Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Should the Supreme Court allow a Christian cross in a war monument?

I guess I'm just amazed that anyone could try to say that the cross is not, first and foremost, a religious symbol. I guarantee you if you point out the cross to anyone in the world, the first thing they equate it with is Christianity, not a military symbol or a way to honor the dead. Thats why, as witchcurlgirl pointed out, we no longer use it in new memorials. To argue otherwise that its NOT first and foremost a religious symbol really defies all logic. So that doesn't hold weight with me. That cross is there to provide living Christians religious comfort, not to respect the dead. In fact, it disrespects people who weren't Christian by making it seem as if the whole cemetery/war memorial is dedicated to Christ to the exclusion of all other faiths. And I'm not sure why other Christians don't seem to understand that. No one is saying that you can't practice your faith - but why do you NEED to have a cross there to provide comfort? Thats what I really don't get. I would be uncomfortable if I had died overseas and I was buried in a Muslim cemetery that was dedicated to Muslim symbols. It would be hard for my family to see and feel good about. It cuts both ways here.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Ok, before everyone keeps going on the cross being discussed- it's not in a cemetery- no one is buried near this cross. I don't think the original article made that clear.

It was erected by WW1 veterans, who were suffering from shell shock, and a doctor suggested it would be a good project for them. A sort of occupational therapy.

Regarding the buddhist symbol, what I do know is that it wasn't a symbol, it was a Buddhist Shrine, and it was the US Parks Department that denied it in 1999.

Also, the Canadian Cross of Sacrifice at Arlington honors the Americans that fought in the Canadian army in WW1, 2 and the Korean War.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; October 8th, 2009 at 07:14 PM.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Ohhhhhhhhhhh so you DO believe in God or in your case the Sky Fairy?
    I didn't say that, either.

While I have no professed belief in a supreme deity, and see little evidence of it in day to day life.. i also don't have the power or knowledge to completely disprove the existence of one.

Kinda like proving or disproving aliens exist. I can't do it yet

I just happen to the think the entire idea is a bit silly, like unicorns or leprechauns.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Wow, I've never seen someone contradict themselves that fast in one sentence.
    You're seeing things then. There is no contradiction.
    Uh yeah, cuz it's all dead western soldiers in it. Ain't any of their boys!
    You could say the same thing for the one we're talking about in this thread.

January - I said you are bending over backwards the other way. Here is what you said:
    So, as a Christian, if I knew that other people had a problem with it, down it goes.
    Even if the other person who had a problem with it is being unreasonable?? Ok. So where do you draw the line??

As for the Buddhist symbol, we don't know the full story. Was it a politically correct statement as well to incite the argument?? Maybe they had a problem taking down the cross to have it replaced with a Buddhist symbol. All I know from this article is that the cross was legally ordered to be covered up, and the veterans would like it uncovered.

There's no need to be so amazed, January. This is a cross on private land to honor those who have died in battle. The removal of the cross has greatly upset the family members of those who sacrificed their lives in World War 1. It's their private land and they would like to leave the cross there.

A*O

An open mind is a good start with this kind of thing.

I know that Christians are taught to turn the other cheek and so won't get all militant and pissy about this particular situation but I do wonder what would have happened if an Islamic crescent or Jewish star of David were covered up like that?
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiseguy View Post
    You're seeing things then. There is no contradiction.
    Yes, there is. I don't hate christians, yet by stating so you appear stupid.

You could say the same thing for the one we're talking about in this thread.
    Actually no, there are no individual grave markers so it's kind of broad in its application.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Yes, there is. I don't hate christians, yet by stating so you appear stupid.
    Then I stand corrected. Is "intense dislike" better?

Not really. I just hate stupid PEOPLE, and most of them tend to belong to one sky fairy cult or another and enjoy using said cult to do stupid things to others.

^^^Well, you've been throwing the "stupid" word around a lot in this thread and all we are ALL doing is expressing an opinion.

OMG, you're right! Good thing i'm not using it to describe anybody in here!

Boy, you're a life saver! *whew*

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    OMG, you're right! Good thing i'm not using it to describe anybody in here!

Boy, you're a life saver! *whew*

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information