Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: South Carolina priest: no communion for Barack Obama supporters

"The priest went on to say he supports the separation between church and state."

Supports it, sure. He just has no idea what those words mean.
    Picture and quote source: Priest: Obama Voters Must Do Penance, Says Parishioners Should Refuse Communion If They Voted For Democrat Because Of His Abortion Stance - CBS News

His letter:

Dear Friends in Christ,
    We the People have spoken, and the 44th President of the United States will be Barack Hussein Obama. This election ends a political process that started two years ago and which has revealed deep and bitter divisions within the United States and also within the Catholic Church in the United States. This division is sometimes called a “Culture War,” by which is meant a heated clash between two radically different and incompatible conceptions of how we should order our common life together, the public life that constitutes civil society. And the chief battleground in this culture war for the past 30 years has been abortion, which one side regards as a murderous abomination that cries outto Heaven for vengeance and the other side regards as a fundamental human right that must be protected in laws enforced by the authority of the state. Between these two visions of the use of lethal violence against the unborn there can be no negotiation or conciliation, and now our nation has chosen for its chief executive the most radical pro-abortion politician everto serve in the United States Senate or to run for president. We must also take note of the fact that this election was effectively decided by the votes of self-described (but not practicing) Catholics, the majority of whom cast their ballots for President-elect Obama.
    In response to this, I am obliged by my duty as your shepherd to make two observations:
    1. Voting for a pro-abortion politician when a plausible pro-life alternative exits constitutes material cooperation with intrinsic evil, and those Catholics who do so place themselves outside of the full communion of Christ’s Church and under the judgment of divine law. Persons in this condition should not receive Holy Communion until and unless they are reconciledto God in the Sacrament of Penance, lest they eat and drink their own condemnation.
    2. Barack Obama, although we must always and everywhere disagree with him over abortion, has been duly elected the next President of the United States, and after he takes the Oath of Office next January 20th, he will hold legitimate authority in this nation. For this reason, we are obliged by Scriptural preceptto pray for him and to cooperate with him whenever conscience does not bind us otherwise. Let us hope and pray that the responsibilities of the presidency and the grace of God will awaken in the conscience of this extraordinarily gifted man an awareness that the unholy slaughter of children in this nation is the greatest threatto the peace and security of the United States and constitutes a clear and present danger to the common good. In the time of President Obama’s service to our country, let us pray for him in the words of a prayer found in the Roman Missal:
    God our Father, all earthly powers must serve you. Help our President-elect, Barack Obama, to fulfill his responsibilities worthily and well. By honoring and striving to please you at all times, may he secure peace and freedom for the people entrusted to him. We ask this through Our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God for ever and ever.
    Amen.
    Father Newman
    Source: Dedication of the Lateran Basilica in Rome | Weekly Bulletin | Our Parish | St. Mary's Catholic Church

Dude has a blog:
    Notes on Parish Life

"Interests
    • Evangelical Catholicism and the ongoing reformation of the Church."
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

Elite Member

Who needs Judgment Day when priests are already handing out decrees? Aren't people of the cloth supposed to be accepting of all people, regardless of political affliation? Sounds like someone needs a refresher theology course!

Raptured yet?
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

catholics don't believe in the rapture.....even they aren't that crazy
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Elite Member

Yet another reason why The Catholic Church is fucked-up.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Raptured yet?
    Bringin' up old shit since 1998.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Outrageous. I hope we have 2 pro-choice candidates running next time. Then what??
    Impossible.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information