Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Showdown! Unions to take on conservative groups health care town halls

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    Not that I agree with everything but they are exercising their ammendment right to free speech. They just want their voice heard, and they want to know what is being said in the meeting.
    Some of these people have ben hired by insurance companies. Now, I fully support Americans' right to free speech, but they're trying to shut down discourse here. That is the point of some of the protesters. I know others have gotten sucked into the melee. What big insurance is doing doesn't help those people either because their opinions aren't being heard.

Can someone say torte reform
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Hit By Ban Bus!

You do not have a right to violently interfere with the free speech rights of fellow citizens. Your 'rights' end at the point where they begin to infringe upon and usurp the rights of others.

This isn't free speech, these retards are being shipped around on someone else's dollar to scream for a paycheck.

That's it.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

It's about to get a hell of a lot worse.
    Anti-Health Care Reform Protester Encourages Physical Violence, Use Of Firearms

By Brian Beutler - August 7, 2009, 2:20PM

Based on the news that health care events are edging into violence, an anti-health care reform protester in New Mexico named Scott Oskay is calling on his hundreds of online followers to bring firearms to town halls, and to 'badly hurt' SEIU and ACORN counter protesters.

Popularized in part by conservative blogger Michelle Malkin, the hashtag symbol he's using, #iamthemob, has gone viral on twitter, appearing several times a minute according to a recent search.

Anti-reform activists have scheduled a protest outside SEIU Missouri offices tomorrow, and officials there are taking these threats seriously.

Late update
    : Looks like they're also getting death threats by phone.
    Anti-Health Care Reform Protester Encourages Physical Violence, Use Of Firearms | TPMDC

an anti-health care reform protester in New Mexico named Scott Oskay is calling on his hundreds of online followers to bring firearms to town halls, and to 'badly hurt' SEIU and ACORN counter protesters.
    Publicly trying to incite violence. He should be getting a visit from the authorities at some point, especially since he was dumb enough to use his real name.

Congressman Jack Kingston (R/GA-1) hosts a healthcare town hall meeting in Valdosta on Monday, August 3. More than 350 people were in attendance. (Photo courtesy Ashleigh Kenny)

Valdosta Town Hall Meeting on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Arianna On "Real Time with Bill Maher," Spars With Jack Kingston And Darrell Issa

Arianna appeared on "Real Time with Bill Maher" Friday night alongside Rep. Jack Kingston (R-GA) and Rep. Darrell Issa (R-CA). During the show's 'Overtime' segment the group had a particularly spirited discussion on such topics as Rush Limbaugh comparing Obama to Hitler as well as the fact that Rep. Kingston had placed a photo of himself posing with a "R.I.P The U.S. Constitution" t-shirt on his Flickr account.

Both of the GOP representatives, after being pressed by Arianna, denounced the use of Hitler comparisons by figures such as Rush Limbaugh, with Rep. Issa saying that invoking Nazi Germany was "off limits" and that "Nobody has a right to use Hitler if it doesn't live up to the atrocities he did."

Kingston, however, played down the idea that there was an outpouring of anger at the recent health care town halls, saying that he had hosted 11 of them and that he didn't see any "hate-mongering." Kingston instead suggested that the whole story was being driven by "Rahm Emanuel and the White House and the spin machine trying to make anyone who opposes 'Obama care' an extremist."

Arianna then asked Kingston to explain why he had posted a photo on Flickr of him holding a t-shirt which read "R.I.P The U.S. Constitution" taken at a health care town hall last week. Kingston defended the photo, saying that he was simply trying to help inspire a young activist who had approached him.

Watch the whole segment here. [To see video, click on the "Click Here To Watch Overtime" window on top left of homepage.]

Huff TV: Arianna Appears On "Real Time with Bill Maher," Spars With Jack Kingston And Darrell Issa

Hit By Ban Bus!

Arianna then asked Kingston to explain why he had posted a photo on Flickr of him holding a t-shirt which read "R.I.P The U.S. Constitution" taken at a health care town hall last week. Kingston defended the photo, saying that he was simply trying to help inspire a young activist who had approached him.

Who gives a shit why he put the pic on his flikr account? Why was that important enough to press him on? Hell I would put up such a photo, it means absolutely nothing in this context.
    Here is what he should have been pressed on:

Kingston, however, played down the idea that there was an outpouring of anger at the recent health care town halls, saying that he had hosted 11 of them and that he didn't see any "hate-mongering."

Of course not, you jackanapes. You are hosting anti reform town halls and liberals/progressives don't use violence to disrupt the discourse of others.

See what he did there? By piously claiming HIS REPUBLICAN town hall meeting was all sweetness and light, and no one challenged him on it, he was allowed to give the impression that DEMOCRATS were the cause of the disruptions at their own town halls

It's amazing how Republicans suddenly care about the Constitution now, but had no problem when Dubya/Cheney were shredding it.

I would've loved to have seen Bill or Arianna rip him about this shirt last night during the live broadcast of Real Time.

The irony...
    August 10, 2009

GLADNEY THE UNINSURED ACTIVIST.... Over the last few days, a conservative activist in St. Louis named Kenneth Gladney seems to have become something of a cause celebre in far-right circles. Depending on which version of events you choose to believe, Gladney either initiated or was involved in a scuffle at a town-hall event late last week.

At least one prominent conservative blogger said Gladney was "brutally attacked" by SEIU members outside the event. After watching the video, there's ample reason for skepticism. Gladney was, in fact, pulled to the ground during the fracas, but he seemed to bounce back up quickly, and is seen walking around soon after without any obvious injuries. His attorney has argued that Gladney was beaten during the fight, but there's nothing in the clip to support that.

Gladney later went to the hospital, claiming to have sustained injuries to his "knee, back, elbow, shoulder and face."

Yesterday, about 200 conservative activists held a protest outside the SEIU office in St. Louis. Gladney was there -- bandaged and in a wheelchair -- as a featured guest. Some of the activists held signs that read, "Don't Tread on Kenny." Reader R.D. alerted me to this tidbit in the local news account of the protest:
    Gladney did not address Saturday's crowd of about 200 people. His attorney, David Brown, however, read a prepared statement Gladney wrote. "A few nights ago there was an assault on my liberty, and on yours, too." Brown read. "This should never happen in this country."

Supporters cheered. Brown finished by telling the crowd that Gladney is accepting donations toward his medical expenses. Gladney told reporters he was recently laid off and has no health insurance. [emphasis added]
    Wait, the conservative opponent of health care reform, fighting (literally) to defeat a plan that would bring coverage to those who lose their jobs, lost his coverage because he got laid off?

I'm not in a position to say whether Gladney sustained genuine injuries or whether he's exaggerating for 15 minutes of Fox News fame and a lucrative out-of-court settlement.

Either way, the new right-wing cause celebre needs to take up a collection to pay for his medical bills because he doesn't have health insurance. It's a fascinating sign of the times.

Steve Benen 8:45 AM
    The Washington Monthly

Un-effin believable!!!! Idiot... These people drive me to drink!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Dude probably hates unions too, which would have possibly prevented him from losing his job.

The twat advocating bringing guns to public forums and hurting people who disagree should be arrested! Even if bullets are never fired, he's still using intimidation to restrict people's freedoms--other than exactly like-minded people, who is going to want to show up when they could be targeted as an outsider by one of the mob?

I can see this all playing out... Blacks=ACORN, Browns=Illegals, Whites=SEIU, eliminate as necessary to defend........private insurer healthcare!!!

The guy who was laid off with no health insurance is so obviously a plant. He probably got a call for a small gig which he was happy to go for since he has no job. It blew up, and here he would rather INCITE VIOLENCE than help save people's lives?

Gladney told reporters he was recently laid off and has no health insurance.
    I got laid off two months ago, and I recently had to shell out over $400 to get those benefits extended with COBRA. So, this guy would rather have no healthcare reform, just because his far right ideology tells him it's a bad thing.

It looks like that Scott Oskay guy is gonna get a visit from the Party Van after those threats.

Enjoy your free party van ride there douchebag:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information