Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford goes AWOL

AP Newsbreak: SC gov 'crossed lines' with women

By TAMARA LUSH and EVAN BERLAND, Associated Press Writers Tamara Lush And Evan Berland, Associated Press Writers – 14 mins ago
    COLUMBIA, S.C. — South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford said Tuesday that he "crossed lines" with a handful of women other than his mistress — but never had sex with them. The governor said he "never crossed the ultimate line" with anyone but Maria Belen Chapur, the Argentine at the center of a scandal that has derailed his once-promising political career.
    "This was a whole lot more than a simple affair, this was a love story," Sanford said. "A forbidden one, a tragic one, but a love story at the end of the day."
    During an emotional interview at his Statehouse office with The Associated Press on Tuesday, Sanford said Chapur is his soul mate but he's trying to fall back in love with his wife.
    He said that during the encounters with other women he "let his guard down" with some physical contact but "didn't cross the sex line." He wouldn't go into detail.
    Sanford said the casual encounters happened outside the U.S. while he was married but before he met Chapur, on trips to "blow off steam" with male friends.
    Sanford also admitted he saw Chapur more times than previously disclosed, including what was to be a farewell meeting in [COLOR=#000000 ! important]New[COLOR=#000000 ! important] York[/COLOR][/COLOR] chaperoned by a spiritual adviser soon after his wife found out about the affair.
    He described five meetings with Chapur over the past year, including two romantic, multi-night stays with her in New York before they met there again intending to break up.
    He said he saw her two other times, including their first meeting in 2001 at an open-air dance spot in Uruguay.
    "There was some kind of connection from the very beginning," he told The Associated Press, though he said neither that meeting nor a 2004 coffee date in New York during the Republican National Convention were romantic.
    His interview was the first disclosure of any liaisons with Chapur in the United States and contradicted a public confession last week during which he admitted to a total of five encounters over their eight-year relationship.
    He previously announced he would reimburse the state for money spent during a government trip to Brazil and Argentina in June 2008 when he saw Chapur. It was then, he said, that their relationship became physical, and the e-mails they'd exchanged for years reflected their anguish over what they had done.
    "Now I am frightened," he told the AP, describing his state of mind at the time. "It was before safe. But now it's not safe. We gotta put the genie back in the bottle."
    He insists no public money was used for any other meetings with her.
    He saw Chapur again in mid-June of this year, visiting Argentina without telling his staff he was going to be out of the country. He instead led them to believe he was hiking on the Appalachian Trail.
    By the time he returned to a puzzled public, staff and family, his public image and emotional state had unraveled. He admitted the affair at a rambling press conference.
    Now Sanford is attempting to salvage his personal and professional lives. He and [COLOR=#000000 ! important]wife[COLOR=#000000 ! important] Jenny[/COLOR][/COLOR], parents of four sons, say they are trying to reconcile their 20-year marriage but have not been sharing the same house for several weeks. [COLOR=#000000 ! important]Jenny[COLOR=#000000 ! important] Sanford[/COLOR][/COLOR] found out about the relationship in January when she discovered a letter the governor had written to his mistress. She did not immediately return a message seeking comment Tuesday.
    The governor said he met Chapur in Punta Del Este, Uruguay, in 2001 after his final term in Congress and before his first term as governor. He said the two struck up an [COLOR=#000000 ! important]e-mail[COLOR=#000000 ! important] correspondence[/COLOR][/COLOR] after meeting on a dance floor — a chance encounter during which he counseled her into the night about her failing marriage.
    For the next seven-plus years, Sanford said, the two exchanged messages, sometimes sporadically.
    They met in New York two more times in 2008: two nights in Manhattan in September and three nights in the Hamptons in November. Each time, Sanford claims he flew coach, paid for it himself, paid for the hotels in cash and told his staff he was reachable via cell phone.
    "At that point I was very careful, everything was paid for in cash," Sanford said. "And you won't find a credit card record."
    In early 2009, after Jenny Sanford discovered the affair, the couple went into counseling. She has told The Associated Press that he asked her several times to visit the mistress and she refused.
    But the governor claims he wanted to end the affair in person and, with his wife's permission, went to New York with a "trusted spiritual adviser" serving as chaperone. The three went to church and dinner together and parted ways the same night.
    But he visited Chapur again in Argentina on June 18, the trip that brought the whole affair to light.
    AP Newsbreak: SC gov 'crossed lines' with women - Yahoo! News

Sounds like another Clinton to me lol

He must be really devoted to God to be "tested" so much.

...and the e-mails they'd exchanged for years reflected their anguish over what they had done.
    "Now I am frightened," he told the AP, describing his state of mind at the time. "It was before safe. But now it's not safe. We gotta put the genie back in the bottle."

Oh lord, someone fetch the smelling salts for Butt's swoon. I'll just grab a bucket for myself.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

WOW. Those of you who have sympathy for this guy have been taken in by a narcissistic, arrogant, selfish entitlement whore of epic proportions. He obviously felt entitled to mess around with other women while he was on trips with the boys to "blow off steam." He hooked up with this Maria woman by meeting her on the dance floor and going to a hotel with her for the night while "counseling her on her failing marriage" (uh huh). Now, Maria is his soulmate, and he will "try to fall back in love with his wife." Really, I guess life is all about where his dick leads him and not about his family at all. If I were Jenny, I'd say "gee, thanks, but no thanks!" What a worthless piece of shit.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    WOW. Those of you who have sympathy for this guy have been taken in by a narcissistic, arrogant, selfish entitlement whore of epic proportions. He obviously felt entitled to mess around with other women while he was on trips with the boys to "blow off steam." He hooked up with this Maria woman by meeting her on the dance floor and going to a hotel with her for the night while "counseling her on her failing marriage" (uh huh). Now, Maria is his soulmate, and he will "try to fall back in love with his wife." Really, I guess life is all about where his dick leads him and not about his family at all. If I were Jenny, I'd say "gee, thanks, but no thanks!" What a worthless piece of shit.
    Yeah, and aren't there rumors that 'Maria' has other men,too? She probably doesn't even want his tired ass on a permanent basis. You're right...people who fell for his 'true love' bs are suckers.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ana-mish-ana View Post
    Sanford's a novice compared to Clinton. Despite Paula Jones, Kathleen Willey and Monica Lewinsky, Bill kept his job, his marriage and went out a popular president. Sanford will be lucky if he keeps his job or his marriage.

And Sanford was dumb enough to leave a trail of e-mails. A pimp like Clinton wouldn't do that, he just left a cum stain on XL blue dress and argued the meaning of the word 'is.'

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Damn, it turns out he's a tawdry asshole who has only just managed to keep his dick in his trousers up until now. I still maintain he wasn't getting the love at home but he should have just divorced his wife and gone and found what he needed. Blergh...and here I thought there were still romantics who were swept away by their feelings. I'm putting a year-long moratorium on me watching Bridges of Madison County. That's what made me fall for this maudlin horseshit. It was Clint and Meryl's fault.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

What I don't understand is why he felt the need to do a second interview and come out with crazier stuff that would implicate him? Why on earth would anyone do that? Especially the same week that one of the most famous people on the planet dies???

And what's this "I'm trying to fall back in love with my wife but Maria Maria is my true lover/soulmate."

GEEEEEEEZ.

You couldn't make this shit up.

His wife ahould divorce his ass & end his anguish.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by cmmdee View Post
    What I don't understand is why he felt the need to do a second interview and come out with crazier stuff that would implicate him? Why on earth would anyone do that? Especially the same week that one of the most famous people on the planet dies???

And what's this "I'm trying to fall back in love with my wife but Maria Maria is my true lover/soulmate."

GEEEEEEEZ.

You couldn't make this shit up.
    If his wife stays with him after the 'Maria is my soulmate' shit then she's just as stupid as he is.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eaqy4rsR4IM[/YOUTUBE]

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    I'm putting a year-long moratorium on me watching Bridges of Madison County. That's what made me fall for this maudlin horseshit. It was Clint and Meryl's fault.
    Ever notice that there's credits for stunts at the end?
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

^^Really? I never noticed that and I usually read the credits. Oh crap, now I have to watch it again just to see if you're lying or truthing. Damn you!

*edit: Hmmmm....just read the following. I think he should leave the wife pronto and go to his soul-mate. Otherwise he'll never see his balls again.

Let the fireworks begin.

Cheating-heart Gov. Mark Sanford of South Carolina will fly off again today for a holiday weekend reunion with the other woman in his life - his wife.

A new rocket from Jenny Sanford, not to mention her angry red glare, awaited him at her parents' house in Florida.

"There is no question that Mark's behavior is inexcusable," Jenny Sanford said in yet another remarkable public airing of the state's First Couple's dirty laundry. "Actions have consequences, and he will be dealing with those consequences for a long while."

Those steely comments were Jenny Sanford's first since her husband wailed that his Argentine mistress was his once-in-a-lifetime "soul mate" - but he'd like to try and fall back in love with the mother of his four children.

Unflattering as that may be, Jenny Sanford indicated Thursday that she is open to forgiving her husband, who also admitted in recent days to "crossing lines" with still more women during their 20-year marriage.

"Forgiveness opens the door for Mark to begin to work privately, humbly and respectfully toward reconciliation," she wrote. "However, to achieve true reconciliation will take time, involve repentance, and will not be easy."

"Mark has stated that his intent and determination is to save our marriage, and to make amends to the people of South Carolina," she added. "I hope he can make good on those intentions, and for the sake of our boys I leave the door open to it."

The South Carolina first lady and the couple's four sons have been hiding out at her parents' home in Loblolly Bay - a swank, gated community in Hobe Sound, north of Palm Beach.

Back home, Sanford faces increasing calls to resign over his affair with Argentine hottie Maria Belen Chapur - which led him to go missing for five days for a last tango in Buenos Aires.

But the governor seemed to be hunkering down. His spokesman, Joel Sawyer, issued a statement saying Sanford "has no plans to step aside."

"He remains committed and determined to repair the damage he has done in his marriage and to building back the trust of the people," Sawyer said.

Sanford did get one bit of good news: the state's top cop said the governor did not improperly use state funds to pay for his trysts with Chapur, most of which occurred in New York.

That could make impeaching Sanford tough, since that can only move forward on evidence of criminal wrongdoing.

At the same time, Sanford did suffer one new setback: a book deal he had planned to pen on fiscal conservatism was terminated.

Publisher Adrian Zackheim said that Sentinel, a conservative imprint within Penguin Group (USA) Inc., had come to a "mutual decision" with Sanford to kill the project.

Luv Guv Mark Sanford to join wife, who says his actions are 'inexcusable,' in Florida for July 4th
    Luv Guv Mark Sanford to join wife, who says his actions are 'inexcusable,' in Florida for July 4th
    Last edited by buttmunch; July 2nd, 2009 at 11:26 PM.

--Sinclair Lewis

Sanford's wife sounds almost as crazy as he does.

(CNN) — Jenny Sanford, wife of South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford, is speaking out in a new statement about her husband's affair.
    "Mark showed a lack of judgment in his recent actions as governor. However, his far more egregious offenses were committed against God, the institutions of marriage and family, our boys and me," Mrs. Sanford said in a statement. "Mark has stated that his intent and determination is to save our marriage, and to make amends to the people of South Carolina. I hope he can make good on those intentions, and for the sake of our boys I leave the door open to it."

Statement from First Lady Jenny Sanford

Columbia, S.C. – July 2, 2009- The last week has been very painful for me, my family and for the people of South Carolina. However, throughout this terrible ordeal, the incredible outpouring of kindness, support, and prayer I've received from countless friends and folks I have never even met has been truly uplifting. I appreciate that more than I can say. Please know that my sons and I are doing fine, given the circumstances. We are surrounded by friends and family, and we will make it through this. I believe it is how we respond to the challenges we face in life, and what we learn from them, that is most telling about who we truly are.

There is no question that Mark's behavior is inexcusable. Actions have consequences and he will be dealing with those consequences for a long while. Trust has been broken and will need to be rebuilt. Mark will need to earn back that trust, first and foremost with his family, and also with the people of South Carolina.

The real issue now is one of forgiveness. I am willing to forgive Mark for his actions. We have been deeply disappointed in and even angry at Mark. The Bible says, "In your anger do not sin." (Psalm 4:4) In this situation, this speaks to the essence of forgiveness and the critical need to channel one's energy into positive steps that uphold the dignity of marriage and the family, and lead to reconciliation over time. My forgiveness is essential for us both to move on with our lives, with peace, in whatever direction that may take us.

Desmond Tutu said "forgiveness is the grace by which you enable the other person to get up, and get up with dignity, to begin anew." Forgiveness opens the door for Mark to begin to work privately, humbly and respectfully toward reconciliation with me. However, to achieve true reconciliation will take time, involve repentance, and will not be easy.

Mark showed a lack of judgment in his recent actions as governor. However, his far more egregious offenses were committed against God, the institutions of marriage and family, our boys and me. Mark has stated that his intent and determination is to save our marriage, and to make amends to the people of South Carolina. I hope he can make good on those intentions, and for the sake of our boys I leave the door open to it. In that spirit of forgiveness, it is up to the people and elected officials of South Carolina to decide whether they will give Mark another chance as well.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread Information