Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: ‘Someone’s Gotta Tell the Freakin’ Truth’: Jerry Falwell’s Aides Break Their Silence

Quote Originally Posted by dolem View Post
    I can't remember if it does or not. I went to a Christian college and we weren't allowed to dance either. No drinking, sex, drugs, dancing, R-rated movies, boys in dorm rooms (or vice versa), required chapel 3x a week. WTF was I thinking?!
    Dancing is mentioned in Ecclesiastes 3, the “time for everything” chapter, including “a time to dance.”
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

Elite Member

Also, David danced to celebrate Israel's victory
    And David danced before the LORD with all his might; and David was girded with a linen ephod.
    lindsaywhit likes this.

I can't remember if it does or not. I went to a Christian college and we weren't allowed to dance either. No drinking, sex, drugs, dancing, R-rated movies, boys in dorm rooms (or vice versa), required chapel 3x a week. WTF was I thinking?!
    Jeebus. You missed all the best parts of college!
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Yeah, I know a college that just somewhat recently allowed female students to wear pants. I think they've finally had one dance and it was such a big deal it made the newspapers.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

I know it doesn't say "no drinking" in the bible. Jesus turned water into fucking wine, for christ's sake.
    kasippu likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mostroop View Post
    And David danced before the LORD with all his might; and David was girded with a linen ephod.
    This. And David was a man after God's own heart. Partly because he danced.

Oh believe me, in theory the evangelical types (Baptists, etc) are completely against dancing and most especially the kind that you would find in a night club. Not to mention the consumption of alcohol. Engaging in any of this is forbidden (and they might as well have been caught in a whore house) because such acts promote/constitute "lewd and lascivious" behavior. Never mind that they are low-key engaging in this behavior all the fucking time and sometimes at a much greater level than non-religious.

Hypocritical? Of course. Un-Christian? Definitely. In the south where unfortunately religion still outweighs common sense they're still able to suck enough money off people to profit. For now.

But regularly being busted for being corrupt ass hypocrites is what turns many people raised in and around these environments off to religion altogether. Which, in my opinion is the main purpose for the existence of these fringe-y groups.

Keep on being hypocritical, corrupt douchebags, evang-ies!
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by mostroop View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lindsaywhit View Post
    This. And David was a man after God's own heart. Partly because he danced.
    I remember being made to sing hymns at school assembly every day and Lord of the Dance was a regular choice.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

There are plenty of examples here:- https://www.biblestudytools.com/topi...about-dancing/

fgg

After Falwell Stumbles, His Hometown Sees a Leader in Need of Redemption

LYNCHBURG, Va. — At the Tree of Life Ministries, down the road from Liberty University, the senior pastor, Mike Dodson, did not have to look very far for sermon material about sin, redemption and what’s expected of a Christian.

“You have watched one of the most influential leaders of this city, of the country and the world, the Christian community, go down,” Dodson said, bent with passion. “The Christian community is being laughed at.”

Jerry Falwell Jr., a close ally of President Donald Trump and one of the most prominent evangelical leaders in the country, has weathered one controversy after the next in recent years. But in the community that has been at the center of the religious empire he and his father have presided over for decades, he finally pushed the limits of his support too far after he shared an image on social media that left many angered and offended.

In it, he had his pants unbuttoned and his arm around a woman who was not his wife. In an accompanying post, he had a glass of what he described as “black water” that appeared to be alcohol.

The university said Friday that Falwell, who was the university’s president, and the board of trustees had “mutually agreed that it would be good for him to take an indefinite leave of absence.” The university did not elaborate on the reasons for the decision, but it came amid the rancor incited by the photograph.

Falwell has long been respected by many in Lynchburg, Virginia, who saw him playing an essential role in defending evangelical Christians. But after a string of controversies, there was also a sense that he needed to be removed as university president and chancellor, at least temporarily, and redeem himself if he wanted to return to Liberty and retain his position of authority within the broader movement.

So at Tree of Life and other congregations, whether or not Falwell was front and center in sermons, he was an inescapable presence.

“He’s political and a fighter,” said David Sosin, who teaches at Liberty University. “But I’m grateful that he’s stepping away.”

Sosin said his son is a student at the university and has been made uncomfortable by some of Falwell’s past remarks. Yet he contended that those statements had been blown out of proportion.

“We have a new level of scrutiny where we sanitize people, leaders, politicians,” Sosin said. “I’m hoping that will die down a little now at Liberty.”

In recent months, Falwell has been denounced for tweets involving Blackface and Ku Klux Klan imagery as well as for his decision to reopen the campus in March as the coronavirus pandemic was exploding. (He has also sparred with news organizations covering the university, including The New York Times.)

But it was the photograph that ignited the largest uproar.

“There are limits,” Grant Wacker, professor emeritus of Christian history at Duke Divinity School, said. “Evangelicals will forgive an awful lot. But sexual transgression of that sort, pushing the line that hard,” he said, “there are so many layers to it that are appalling.”

Students at Liberty University agree to adhere to a strict code known as the “Liberty Way,” a handbook that, in some pages, isn’t all that different from what would be seen on a secular campus, with rules on plagiarism and cheating.

But the Liberty Way ventures further. Rules bar sex outside of marriage and the consumption of alcohol, reflecting the values that draw students to the university and its mission to develop “Christ-centered men and women with the values, knowledge and skills essential to impact the world.”

In the photograph, which Falwell posted and deleted on Instagram, many students, faculty members and alumni said it looked like he was flouting that code.

“I don’t know if a secular institution would abide by a university president doing that; why should a Christian one?” Anthea Butler, a professor of religious studies at the University of Pennsylvania, said of Falwell’s behavior depicted in the post. “It’s pretty clear to them that he has become a liability to the school as opposed to an asset.”

Whitney Cairns, who attended Liberty University for a year while Jerry Falwell Sr. was president and whose husband graduated with a master’s degree from the school in 2017, called the recent negative attention “embarrassing.”

“My husband and I were talking,” she said after attending a church service Sunday in Lynchburg, “and if we were new students, we probably would have changed our minds about attending.”

Falwell has expressed regret for the post. “I should have never put it up and embarrassed her,” he said in an interview last week with WLNI, a local Lynchburg radio station, referring to the woman with him in the picture, who he said was his wife’s assistant. “I’ve apologized to everybody. I promised my kids I will try to be a good boy from here on out.”

In Lynchburg, a city of more than 80,000 people in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, the Falwell family’s ties trace to 1669. It is where the elder Falwell, as he championed the larger evangelical movement, led his own congregation and in 1971 started Liberty, which blossomed into a powerhouse in Christian education.

That has engendered decades of respect in the community.

“We’re not going to say anything negative,” said Ray Kingrea, who is also a pastor for the Tree of Life Ministries. “We love the family.”

The university now has nearly 46,000 undergraduate students and has aggressively expanded its athletic program and online class offerings. But some argued the academic rigor was less of a priority than growth and advancing evangelical causes.

“Liberty University has always been what I call a culture war institution,” said John Fea, a professor of American history at Messiah College whose research focus includes evangelical Christianity. “It was born out of the culture war.”

Falwell has followed the political cues of his father, adapting the religious right his father helped create for a different era and supporting Trump in a way the elder Falwell did with Ronald Reagan.

“The son really turned it up a notch,” Fea said. “You saw just what Liberty was willing to do to defend these kind of values.”

At Rivermont Evangelical Presbyterian Church, the pastor used his sermon to talk about redemption.

“A new era of redemptive history is beginning,” the Rev. David Weber, the senior pastor, told his congregation, explaining the renewing power imbued in baptism, which, he said, had been on his mind with own daughter’s baptism.

But the theme of the sermon tracked closely with current events and the sentiment that there should always be space for redemption for those within their faith and community who stray.

“His failures are no different than our own,” Jonathan Owens, a congregant, said of Falwell. “But it’s great that he’s stepping down at this point.”

After the service, Weber acknowledged a measure of sympathy for Falwell. He said he was reluctant to criticize him.

“It has to be difficult to live in the public eye,” he said of Falwell. “It’s not my authority or my job to say what is the best for people. In his life, that was the board’s authority. They’re seeking the best for the university.”

Still, after finishing his own sermon at Tree of Life, Dodson said that redemption would require hard work. If Falwell could humble himself, Dodson said, he would like to see him restored to his position with the university. But it was clear to him that Falwell’s behavior made him, for the time being, unfit for the job.

“It had to stop,” he said.

This article originally appeared in The New York Times.

https://news.yahoo.com/falwell-stumb...185333513.html
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I think it's hilarious that their panties are in a bunch over him drinking wine and their school rulebook bars university students from drinking alcohol. I know that's not what the uproar is primarily about, but it's just so ludicrous. Do they not teach the water into wine at Liberty? And worrying about leaders being too "sanitized"? Such BS. Those rules don't apply when attacking the other side. I hope he never comes back to the university.

And I'm just waiting on the scandal that finally takes down Franklin Graham. Samaritan's Purse is based near here and I know quite a few people that have worked there or still work there and tons more that volunteer there during their Christmas Box program. You're not allowed to say anything bad about FP or their philosophies and you're not allowed to work there at all if you disagree with any of their religious views. And he's got so much to hide.

And obligatory Jerry Falwell going down the water slide in his suit gif that must be included in any thread about the family:

BITTER likes this.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

This guy is just too stupid for words. It would be one thing if someone secretly took the pics and sold them to a tabloid, but this moron posted them himself on social media and busted himself!! Mind-boggling.
    SHELLEE, fgg, mostroop and 1 others like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Don't you believe he was just mimicking his pregnant friend who couldn't zip her pants while sipping on a prop drink that was made to look like alcohol but was actually "dark water"? It sounds like a very plausible explanation to me. /s
    fgg likes this.

wtf is "dark water"?
    SHELLEE likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

NSFL Warning

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information