Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford goes AWOL

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Like they said on Countdown if this is Sanford's cover story it makes you wonder how bad the real story is.
    A drug deal/kinky sex romp payoff with a tranny Colombian cartel lord. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it until otherwise informed.

"Sanford said he was alone on the trip. He declined to give any additional details about what he did other than to say he drove along the coastline."

"Trying to drive along the coast could frustrate a weekend visitor to Argentina. In Buenos Aires, the Avenida Costanera is the only coastal road, and it's less than two miles long. Reaching coastal resorts to the south requires a drive of nearly four hours on an inland highway with views of endless cattle ranches. To the north is a river delta of islands reached only by boat.

A spokesman for Argentina's immigration agency wouldn't comment Wednesday on whether Sanford entered the country, citing privacy laws."Source
    ---------------------------------
    Where in the World Was Gov. Mark Sanford? Argentina, Of Course
    By John Cook

Mark Sanford wasn't nude-hiking the Appalachian Trail. He was chilling in Argentina. He's just a regular-folks governor who jets to Buenos Aires for a week without telling his wife, abandoning his kids on Father's Day while his staff lies preposterously.
    South Carolina's The State caught Sanford arriving at Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport this morning:
    Sanford, in an exclusive interview with The State, said he decided at the last minute to go to the South American country to recharge after a difficult legislative session in which he battled with lawmakers over how to spend federal stimulus money.
    Asked why his staff said he was hiking the Appalachian Trail, Sanford gave two different answers: 1) I have no idea, and 2) Because I told them I was going to hike the Appalachian Trail.
    When asked why his staff said he was on the Appalachian Trail, Sanford replied, "I don't know."
    Sanford later said "in fairness to his staff," he had told them he might go hiking on the Appalachian Trial.
    One thing we know for sure about Sanford is that he hires idiots. His spokesman Joel Sawyer told The State yesterday that Sanford had spoken with his office, and continued to maintain that he was hiking.

These are obvious lies—if Sanford checked in, then they would have known he was in Argentina, and if they knew he was in Argentina, then they knew he wasn't hiking—and it was entirely predictable that they would be revealed as such when Sanford returned. You can smell the panic. Did they not think that reporters would be staking out the Atlanta airport?

The State says Sanford returned a day earlier than planned, which would suggest that he had been in contact with his office at some point and been called home. The newspaper also said that he was originally supposed to fly into Columbia, S.C., but arrived in Atlanta after bumping up his return by a day. This is of interest because CNN reported finding his car in the Columbia airport parking lot last night, and a local television station reported finding another of the governor's security-detail SUV's in the Atlanta airport parking lot yesterday.

Why would there be cars at both airports? Given the circumstances, it wouldn't be out of order to speculate wildly: Did the governor's staff plant a car at Columbia's airport to make the Appalachian Trail story appear more likely? After all, it makes little sense that he would drive to Atlanta, about 80 miles from the trail, and then fly to another point on the trail. It does make sense that he would fly from Columbia to Atlanta and then go hiking. So did a panicked staffer, after seeing the report of the governor's car in Atlanta, plant another one in Columbia and leak it to CNN? Who knows.

Sanford also said he was alone on the trip, which no one believes.
    Gawker - Where in the World Was Gov. Mark Sanford? Argentina, Of Course - mark sanford

---------------------------

"In a short interview with CNN Tuesday, Sanford's wife Jenna said she had not talked to her husband since he left last Thursday and did not know where he went.
    "I am being a mom today. I have not heard from my husband. I am taking care of my children," she said outside the couple's beach home on Sullivan's Island, South Carolina."source

------------------------

This is just all kinds of weird. Layers of lies.
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

Argentina? Give Sanford a fedora and a trenchcoat and he's the new Carmen Sandiego.

Elite Member

I'm insulted that you would compare Sanford to the fabulous Ms. Sandiego, King. I used to play the Carmen Sandiego video game in my high school library years ago. It rocked. Sanford just smokes crack rock.

Sanford, in an exclusive interview with The State, said he decided at the last minute to go to the South American country to recharge after a difficult legislative session in which he battled with lawmakers over how to spend federal stimulus money.
    I guess he decided to spend it on a trip to Argentina...

Elite Member

I say he's pulling a Limbaugh and going to a foreign country to do very kinky things with underage boys/girls.

Elite Member

Default re

Isn't Argentina known as a mecca for plastic surgery? Maybe he got some work done.

The Missing Governor: A Timeline

By Versha Sharma - June 24, 2009, 11:21AM
    We thought it might be useful to put together a timeline of events in the Missing Governor story:

Thursday, June 18
    • Governor Sanford takes a State Law Enforcement Division Suburban and leaves the governor's mansion in Columbia.
    • A cell phone tower near Hartsfield-Jackson Airport in Atlanta, Georgia, picks up a signal from Sanford's cell phone, before his phone is apparently turned off for the next few days.

Friday, June 19
    • South Carolina law enforcement officials call and send text messages to Sanford's cell phone, with no response.

Saturday, June 20
    • The governor's office issues a statement to the police saying there is no reason for concern.
    • State Sen. Jake Knotts -- a Republican but frequent Sanford critic -- calls SLED chief Reggie Lloyd. According to Knotts, Lloyd says the security details knows Sanford's location.

Sunday, June 21
    • Lieutenant Governor Andre Bauer -- who would take over from Sanford in an emergency -- discovers Sanford's whereabouts are unknown.

Monday, June 22
    • c. 2:30 p.m: Knotts issues a statement asking who is in charge of South Carolina if Sanford is gone.
    • c. 2:40 p.m.: The State newspaper publishes an article saying Sanford has been unreachable for four days.
    • c. 2:50 p.m.: The governor's office issues this statement: "[Sanford] is taking some time away from the office this week to recharge after the stimulus battle," and to "work on a couple of projects that have fallen by the wayside."
    • c. 3 p.m.: Sanford's wife, Jenny, tells the AP that she does not know where her husband is, but she's not worried. Vacationing with her four sons at the Sanfords' Sullivan's Island beach house, she says "he was writing something and wanted some space to get away from the kids."
    • c. 3:40 p.m.: Lt. Gov. Bauer's office tells reporters the governor's office has said it has spoken to Sanford and knows his location.
    • c. 5:00 p.m.: Sanford spokesman Joel Sawyer denies that the office ever told Bauer's office they had spoken to Sanford.
    • c.10:00 p.m: Bauer's office issues a statement suggesting it has been misled into believing that the governor's office had spoken with Sanford, when in fact it hadn't. Bauer says he "cannot take lightly that his staff has not had communication with [Sanford] for more than four days." A Bauer spokesman later tells TPMmuckraker that the statement was prompted when Bauer had asked to speak to the governor on the phone and the governor's office had been unable to make this happen.
    • c. 10:05 p.m.: The governor's office issues a statement saying Sanford is hiking on the Appalachian Trail, but gives no specifics about what part of the trail or if the governor is alone.

Tuesday, June 23
    • c. 9:40 a.m: The governor's office issues a statement saying Sanford has called the office and is "taken aback" by the reaction to his disappearance. The statement adds that Sanford will return to the office Wednesday.
    • c. 4 p.m.: Jenny Sanford tells CNN she still hasn't heard from her husband. She says, "I am being a mom today. I have not heard from my husband. I am taking care of my children."
    • c. 5 p.m.: Local news channel WYFF4 reports that a missing state vehicle was tracked down to the Hartsfield-Jackson Airport in Atlanta. Sources tell the TV station that Sanford was seen by federal agents boarding a plane there, without security. The governor's office stands by the Appalachian Trail story.
    • c.10 p.m.: CNN reports that a black Chevy Suburban believed to be used by Sanford was found at Columbia Metropolitan Airport. "A parking permit for the school attended by Sanford's children is visible on the windshield," said the report.

Wednesday, June 24
    • Early morning: Sanford arrives at Hartsfield-Jackson Airport in Atlanta on a flight from Buenos Aires, Argentina, where he says he has been for the last few days. He tells a reporter from The State that he considered hiking the Appalachian Trail, but decided he "wanted to do something exotic" instead. Sanford says he went alone, and that he spent time driving along the coast. He also says he changed his return itinerary to fly in to Atlanta, not Columbia, in order to avoid the media.
    • c. 10:30a.m.: Sanford's office announces a 2 p.m. press conference.
    The Missing Governor: A Timeline | TPMMuckraker

Quote Originally Posted by Valley Doll View Post
    I'm insulted that you would compare Sanford to the fabulous Ms. Sandiego, King. I used to play the Carmen Sandiego video game in my high school library years ago. It rocked. Sanford just smokes crack rock.
    I owe you and Carmen an apology. My bad.

On a sidenote, I was watching Colbert's show last night and he did a rewind on his interview with Sanford last year. The funny thing about that interview was that he kept telling Sanford how 'boring' he was. Guess he's not that 'boring' after all.

are governors allowed to take vacations?
    and do they have to disclose where they are going to the public?
    if they are obligated to disclose their locations, then i get why this is suck a big deal but if not, then really who gives a shit if the dude took off for a few days? thursday to monday, that's just a long weekend...
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^Well, usually if they leave the state the lieutenant governor is put in charge in case anything should happen. Looks like Sanford didn't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    are governors allowed to take vacations?
    and do they have to disclose where they are going to the public?
    if they are obligated to disclose their locations, then i get why this is suck a big deal but if not, then really who gives a shit if the dude took off for a few days? thursday to monday, that's just a long weekend...
    Governors are allowed to take vacations, but this wasn't a vacation. He vanished without telling his family, staff or security detail where he was going, and even the Lieutenant Governor didn't know where he was. And since he didn't transfer his power to the Lieutenant Governor there was no one, technically, in charge of the state while he was gone.

If an emergency had come up the Lieutenant Governor would've been in charge, but there's a lot of gray area about what would be considered an 'emergency.'

And obviously this wasn't a well planned trip, or, maybe it WAS.....just not well enough?? This is weirding me out.

So, is anyone watching the press conference? I'm watching the live stream on MSNBC, waiting for it to start...

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    thursday to monday, that's just a long weekend...
    Just to nitpick, Thursday to Wednesday and he came back early.

It's all the lies and coverups for this supposedly innocent trip that are fascinating.
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information