiss said, and only Tareq's parents live at the winery.

Weiss said a man and a woman identified themselves as Secret Service agents, and she admitted the agents through a locked gate around 11 a.m. so they could speak to Tareq's parents, Dirgham and Corinne Salahi. She didn't know what was discussed.

Dirgham Salahi briefly got on the telephone with the Post before handing it back to Weiss. Corinne Salahi was not immediately available. "She's a very private person," Weiss said of Corinne Salahi. "She prefers not to be talking to anybody."

The Warren County Report newspaper first reported the Secret Service's visit to the winery on its Web site.

Casey Margenau, a realtor and friend of Tareq Salahi's for 15 years, said he spoke with the couple on Thursday night. The Secret Service investigation is "hard on them," because "their understanding is that they had an invitation," he said.

"The media attention, though, I think is fun for them," he added.
    Margenau he introduced Tareq to Michaele at a Christmas party at his McLean home in 1999. He recounted spending a New Year's eve several years ago with the couple on adjacent yachts in the British Virgin Islands.

"They've always loved living large, always loved living in the spotlight," Margenau said. "They have strong personalities and are very outgoing. Some people like that and some people really dislike it, so much that, well, sometimes people hate you when you're like that."

Secret Service seeks out the White House gatecrashers - washingtonpost.com
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

"We're not here to arrest them today. We're just looking to talk to them. It's very imperative that we talk to them."
    I like how they stressed that they weren't here to arrest them 'today,' but left the possibility of arrest later open.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I like how they stressed that they weren't here to arrest them 'today,' but left the possibility of arrest later open.
    I think this couple is in big trouble. Just like Balloon Boy, this stunt went too far.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

I sincerely hope the law takes care of them - what they did is downright stupid and dangerous. The USSS needs to take a hard look at their security procedures too, as this is the second time these folks have snuck into a White House event. If I was Obama, I'd be giving those guys an earful right about now.

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    I think this couple is in big trouble. Just like Balloon Boy, this stunt went too far.
    Yup. Well, Oprah's suppose to interview Obama next week, I wonder if she'll ask him about this incident?

I hope they have to face atleast some consequences. I'm tired of famewhores getting so much attention. They trespassed, fraudulantly acquired access to the white house, and expect to become celebs from it. I think they sound like they need to be knocked down a peg or two.

Happy trails to you...until we meet again.
    I love & miss you Dad.

Well the fame tour starts just like their lawyer said, their 15 minutes of fame have just begun. They will be on Larry King monday, going to hit the media circuits. Bravo was already in pursuit of a reality show for them. I doubt they will do any time, they are famous and about to get a whole lot more famous. Sick
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    The USSS needs to take a hard look at their security procedures too, as this is the second time these folks have snuck into a White House event.
    When was the first? I haven't seen any mention of a previous one.

BTW, the Washington Post had ANOTHER article on them, and certainly not a flattering one. They sound like big frauds all around. It's kinda long, so I'm not going to post the whole thing, but this part made me think the missus is just like Dina Lohan:
    But Harshman, who says the couple owe her tens of thousands of dollars, said she had noted something odd when she had first met Michaele in the 1990s. At the time, she said, Michaele was working jobs in retail and living with her parents in a simple condominium in Oakton. The family was not wealthy, Harshman says.

One night out with friends, Harshman said, she was surprised when Michaele casually mentioned that she was a model. "I said, 'You never mentioned this to me before.' " Later, Harshman said, "it grew into 'supermodel.' I ignored it half the time."

Last year Michaele, now 44, told a Post reporter that she had been a Washington Redskins cheerleader, and she has been photographed at several alumni events. But the cheerleaders' director of marketing, Melanie Coburn, wrote in an e-mail: "We have no record of her being a member of the Washington Redskins Cheerleaders."

Nor could the Washington Redskins Cheerleaders Alumni Association find any record of her, said Terri Crane-Lamb, president of the association.
    One former cheerleader, Konnie McKee, said Michaele came to alumni events, but no one remembered her being on the squad. McKee and Crane-Lamb noticed Michaele attending WRCAA events. "I remember Terri and I talking: 'What's the deal? Does anyone remember her?' "

washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines

Quote Originally Posted by Little Wombat View Post
    When was the first? I haven't seen any mention of a previous one.
    They also crashed events during the Inauguration. I bolded it in the story below.

White House crashers named in 16 civil suits
    Washington (CNN) -- The Virginia couple accused of crashing President Obama's first White House state dinner on Tuesday are named in at least 16 different civil suits in Fauquier County, sometimes as plaintiffs, sometimes as defendants.
    A trawl through court records on Thursday revealed a more complete picture of Tareq and Michaele Salahi, who have left an extensive paper trail in federal bankruptcy and state court filings.
    The couple was spotted rubbing elbows with the likes of Vice President Joe Biden and Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel at Tuesday's dinner, but the Secret Service says they were not invited.
    A Secret Service checkpoint "did not follow proper procedures" to determine if the two were on the guest list, said Edwin M. Donovan, a Secret Service special agent, in a statement.
    The incident represents a security breach for the White House at the Obama administration's biggest social event to date. More than 300 guests, including Cabinet members, diplomats and Hollywood celebrities, attended the dinner in honor of visiting Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
    The couple did not respond to CNN requests for comment Thursday.
    "At this time the Salahis will not make any formal comments regarding the rumors and media speculation surrounding the White House state dinner," their publicist, Mahogany Jones, said in a statement. "Their counsel, Paul W. Gardner Esq., states emphatically that the Salahis' did not 'crash' this event. We look forward to setting the record straight very soon."
    Asked for comment on the Salahi's legal difficulties, Jones said in an e-mail, "We will begin doing press and media next week providing exclusive interviews and press junkets. If you would like to be considered in our media circuit we request that you hold your proposed published profile until then."
    A page on Facebook, apparently maintained jointly by the Salahis, paints them as high rollers, listing their interests as polo, wine, and diplomatic relations, among others.
    A separate Facebook fan page dedicated to Michaele that appears to be run by her says, "I was honored to be invited to attend the First State Dinner hosted by President Obama & the First Lady to honor India."
    The page in her name is full of pictures showing her at social events around Washington.
    But the two also spend quite a bit of time in court, records show.
    One of the lawsuits against the Salahis was filed by Robb Levin of Fairfax, Virginia, who held his wedding at the Oasis Winery in August 2005.
    "I have a judgment against them," he said by phone on Thursday. "The settlement was for $15,000, plus interest from June 2008. They haven't paid a penny."
    Levin contracted with the winery to provide vendors, such as florists and catering, for the event. But, he said, he discovered the winery was adding a "significant profit" to what the vendors were charging them. "Vendors told me what they were charging. They were charging me two or three times as much," he said. When he tried to use his own vendors, he said, he was fined $1,000.
    After he signed a contract to hold his wedding there, "They were very, very, very hard to get a hold of," he said.
    "I remember [the contract] being very short and it just said to hold the date. When I went back, I found it said they could charge my credit card at will. At the time I signed it I don't remember all those pages being there. I don't remember a whole 8- or 12-page document," Levin said. "There were thousands of dollars charged to my card with no explanation."
    He fought with the Salahis, dealing mostly with Michaele, throughout the run-up to his nuptials, he said.
    "They wanted more money and I wasn't releasing it," he said. "They threatened me with lawyers. They threatened to cancel the wedding."
    In the end, Levin said, he paid up to make sure the wedding went ahead, then sued the Salahis afterward to get his money back.
    Tareq and Michaele, meanwhile, were engaged in a long court battle with his parents over the winery.
    Court records show Tareq sued his mother, Corinne, and the case was dismissed.
    Corinne sued Tareq and the case went to trial. The outcome is not clear from a Virginia courts Web site.
    Tareq and Michaele won control of the winery in 2007, but it has run into debt since then.
    Oasis Winery filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in February, according to U.S. Bankruptcy Court records in the Eastern District of Virginia. Tareq Salahi is listed as company president in the filing. Creditors listed include the IRS, Fauquier County, the state of Virginia, several banks and American Express Corp., among others. The company claims about $335,000 in assets and $965,000 in liabilities.
    Among the debts listed are more than $60,000 in credit card debt and an "unknown" amount in federal back taxes.
    "Debtor has not filed corporate taxes since tax year 2006," the filing says. "Has always previously had business loss, with refund flowing to shareholders."
    Also listed is a $65 parking ticket in Montgomery County, Maryland, nearly $3,000 in gasoline purchases to Exxon-Mobil and more than $95,000 in legal fees.
    According to the February filing, Oasis made $1.7 million in 2007 but only $35,000 in 2008. The filing lists two pending lawsuits against Oasis, one for more than $300,000 for "catering services" and one judgment against the company.
    Under "repossessions," the filing lists a 2004 Aston Martin, which it estimates was worth $150,000 when it was repossessed in October 2008. Some $85,000 was still owed, according to the filing. In addition, a boat valued at $90,000 was repossessed in June 2008, with $56,000 still owed, according to court documents.
    The company also had closed a checking account, $3,800 in the red, about a year before the filing.
    Oasis owes $224,000 "for rental of FedEx Redskins Suite and related hospitality services," according to court documents.
    The Chapter 7 filing, under which a debtor's assets are sold to pay creditors, followed an apparent effort to save the winery earlier.
    The business had filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in December 2008, with Salahi's mother, Corinne, listing herself as president.
    A Chapter 11 bankruptcy is referred to as a "reorganization" bankruptcy, according to the federal judiciary's Web site.
    In addition to federal bankruptcy, Tareq and Michaele may now face criminal charges.
    The incident represents a security breach for the White House at the Obama administration's biggest social event to date. More than 300 guests, including Cabinet members, diplomats and Hollywood celebrities, attended the dinner.
    If they lied to federal agents in order to get into the White House dinner, that is a federal crime, said Fran Townsend , CNN national security contributor.
    The agents tasked with protecting the president "did not follow proper procedures," Secret Service agent Edwin Donovan said in a statement, but said the gatecrashers went through metal detectors "and other levels of security."
    The Salahis are aspiring reality-TV stars who hoped to land roles in the forthcoming show, "The Real Housewives of D.C.," by the Bravo cable network, The Washington Post reported.
    In a statement Thursday, Bravo said, "Michaele Salahi is under consideration as a cast member, as such [series producer] Half Yard Productions were filming the Salahis on that day. Half Yard was only aware that per the Salahis they had been invited [to the state dinner] as guests."
    Video of the dinner showed the couple walking past journalists into the event.
    The couple also appears to have posted pictures on Facebook purportedly showing them gaining access to high profile events during inauguration week, according to The Washington Post's Reliable Sources gossip column.
    Pictures on the couple's joint Facebook account appear to show them in the first family's glass-enclosed viewing area after a concert at the Lincoln Memorial, according to the Post.
    "Tareq & Michaele were honored to be invited to President Obama's private viewing box at the Lincoln Memorial," the Facebook posting from inauguration weekend reportedly reads. "Naturally this picture was taken after his departure."
    Other pictures purportedly show them mingling with celebrities during inauguration weekend, including talk show host Oprah Winfrey at the Kennedy Center, according to the Post.
    CNN's Richard Allen Greene, Shannan Butler and Ashley Hayes contributed to this report.
    White House crashers named in 16 civil suits - CNN.com
    Last edited by kingcap72; November 28th, 2009 at 02:06 PM.

Fucking fame whores.

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    Well the fame tour starts just like their lawyer said, their 15 minutes of fame have just begun. They will be on Larry King monday, going to hit the media circuits. Bravo was already in pursuit of a reality show for them. I doubt they will do any time, they are famous and about to get a whole lot more famous. Sick
    Indeed, the notion that these are harmless attention seeking people misses the point.

The implications are scary, not only because of the world we live in nowadays, but also because the threats against President Obama are unprecedented.

If these were two Middle Eastern looking people, no way would they have gotten through even the first checkpoint.

Unbelievable double standards and laxity on the part of those who presume to protect our President.

good thing they didnt have anthrax. they very well could have
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

The more i read on these two famewhore douchebags the more it sickens me how much attention they are getting. They seem to be flashy con artists more than anything else.

Happy trails to you...until we meet again.
    I love & miss you Dad.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information