Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Social networks help Republican racism go viral

Quote Originally Posted by My2Cents View Post
    A friend of my husband crossed that line at a BBQ last Saturday. I was so disgusted that I told him it wasn't funny. Most people laughed because they were not comfortable but I couldn't do it. I had to tell him that it was not funny and it was not acceptable. There is a difference but there are many who don't know where the line is and they will cross it.

Or they know where the line is, but they choose to cross it anyway and disguise it as a 'joke.'

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    There have been times when people have crossed a line, or come close to it, and I didn't get overly angry about it, either. But sometimes you have to get angry, just so people will know that you're serious.

Now, personally, I hate political correctness, because I think it's a good idea that went wrong. But there is that line between being un-P.C. and outright racist.

Honestly, most of the time I don't care. Some people can be ignorant, but I don't just brand them as racists because of one or two jokes.

I've had my own boss at times make "jokes" about immigrants that made me feel a little uncomfortable, but I know that he values me as a worker so I don't let it affect me. Idk, maybe I'm too easy going at times.

Quote Originally Posted by oltifreakinbaby View Post
    Honestly, most of the time I don't care. Some people can be ignorant, but I don't just brand them as racists because of one or two jokes.

I've had my own boss at times make "jokes" about immigrants that made me feel a little uncomfortable, but I know that he values me as a worker so I don't let it affect me. Idk, maybe I'm too easy going at times.
    I got into a debate about race with somebody, and told them that as a black person some of the stuff they were saying was ticking me off. He told me I shouldn't get upset because I wasn't black, I was just black-lite, because I didn't fit into the typical stereotype of a black man. I had to laugh at the sheer stupidity. Black-lite? WTF?

[/b]

Or they know where the line is, but they choose to cross it anyway and disguise it as a 'joke.'
    So true. My husband grew up on Staten Island so he knows a whole lot of these types. It is starting to make him uncomfortable but he doesn't want to lose friends he's had since he was 3. I'm ready for him to make new friends.

I got into a debate about race with somebody, and told them that as a black person some of the stuff they were saying was ticking me off. He told me I shouldn't get upset because I wasn't black, I was just black-lite, because I didn't fit into the typical stereotype of a black man. I had to laugh at the sheer stupidity. Black-lite? WTF?
    WOW

So true. My husband grew up on Staten Island so he knows a whole lot of these types. It is starting to make him uncomfortable but he doesn't want to lose friends he's had since he was 3. I'm ready for him to make new friends.

WOW
    Your husband needs some new friends if they keep it up. I'm seriously contemplating getting rid of my friend the birther and I've known him for 20 years. I could care less that he hates Obama, but the monkey comment really ticked me off.

Your husband needs some new friends if they keep it up. I'm seriously contemplating getting rid of my friend the birther and I've known him for 20 years. I could care less that he hates Obama, but the monkey comment really ticked me off.
    It isn't any business of mine, but PLEASE GET RID OF HIM! If he can say these things to your face, just imagine what he says when your back is turned.

It isn't any business of mine, but PLEASE GET RID OF HIM! If he can say these things to your face, just imagine what he says when your back is turned.
    I've been thinking the same thing. It sucks to throw away a friendship, but it looks like that's what I'm going to have to do.

I've been thinking the same thing. It sucks to throw away a friendship, but it looks like that's what I'm going to have to do.
    You should. He doesn't deserve a second thought. Why have such ugliness in your life?

You should. He doesn't deserve a second thought. Why have such ugliness in your life?
    Agreed. And the same applies for your husband with his 'friends' too.

Hell, I just found out today that another one of my friends, a writer, has been plagarizing some of my work for his own use. So, that's two friendships that bite the dust in less than a week.

And this article is shocking how exactly?

Hi, King

Hey, C.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information